PDA

View Full Version : Latest Wii firmware update breaking consoles

Zeus
09-30-2009, 03:41 PM
It looks as if the new Wii firmware update isn't just killing consoles! It also seems to be killing some Wii systems themselves according to reports on the internet.

<blockquote>Although initial reports suggested that the latest Wii update automatically only removes traces of the homebrew channel, there seems to be a much larger issue: It’s breaking some consoles.

The main issue lies in the actual update process. A program that allows the Wii to boot properly – boot2 – has also been upgraded but it apparently has a high chance of causing write errors. Because of this, some people are experiencing a frozen download screen when trying to download menu 4.2. The Wii will not respond if it’s frozen, and when you take the plug out…Nothing will happen when you boot it back up. This incident doesn’t seem to be happening to every Wii owner, but it looks like this could be a pretty significant problem nonetheless.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=24903" target="_blank">Nintendoeverything</a>

skweezer
09-30-2009, 03:42 PM
It looks as if the new Wii firmware update isn't just killing consoles! It also seems to be killing some Wii systems

it should be
It looks as if the new Wii firmware update isn't just killing HOMEBREW! It also seems to be killing some Wii systems

tech3475
09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Updates for HBC, dvdx and bootmii are available at hackmii.com

Nintendo did some stupid stuff such as only detecting the old ID for the HBC and replacing (not blocking) DVDx and bootmii as boot2.

gizbug
09-30-2009, 04:38 PM
So I guess homebrewers hold off on installing 4.2 eh?

tech3475
09-30-2009, 04:51 PM
So I guess homebrewers hold off on installing 4.2 eh?

I think everyone with a pre-LU64+ wii should hold off for now.

ThreeDog
09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
So this is what happens when consoles update their bootsectors huh? i heard somewhere there's a 1 in 15 chance of your console bricking.
It's almost ironic that it removes bootmii :rolleyes:

mannyman789
09-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Updates for HBC, dvdx and bootmii are available at hackmii.com

Nintendo did some stupid stuff such as only detecting the old ID for the HBC and replacing (not blocking) DVDx and bootmii as boot2.

Give Nintento a break. Their rusty on patching exploits....unlike sony and ms.

drzoidberg
10-01-2009, 05:22 AM
ahh stop ranting

Big N is fucked again ! they are just too dumb to fix their Code

http://hackmii.com/2009/09/silly_games/

there is also an Wanikoko instaler for 4.2 out in the wild

diecast
10-01-2009, 04:46 PM
anyway of this effecting people with chipped wiis? am i safe to update with a orginal wiikey on a launch console?

Umachines
10-01-2009, 08:56 PM
anyway of this effecting people with chipped wiis? am i safe to update with a orginal wiikey on a launch console?

Nope. This update seams to be blocking certain old modchips too. I've got a wiikey (v1) myself and I'm no willing to update to v4.2 until it's absolutly neccesary and the workarounds are well tested too. SM 4.2 has also killed unmodded consoles, since it tries to overwrite boot2, and it's not always successful. And the worst thing (or maybe the best thing if you plan to avoid it too) is that there is not absoluty any good new or improved feature in this crappy update.

amptor
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Hmm nintendo is getting good at breaking stuff. Disabling everyone's homebrew is pretty lame on their behalf and also overhyping shovelware titles is bad enough. I think my Wii would be better off in the recycling bin at the rate things have been going. By making updates cripple the system, all Nintendo is doing is giving me an extremely bad impression of their gaming system. Plus anyway imho the only good game on wii is Tatsunoku vs Capcom and if Capcom was smart they'd port it to xbox and ps3 and ditch the stupid wii.