PDA

View Full Version : Bricked Wii during Preloader 0.29 installation

BDK_UK
10-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey folks,

So, my Wii is in a bad way, so to speak. I'd been happily running 3.2U with HBC and the 0.3gamma loader for ages, but decided I'd try upgrading to the 4.0U system menu using Waninkoko's handy installer.

So, I found this pretty good tutorial (link removed as I can't post it yet!)

And figured I'd follow it to also get preloader and some other useful bits installed.

So, basically what I did was:

Used Twilight Hack to reinstall HBC
Upgraded HBC
Installed cIOS36 rev 9
Updated to menu 4.0U, using "Firmware Updater 4.0"
Patched IOS60

I was then following these steps to install Preloader 0.29:

"Go back to HBC and load "Preloader 0.29 Installer" and after a disclaimer click 1 and then you will be taken to a Recovery menu..."

So, I hit 1, my current system boot loader was moved and Preloader 0.29 was installed. It was then going to reboot, and said it would wait 5 seconds... 15 minutes later, nothing had happened. Completely frozen, no buttons work at all.

I then restarted the Wii, and nothing. No errors, no video signal getting to the TV at all. Tried a component and a composite cable, still nothing. The disk drive works, spits out DVDs happily, but I can't get the Wii to do anything.

I did try holding down the reset button after powering up, but still, nothing gets to the TV at all. :-(

I don't think I have bootmii installed (I may have tried a year or so ago, but there's no /bootmii on my SD card...) and I don't have a NAND backup. So, I'm wondering how/if I can get around this?

Of course, I could send the unit back to Ninty, but it's been heavily modded (software), has some wires hanging off the mobo from a removed mod chip, and is in a fancy shiny silver case... It's also a US model, and I'm based in the UK... So, I think they'll tell me where to stick it, even if I put it back in its original boring white case...

I'm wondering if it's even worth me trying SoftMiiFrii, as I don't have a mod-chip and therefore wouldn't be able to run a recovery DVD? Starting to run out of ideas though...

BDK_UK
10-08-2009, 09:26 AM
So, the link I followed was:

www . consolespot.net/forums/wii-hacking-tuning-customization/16780-how-use-wiigators-wii-backup-loader.html

tech3475
10-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey folks,

So, my Wii is in a bad way, so to speak. I'd been happily running 3.2U with HBC and the 0.3gamma loader for ages, but decided I'd try upgrading to the 4.0U system menu using Waninkoko's handy installer.

So, I found this pretty good tutorial (link removed as I can't post it yet!)

And figured I'd follow it to also get preloader and some other useful bits installed.

So, basically what I did was:

Used Twilight Hack to reinstall HBC
Upgraded HBC
Installed cIOS36 rev 9
Updated to menu 4.0U, using "Firmware Updater 4.0"
Patched IOS60

I was then following these steps to install Preloader 0.29:

"Go back to HBC and load "Preloader 0.29 Installer" and after a disclaimer click 1 and then you will be taken to a Recovery menu..."

So, I hit 1, my current system boot loader was moved and Preloader 0.29 was installed. It was then going to reboot, and said it would wait 5 seconds... 15 minutes later, nothing had happened. Completely frozen, no buttons work at all.

I then restarted the Wii, and nothing. No errors, no video signal getting to the TV at all. Tried a component and a composite cable, still nothing. The disk drive works, spits out DVDs happily, but I can't get the Wii to do anything.

I did try holding down the reset button after powering up, but still, nothing gets to the TV at all. :-(

I don't think I have bootmii installed (I may have tried a year or so ago, but there's no /bootmii on my SD card...) and I don't have a NAND backup. So, I'm wondering how/if I can get around this?

Of course, I could send the unit back to Ninty, but it's been heavily modded (software), has some wires hanging off the mobo from a removed mod chip, and is in a fancy shiny silver case... It's also a US model, and I'm based in the UK... So, I think they'll tell me where to stick it, even if I put it back in its original boring white case...

I'm wondering if it's even worth me trying SoftMiiFrii, as I don't have a mod-chip and therefore wouldn't be able to run a recovery DVD? Starting to run out of ideas though...

Check the sticky. Savemiifrii may be your only option, note that you need SSBB or a mod chip to run the recovery discs.

Only other option is to either replace the mobo or send it to nintendo.

BDK_UK
10-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks - I did have a look at the sticky, and was giving up all hope of using SaveMiiFrii as I don't have a modchip installed. However, I wasn't aware that SSBB would give me anything, so that's a new one on me. I'm lucky enough to have a genuine version of it in the correct region, so would you mind explaining how I'd use it? As simple as booting up with that disk in the drive?

hhishane
10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I ask because I had the same issue. System hangs at the end of preloader installation then when I restarted just get a blank screen.

I continued trying to restart holding down the reset button and eventually it booted to the preloader menu. Try powering down. Wait 10 secs, then hold down the power button and reset buttons for about 5 secs.

Also keep in mind that preloader .29 will not be able to boot the newest version of the HBC (HackMii Installer v0.5 or later) as the title id for the HBC has been changed.

There is a patched version named preloader v0.29 JODI patched that will work with the latest HBC.

VagrantWalker
10-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Did you patch IOS60 via network? Because if so, that's what bricked your system...

tech3475
10-08-2009, 11:45 AM
IF its a US copy, then I believe you should:
1. install Bootmii as boot2 then do a backup
2. access the HBC and run your recovery app e.g. anyregion changer, wad manager, etc.

I have updated the links in the guide to here:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack

Unfortunately I am unable to find a version for PAL copies so try google, if you can find a PAL version please notify me so I can update the sticky.

BDK_UK
10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies! :)

Taking them in order:

hhishane: Thanks, it does sound like we have the same problem. When you say hold down the power and reset buttons for 5 seconds though, I thought you were only supposed to hold down the reset button? I've tried both ways though, and have had no joy yet unfortunately :(

I wonder if my problem is the issue you mentioned where preloader won't load the newest HBC, but in that case I'd expect it to at least give me an error or... something? I literally get nothing at all from my Wii to my TV the whole time.

VagrantWalker: Yes, I did patch IOS60 via the network, but all appeared to go through OK. I even found an install log on my SD card which seemed to confirm that. It was only during the preloader install that I saw issues. Admittedly, the preloader install was straight after the IOS60 patching...

tech3475: Thanks a lot, I'll have a look. For now though, I can't get anywhere near installing Bootmii, as much as I'd like to. :( I do have an NTSC version of SSBB and an NTSC Wii, so it would be a good solution otherwise...

BDK_UK
10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
PS. Forgot to say, I just tried SaveMiiFrii - and didn't get anywhere at all with it! :( I'm positive I had all four directions pressed down on the dismantled GC pad, but no luck, no matter how many times I tried. I was hoping I could use that to get me into the SSBB installer, but no...

tech3475
10-08-2009, 01:22 PM
If savemiifrii performs exactly like savemii:
http://savemii.net/

Apparently you need either a disc with a higher system software than the one you have or a modchip with a patched autoboot disc.

BDK_UK
10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks! I'd have thought it would at least come up with my firmware version when I use SaveMiiFrii though, but I got nothing.

About the disc I need - any idea of any games with a version higher than 4.0? I've got a pretty good selection of original NTSC games, so might be in luck...

hhishane
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
You might be right about just holding down reset. I tried it both ways a few time and it finally worked.

Don't know of any games with a 4.0 update. Wii Sports Resort and Punch Out have updates but I think just 3.4.

tech3475
10-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Also, did you use port 4? Is it an official controller and were any memory cards installed?

VagrantWalker
10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
You have a full brick, none of these recovery methods will work. The IOS60 you downloaded from NUS is a stub, a none working IOS60 which replaces System Menu 4.0/1 with the installation of IOS70 (4.2). I'm sorry, but you're screwed...

tech3475
10-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Just so i can update the sticky, what ios files are now stubs?

BDK_UK
10-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks for your help guys, I guess my only hope is to put the Wii back in its original white case, try to tidy up the wires hanging off the mobo, and send it back to Nintendo in the hope that their support monkeys don't check it too closely! ;)

Just to close off the last few questions:

I've tried various combinations of holding down reset, power+reset, etc, and nothing unfortunately.

And yes, I used an official GC controller, opened up and with all directions pressed on the D-pad, plugged into port 4, nearest the memory card slots. I tried various timings of things - holding down when powering on, after powering on, holding down for 1 second, 5, 10 seconds, etc. And nothing worked at all.

Well, I'll keep this thread updated and let you know how my foray into the world of Nintendo Support goes!!! :D Better put on my "stupid user" voice when I phone them "Gee, I don't know what happened, my kids were just playing Mario happily (oh, they so love Mario) and everything went black... They're so sad, those poor little guys..." :p

xghost360
10-09-2009, 07:49 AM
mate this has happen to me i got black screen i could here the wii boot up eject ect,what fixed it for me i turned my tv off and back on and i had my wii back i know it sounds wacky but i suspect that the tv has been turned off since like the wii,
do you have hackmii installed

VagrantWalker
10-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I'll try and find a list of those stubs for you. I know there was a one lying around the internet somehwere...