PDA

View Full Version : EA: Copycat publishers will FAIL on Nintendo platforms

Zeus
10-21-2009, 08:29 AM
EA has warned that copycat publishers and those who take a 'me too' approach to delivering content on Nintendo systems will FAIL. But that pretty much goes without saying on near enough any platform or product.

<blockquote>Electronic Arts UK VP Keith Ramsdale has warned that publishers producing ‘me too’ product will struggle on Nintendo formats.

The publisher unveiled its Flips range last month – a line-up of e-books for kids on DS from popular authors including Enid Blyton and Eion Colfer.

And Ramsdale said that the range was another example of EA’s innovation in a market notorious for copycat product.

“Where any publisher goes ‘me too’, they’re always going to struggle,” he told MCV. “Unless you’ve got a compelling point of difference, it’s going to be an uphill battle.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36197/EA-warns-against-copycat-publishing" target="_blank">MCVUK</a>

tech3475
10-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Wasnt there that e-book app for the DS released some time ago? EA have no right to talk about innovation considering that most of their catalogue is sequels.

I admit they have tried with Mirrors Edge and Dead space but those seem to be the odd exception which if they were successful would be on the 6th sequel by now.

CharmedonWB
10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Wasnt there that e-book app for the DS released some time ago? EA have no right to talk about innovation considering that most of their catalogue is sequels.

I admit they have tried with Mirrors Edge and Dead space but those seem to be the odd exception which if they were successful would be on the 6th sequel by now.

I think bringing up EA's sequels is ridiculous since every popular gaming franchise has loads of sequels. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, Devil May Cry, God of War, Resident Evil, Megaman, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Street Fighter, Far Cry, etc.

Innovation is more than releasing a new IP, it lies more with what you bring to the gaming industry as a whole. For example, Mario 64 was innovative, it was the first real 3D platformer that worked. Goldeneye, I think, was innovative in that it put a lot of focus on multiplayer. FF7 was innovative in that it successfully used pre-rendered cg. Mortal Kombat was innovative for its brutal fatalities. Resident Evil 4 is innovative in that it was attempted to redefine the survival horror genre by emphasizing reflexes and precision aiming.