PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: We have failed with the Wii

Zeus
10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Nintendo has revealed that it 'failed' with the Wii on a variety of levels. Firstly, they couldn't continually release strong levels of software and implied that a price drop come at a too late time. Although the price drop has seen some momentum returing to them.

<blockquote>
“We failed with the Wii. We were unable to continually release strong software, and let the nice mood cool. We were unable to show a new game to become ‘the next thing.’ In the game market, once you’ve lost the momentum, it takes time to recover. With the price drop, sales returned to a certain level, but they just did not reach the level of last year around this time. We decided that it would be difficult to sell enough to recover from the poor performance of the first half of the year. In order to reach it (20 million target), we’ll have to move quite a large quantity, but it’s a figure we released after having felt the momentum returning [based off the price drop].”</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=26779" target="_blank">Nintendoeverything</a>

ThreeDog
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Bad translations are bad

Update: Looks like the initial statement was mistranslated. Iwata did not say that Nintendo has failed with the Wii and we’ve added in the fully corrected statement in this post.

Over the last few months, the sales of the Wii in Japan (not to mention the U.S.) have been dropping. And today, Nintendo said that there was a 59% drop in first-half profit. During a press conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata admitted that the company failed with the Wii, but did say that the current price drop has stabilized sales somewhat.

“Wii has stalled. We were unable to continually release strong software, and let the nice mood cool. We were unable to show a new game to become ‘the next thing.’ In the game market, once you’ve lost the momentum, it takes time to recover. With the price drop, sales returned to a certain level, but they just did not reach the level of last year around this time. We decided that it would be difficult to sell enough to recover from the poor performance of the first half of the year. In order to reach it (20 million target), we’ll have to move quite a large quantity, but it’s a figure we released after having felt the momentum returning [based off the price drop].”

tech3475
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
This will just increase thr chances of and the rumours of a wii2/HD.

This is what happens when you rely on half a dozen (decent) games to sell a console to your target audience. They should try and make the casual audiences get into their more traditional games but I guess that without free demos they can't, who knows, if the wii had larger storage (e.g. 10GB) and free demos the games soled would have been different.

jackoneil2000
10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I seriously doubt the Wii 2 will come out anytime soon.

crono
10-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Whit nintendo you never know.

The_Nothing
10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Nintendo failed when they made the system to be so damn weak.

If they had made the Wii as strong as Xbox360 or PS3, it probably would have been the better system to get.

Think how good it would be to play a game like Borderlands with the Wiimote. But you cant because the system cannot even run the game.

Make Wii 2 with the same power of the PS3/360 or better. Then Nintendo will be on the right track.

stanleyopar2000
10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
THEY ARE HINTING ABOUT DROPPING THE Wii FORMAT GUYS!!

The Wii 2 might come sooner than we think.

wrathchild
10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
They failed? They made millions and millions of dollars on that piece of crap and they say they failed? **** you Nintendo.

rddr
10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
This will just increase thr chances of and the rumours of a wii2/HD.

This is what happens when you rely on half a dozen (decent) games to sell a console to your target audience. They should try and make the casual audiences get into their more traditional games but I guess that without free demos they can't, who knows, if the wii had larger storage (e.g. 10GB) and free demos the games soled would have been different.

No this is what happens when they only force their First party Games FIRST. They didn't give a damn about third party interest on the Wii till early this year.

ThreeDog
10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
They failed? They made millions and millions of dollars on that piece of crap and they say they failed? **** you Nintendo.

He didn't say they failed he said sales stalled and they did rubbish with content, the story was updated to reflect as such and it was also quoted below Zeus's post. This is an admission that they've failed to capture the third party market again and that plan B is in the works just like DS was waiting for GBA to die.

CharmedonWB
10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Bad translations are bad

That's more like it. I read the initial statement and I said to myself, "There is no way in hell Nintendo released this statement." As of right now, the Wii is the second most successful Nintendo console in the history of the company and in a few more months, it will become the most successful Nintendo console, so obviously the Wii is not a failure. And to the guy that stated that Nintendo only pushed it's first party titles during the Wii's inception does not know what he's talking about. Nintendo tried very hard to get 3rd parties on board. Only Ubisoft had the balls, although the majority of their games sucked. 3rd parties considered the Wii a kiddie machine and that is why there was no developing being done for it.

Capcom could have easily released RE5 on the Wii and chose not to. And do not tell me that the Wii could not handle the game. I have seen computers with lower specs than the Wii run the game. And although all settings were on low, it still looked good, ran well and was a lot of fun.

NeoNight
10-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Sounds more like a cleaver way to introduce the wii 2 while trying not to piss off the people who recently purchased the previous system.

DaveKap
10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
The original article retracted that translation. You should fix your article.

John Crichton
10-30-2009, 02:59 AM
it's funny because the gamecube had greater games but sold poorly compared to the wii

*StoneCold*
10-30-2009, 05:52 AM

Only reading what you want to read i see?

Go f*ck iLLNESS will you?

You are both the same.

Retroboy
10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
lol its nintendo theyre so bothered about forcing crappy controls and forget that people want new fresh games, just like the past 3 nintendo consoles it lacked good games, nintendo need to stop making consoles for unrealistic markets such as granparents and family gaming ect and constant childish games and start following sony and ms and make fun games for family, games for kids and games to suit the grown up market.

Shadow_Satey
10-30-2009, 12:47 PM
This is why I never bought your mindless arm-flailing Wii console. Because it never catered to the hardcore fanbase (mainly the people who grew up with you). You betrayed them. This is why I will not suffer like the rest of the clones who bought your piece of crap only to return it or look at it on their shelves collecting dust.

Now, Wii 2 with HD. Do it right this time! Wii Ni.

MadonnaProject
10-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow, theyre either extremely ungrateful and big headed or this was mistranslated.

The wii is nintendo's most successful modern console in the last 15+ years.

frankmax
10-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Man Nintendo never listen to hard core gamers who will buy more games than say three year olds, people over fifty or people wanting to get 'fit'.

Nintendo are very innovative like the wii motion or the analogue stick on the n64 but lazy and tight as asses...The wii could may have been the best console but they could not be bothered with the power nor integrate a fuckin DVD player (and mp3 on the DSi) and they don't care about supporting third party up until now it seems; They should have learned with the gamecube the lack of third party made it flop compared with the ps2 even though it was a little more powerful, no pes series or Rockstar gettting behind it and other franchises like devil may cry etc.

Reading them fuckin NOM magazines brainwashed me to getting one, but I was young back then:rolleyes:

John Crichton
10-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Nintendo failed when they made the system to be so damn weak.

If they had made the Wii as strong as Xbox360 or PS3, it probably would have been the better system to get.

Think how good it would be to play a game like Borderlands with the Wiimote. But you cant because the system cannot even run the game.

but that would havebeen a greater risk. nobody expected the sales of the wii that high, even nintendo.

niboRasooR
10-31-2009, 12:09 PM
It has now been corrected, that Mr Satoru Iwata never said anything about "failing". It was due to a translation error, that this news duck ever came out :D

Which meant the SALES of the Wii. Wii sales stalled because there was no new IP this year... I think what they mean is last year during this time the Wii Fit blew up the sales. This year Nintendo hasnt got a "hit single" for the Wii... That's all this news is.

But who cares! It's been a great three years with Wii and next year we will celebrate with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M ;D ;D ..

I'm happy with the Wii. There are enough games to keep me busy both single player and multiplayer. Of course I wouldnt mind more choises from 3rd parties.

but that would havebeen a greater risk. nobody expected the sales of the wii that high, even nintendo.

Exactly! We keep forgetting, that Microsoft and Sony could make their hardware ONLY because they are billion dollar companies that can afford to loose such amounts of money. Nintendo just didnt have that luxury especially after GameCubes downfall.

Nintendo made exactly the right choise with the Wii. I mean if it wasn't for the controls, there would be NO-ONE buying the Wii. Now we at least have two choises to pick our preferences from. I can't understand why people complain.

Retroboy
11-03-2009, 04:38 PM

its because nintendo created a fad, they made a massive hype on what the console could do but then lacked strong titles or fresh games, they do not create games that tap into the gaming market, they simply focus on the same market...kids.

Sure ive played a few wii games infact still own a wii but ive not used it in months because the games are boring and have a short shelf life lucky if it even gets a 1 time complete, the only game im really looking forward to is resident evil darkside chronicles.

CharmedonWB
11-04-2009, 09:07 AM
its because nintendo created a fad, they made a massive hype on what the console could do but then lacked strong titles or fresh games, they do not create games that tap into the gaming market, they simply focus on the same market...kids.

Sure ive played a few wii games infact still own a wii but ive not used it in months because the games are boring and have a short shelf life lucky if it even gets a 1 time complete, the only game im really looking forward to is resident evil darkside chronicles.

The Wii still outsells both the 360 and PS3...what kind of fad is that? And kids are not the Wii's main audience.