PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: PS3 and Wii are neck and neck in Japan

Zeus
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Nintendo's Satoru Iwata has revealed that the PS3 and Wii are relatively 'neck and neck' in terms of sales in Japan. Iwata noted that the market share of the Wii and PS3 this year in Japan is about 42 percent to 40 percent.

<blockquote>Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata, has explained that Wii and PS3 are 'neck and neck' in terms of sales in Japan. Mr Iwata also points out that, "However, the total unit sales of home console hardware were down last year and this year."

During his speech to investors, he also pointed out that, "A notable dip can be seen in sales of Wii this year; which is approximately half the size of last year. On the other hand, Sony's PS3 showed a good transition and they increased the unit sales by about 50%...

"Although we held more than a 60% hardware market share through last year - Wii has 42% and PS3 40% share thus far this year - so both machines are neck and neck in Japan."</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://news.spong.com/article/19632/Satoru-Iwata-Wii-and-PS3-are-Neck-and-Neck?via=rss" target="_blank">Spong</a>

GT-RRR
11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Where's the Xbox 36-Oh! wait that's right, Japan doesn't accept poorly-made equipment.

MadonnaProject
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Where's the Xbox 36-Oh! wait that's right, Japan doesn't accept poorly-made equipment.

No, they just don't like american consoles. Also micrsoft is universally hated. Also their recent actions are severely making them lose more good will. Also japanese are strange people with weird tastes. (for young kid's underwear).

Brandogg
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Poorly worded article. They're neck and neck for this year's total sales, but Wii is still ahead by about 3:1 over PS3 in Japan for LTD.

faceless
11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Poorly worded article. They're neck and neck for this year's total sales, but Wii is still ahead by about 3:1 over PS3 in Japan for LTD.

the source is spong, all they do is poorly worded sensationalist articles.

iLLNESS
11-02-2009, 07:15 PM

actually, japan doesnt really accept anything thats not made in japan

msanchez
11-03-2009, 12:13 AM

Yup. Is he trying to get some more $$$ from investors or something?

And could we please try to keep things relevant. Do we always have to see the 360 dragged into these conversations? and even worst yet, do we always have to hear about how xenophobic the japanese are.... well according to illness and madonnaproject anyways?

grapeape
11-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Yup. Is he trying to get some more $$$ from investors or something?

And could we please try to keep things relevant. Do we always have to see the 360 dragged into these conversations? and even worst yet, do we always have to hear about how xenophobic the japanese are.... well according to illness and madonnaproject anyways?

There is some truth to the home loyalty, it doesnt just apply to consoles. The most popular computer brands there are NEC, Fujitsu, Sharp and Sony in that order...HP, Dell, Apple, etc all have single digit marketshares. There are some exceptions such as the ipod but they are few and far between. My only first hand knowledge is having lived there for 4 years..but when I was there you could walk into Yodobashi see a stack of HP's with a lower price tag just sit there while a fujitsu with nearly identical specs and a higher price will sell out....its kinda weird but it was common. A foreign product can make it there but it has to be really unique otherwise it starts out of the gate at a severe disadvantage.

GT-RRR
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Also japanese are strange people with weird tastes. (for young kid's underwear).
Most DEFINATELY! xD

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PG9h1CS1dfo/ShfTHktKeAI/AAAAAAAAIYE/EUNU9cD0KTg/s400/mankini-bros.jpg

msanchez
11-03-2009, 07:53 PM
There is some truth to the home loyalty, it doesnt just apply to consoles. The most popular computer brands there are NEC, Fujitsu, Sharp and Sony in that order...HP, Dell, Apple, etc all have single digit marketshares. There are some exceptions such as the ipod but they are few and far between. My only first hand knowledge is having lived there for 4 years..but when I was there you could walk into Yodobashi see a stack of HP's with a lower price tag just sit there while a fujitsu with nearly identical specs and a higher price will sell out....its kinda weird but it was common. A foreign product can make it there but it has to be really unique otherwise it starts out of the gate at a severe disadvantage.

Well let's face it Dell, HP are crap; Apple though I don't like I can't exactly say they are crap... just not my thing. I do agree that they are ermm a very unique culture with very.... unique tastes, but in the end I think it comes down to western companies not marketing their products properly, or as you said their products not standing out.

I can understand them being reluctant to buy into products from companies that they don't know much about over products from companies they know well, so I would probably do the same thing unless the product catches my eye. If I'm not mistaken most people accessed the net from PCs/Laptops in the west (don't know now with the iphone craze); on the other hand, in Japan, if memory serves me right, accessing the web via mobile phones was the norm; these are the kind of differences I'm talking about.