PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting.

allenella
11-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Hi all.
I have a PS3 slim 250 GB. I wanted to install some version of linux on it. So I did some reading and found out Other OS feature has been removed.

Now here is a theory.

As I read through manual it showed how to remove the hard drive. If I do so, I would be making a partition of the HD with some Window partition software with out removing PS3 OS and will be installing Linux(Ubuntu) on it.

What should I be aware of before I do this and would it work theoretically. A little guidance would help before I realize that I am wasting my time.

ufc-pride
11-06-2009, 05:21 AM
think your wasting your time mate, the PS3 formats the complete drive and the PS3 OS is in a different format from any other OS.

i'm pretty sure that Windows cannot read a PS3 drive

skuhn
11-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I agree with what was said above.

twoboys
12-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Me three.

Sorry, it can't be done. Too many internal components have changed in the Slim. The doors that were open on the origional consoles are now non existant on the new board.

If your really wanting Linux that much there is a way to put Ubuntu onto your PC or Laptop in a dual boot configuration with your normal OS without compomising anything you currently have on there. Google Ubuntu for details.

You can also install nearly any Linux OS (x86/x64 versions) on a similarly compatible PC or Laptop using VMware. That will create a system in a system that will boot and close from within your own OS. It will even sync up your internet connection and most, if not all, of your components automatically when it installs.

I'm on Windows 7 and in my VMware I currently have Ubuntu running really well.

Hope this post helps, and points you in the right direction as to you how and where you CAN install Linux.

allenella
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys for the heads up. Damn those lucky PS3(fat) owners :D

__tristan
01-09-2010, 05:59 AM
:confused:what does the OS feature really do for the ps3?