PDA

View Full Version : Reggie: New Super Mario Bros. will outsell Modern Warfare 2

Zeus
11-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Reggie Fils-Aime has made a huge claim - that is that the New Super Mario Bros. will outperform Modern Warfare 2 on one system by the time January 2010 NPD data comes out. Given the pulling power of Mario, we don't expect that to be too difficult on second thought.

<blockquote>Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO of Nintendo of America, offered his own thoughts about Mario Bros. Wii’s sales on the latest episode of GameTrailers TV and said that it will outperform Modern Warfare 2 on one system by the time the January 2010 NPD data rolls by. We’ll be posting the full quote from Reggie shortly.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=27269" target="_blank">Nintendoeverything</a>

GT-RRR
11-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Absolutely... NO WAY is Mario going to outsell Modern Warfare 2, everybody knows how good Modern Warfare is and CoD in general, and the hype for this game has risen to the level of GTA IV for goodness sake, it's going to sell like extremely gorgeous hotcakes!!

kama
11-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Absolutely... NO WAY is Mario going to outsell Modern Warfare 2
Wanna bet the new Mario game is going to outsell MW2 on the Wii?

CharmedonWB
11-06-2009, 07:31 AM
What is the point of making these types of predictions? You don't really gain anything if you are right and you look like a complete idiot of if you are wrong. I guess a media person asked Reggie how Mario will perform against MWII just to create a story where there is not one.

Modern Warfare II is cross platform on the 360, PS3 and the PC so I am not sure if NSMB can outsell all three of them together. CoD4 already sold almost 13M units on the PS3 and 360 alone. Mario Galaxy has sold about 8.2M; on the other hand, Mario Kart has sold a little over 18M. Mario Kart DS sold 16M which is in line with its Wii counterpart. New Super Mario Bros. on the DS sold nearly 20M copies so I think the Wii game will have the potential to outsell MWII but I am not sure that it will.

If you look at the preorder charts, on the 360 and PS3, MWII has wracked up about 2.3M sales and NSMB only has .284M units sold. As of now MWII is outselling NSMB 8-1. However, it is worth mentioning that Mario has longer legs than Modern Warfare. NSMB might outsell each individual platform, but collectively, I don't think we have enough information yet to make that statement.

GT-RRR
11-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Wanna bet the new Mario game is going to outsell MW2 on the Wii?
Absolutely!

If Mario sells more than Modern Warfare 2 in the first week, I will personally DELETE my account here!

How's that for a wager!

Xenogears V
11-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Absolutely!

If Mario sells more than Modern Warfare 2 in the first week, I will personally DELETE my account here!

How's that for a wager!

Mate. Wii has sold 100 milion consoles. 360 only 40 milion, it noraml that Mario or in generally wii console, games are most seller.

John Crichton
11-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Ok, i'm in. I'm buying Mario and no MW2!

But since I bought almost every mario game and not a single cod, that's no surprise :D

faceless
11-06-2009, 08:21 AM
pretty safe guess by Reggie... Galaxy is a 'confusing 3D game' and it sold pretty well, NSMB Wii looks like a pretty version of what people remember playing or seeing 20 years ago, it's gonna easily sell more than Galaxy, and COD is just another stepping stone.

MadonnaProject
11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Just die reggie you overgrown mixed freak.

CharmedonWB
11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Absolutely!

How's that for a wager!

That's a no brainer bet especially when preorder numbers are way in favor of MWII. The difference in this scenario will be that mario's legs will be longer than COD.

kama
11-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Absolutely!

How's that for a wager!
I hope you do realize I said on the Wii.

FYI, MW2 is going to sell 0 copies on the Wii.

ThreeDog
11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Blah Blah Marketing Hype Blah other than long term sales can these games really be compared? Is this even the same audience or sales style?

Just for useless numbers how many people here will be buying NSMB or MW2 or even both of them?

dannybII
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
The legs on Mario being longer? Aside from the fact he's a short ar$ed plumber :D I'm not convinced. The original modern warfare (COD 4) still sells in most game shops for full price 2 years after it came out, and is still played and loved online like nothing I've ever known.
I'm not saying Mario doesn't have longevity, In fact I fully aknowledge most Mario episodes are viewed as classics.... BUT COD.... c'mon Infinity Ward have really created a beaut of a game. Single player is only 5 hours admittedly (in 4 and 6), but I must have done thousands of online hours on it. (COD 5 is sh!te BTW, but thats not Infinity Wards).
I'm no fan of cutesy platformers so it won't come as any great surprise me taking this stance, unless Mario gets bundled with every WII like Wii Sports it won't sell as many and it wont sell full price for as long. It won't be played with such enthusiasm by so many for so long either.

totaleclipse_05
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Mate. Wii has sold 100 milion consoles. 360 only 40 milion, it noraml that Mario or in generally wii console, games are most seller.

Wow, I had no idea they doubled their sales since the last time I checked. Source please?

djkatarat
11-06-2009, 05:01 PM
The legs on Mario being longer? Aside from the fact he's a short ar$ed plumber :D I'm not convinced. The original modern warfare (COD 4) still sells in most game shops for full price 2 years after it came out, and is still played and loved online like nothing I've ever known.
I'm not saying Mario doesn't have longevity, In fact I fully aknowledge most Mario episodes are viewed as classics.... BUT COD.... c'mon Infinity Ward have really created a beaut of a game. Single player is only 5 hours admittedly (in 4 and 6), but I must have done thousands of online hours on it. (COD 5 is sh!te BTW, but thats not Infinity Wards).
I'm no fan of cutesy platformers so it won't come as any great surprise me taking this stance, unless Mario gets bundled with every WII like Wii Sports it won't sell as many and it wont sell full price for as long. It won't be played with such enthusiasm by so many for so long either.

check the price of mario kart for ds. that game is the same price as its always been since 2005 (or maybe even longer, i dont remmeber when it came out). and ME PERSONALLY...i sell about 1 copy of it everday.

also, from what i remember reading (the original post), nsmbwii will sell more than any ONE of the systems..for example..it will sell more than 360 individually, ps3 individually...:)

but i think it has the potential to sell more than the systems combined. lets see what happends:)

i personally dont like COD. the last fps i liked was goldeneye on n64:)

GT-RRR
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I hope you do realize I said on the Wii.

FYI, MW2 is going to sell 0 copies on the Wii.
Yea and Super Duper Mario is going to sell 0 copies on the PS3.

Anil8tr
11-06-2009, 05:36 PM

I think your numbers may be a bit off as you skipped a couple of platforms. 1 or maybe even 2 people may be picking this up on PS3 and PC as well.:rolleyes: This thing is going to sell by the truck loads!

CharmedonWB
11-06-2009, 10:35 PM
check the price of mario kart for ds. that game is the same price as its always been since 2005 (or maybe even longer, i dont remmeber when it came out). and ME PERSONALLY...i sell about 1 copy of it everday.

also, from what i remember reading (the original post), nsmbwii will sell more than any ONE of the systems..for example..it will sell more than 360 individually, ps3 individually...:)

but i think it has the potential to sell more than the systems combined. lets see what happends:)

i personally dont like COD. the last fps i liked was goldeneye on n64:)
Goldeneye is one of the greatest shooters ever!

GT-RRR
11-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Goldeneye is one of the greatest shooters ever!
There's no denying that, it was just brilliant!

EL_CAD
11-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Absolutely!

How's that for a wager!

No one but you said the first week. Top Nintendo games sell well for months on end, while most other games sell well the first few weeks after launch and then drop off the charts for good.

The last New Super Mario Bros. outsold MW. I'm sure MW sold more in it's launch month, but all other months Mario wins.

GT-RRR
11-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Top Nintendo games sell well for months on end, while most other games sell well the first few weeks after launch and then drop off the charts for good.
Games like what? Wii-Fit? Wii-Sports? Wii-Sports Resort? WiiPlus?

Ever wonder why?

Because "for months on end" they advertise the SAME game (Wii-Sports, WiiPlus) and then more people buy the same game, that and the fact that there is nothing else advertised for the Wii that people think to buy, just 1st Party Wii Titles, and another thing is that they hype up little stupid gimmicks (Wii-Fit, Wii-Plus) and then get a bunch of actors to say crap like "I lost 25st using Wii-FIT!)

Same thing with the DS, that Brain Training game was advertised CONSTANTLY, even over a YEAR after it was released! So I wonder why they sold "for months on end"...

Where-as games for the PS3 and 360 get advertised up until the release and a few weeks afterwards and that's it, different adverts come in for DIFFERENT games, not the same adverts repeatedly.

P.S. Wii-Sports can't count for selling for months on end because it was bundled with the Wii ever since it was launched.

CharmedonWB
11-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Games like what? Wii-Fit? Wii-Sports? Wii-Sports Resort? WiiPlus?

Ever wonder why?

Because "for months on end" they advertise the SAME game (Wii-Sports, WiiPlus) and then more people buy the same game, that and the fact that there is nothing else advertised for the Wii that people think to buy, just 1st Party Wii Titles, and another thing is that they hype up little stupid gimmicks (Wii-Fit, Wii-Plus) and then get a bunch of actors to say crap like "I lost 25st using Wii-FIT!)

Same thing with the DS, that Brain Training game was advertised CONSTANTLY, even over a YEAR after it was released! So I wonder why they sold "for months on end"...

Where-as games for the PS3 and 360 get advertised up until the release and a few weeks afterwards and that's it, different adverts come in for DIFFERENT games, not the same adverts repeatedly.

P.S. Wii-Sports can't count for selling for months on end because it was bundled with the Wii ever since it was launched.

I think he meant games along the line of Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart DS, Pokemon, etc.

dannybII
11-10-2009, 01:58 AM
But would you still be selling mario kart DS at such a rate if there had been a (well 2 now) sequels since it's launch? I doubt it very much.
The COD franchise is a phenomenon.
I will agree that the figure sold will be across PC, 360 and PS3 so is a little unfair, but as a gamer and knowing as many gamers as I do theres only 1 word on peoples lips (well 3) Modern Warfare 2.

NeoNight
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
if there are more wii's sold then 360's AND everyone or nearly everyone who has bought one picks up NSMBwii then... yeah.

Azariel
11-12-2009, 04:16 AM
If you compare the development and marketing costs, I am pretty sure NSMB Wii wins ... cheaper, accessible, and has the same damn tag price!! :eek: But MW2 has a winning card ...Online!!! Kids can sell their mother, or a Kidney, for online experience! :D

EL_CAD
11-12-2009, 07:17 PM
If you compare the development and marketing costs, I am pretty sure NSMB Wii wins ... cheaper, accessible, and has the same damn tag price!! :eek: But MW2 has a winning card ...Online!!! Kids can sell their mother, or a Kidney, for online experience! :D

Wii games are $10 cheaper here in the US.