PDA

View Full Version : PC owners fear Modern Warfare 2 is a console port

Zeus
11-07-2009, 09:50 AM
It's every hardcore PC gamers worst nightmare, one of their most favorite games on the PC platform was actually ported over from the 'inferiror' set of consoles. Well that is a growing view that some PC gamers have regarding Modern Warfare 2.

<blockquote>
One last kick to the PC gamers is the lack of a Console Mode (a mode where PC gamers are able to enter commands directly into the game). When asked if Modern Warfare 2 was simply a console port, Infinity Ward said "No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings."

Apparently, they have absolutely no idea what was meant by the question. And the real answer is "Yes, why the hell would we develop 2 games, when we can just make one and get the same amount of money?"

But the suprises aren't limited to PC gamers. Xbox 360 gamers are being locked out of features as well.</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.stageselect.com/N4691--1--pc-gamers-fear-modern-warfare-2-is-a-console-port-.aspx" target="_blank">Stageselect</a>

Xenogears V
11-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Pc games are dead.

Mchief298
11-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Pc games are dead.

No, not dead... but dying. This is ridiculous... Game Devs are getting too greedy for their own good... Thinking they can take out needed features to a game because they think it's a smart idea? That's all this is is just a console to PC direct Port with mouse and keyboard controls... Come on IW give us a damn game! A Good game....

CharmedonWB
11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes, let us continue this PC games are dying b/s. I have heard this nonsense over the past twenty years. Every new generation continues this fallacious argument where the old guard left off. RE 5 was developed for the PC and ported over to the consoles. I wouldn't necessarily call it greed either, but these developers seem to have the misconception that piracy has a huge definitive impact on their bottom line, which is why they try and stretch every last dime out of a game.

GT-RRR
11-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I cannot sit on my laptop and play a game, anything can either slow it down, make it crash, or just have some other 'unexpected' errors show up.

Plus... why the hell would I want to shell out loads more money to upgrade my PC/Laptop to play a game which I paid for anyway, not even fully knowing if the upgraded components will work 100%, when I can just buy it for the PS3 and have it guaranteed to work everytime and no errors what-so-ever!

GT-RRR
11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
RE 5 was developed for the PC and ported over to the consoles.
Every game capcom makes is developed for the PC, and THEN ported to consoles, and then the corresponding PC versions are released at a later date to the console versions.

jackoneil2000
11-07-2009, 11:22 AM
hahaha

I use to be a PC gamer before I was really turned off and went to XBOX.

I think the PC is inferior for gaming simply because you have to spend $1000 upgrading your PC every time you want to play a new game just becuase your PC doesn't meet minimum requirements

PC gaming is are rip off.

But I have to say that console gaming is also becoming a rip off, with paid add-on updates and new map packs and to play online.

I miss the good old days when map packs (company or user generated) and online gameplay were 100% free. But that still doesn't compare to the costs of upgrading your PC all the time.

I also enjoy the fact that its not the users responsibility to make sure that the game works smooth.

danight
11-07-2009, 11:38 AM
pc gaming has always owned mmo/ fps/ rts genre...

yet game devs like IW are getting to freaking greedy... "hey if microsoft can charge for xbox live why cant we?"..."lets raise the price of the game by 10 dollars and no 1 will notice we took away features."

IW is trying to make cod a MMO... plain and simple... next cod will probably be names COD: world at warcraft :mad:

If this version of cod is a hit.. next year they will screw us more until they can charge a monthly fee to play this game... :mad:

PC gamers know IW stole ideas from the x4 mod for pc...and used in MW2. But console owners never got mods so they dont know and think "aww man thats so cool".
Console gamers do a fast search on google for X$ mod for cod4 and look at some of the features like custom kill streaks, nukes, attack heli etc etc..

WoW is probably not getting to many new oplayers and they need a fresh game to cover them... enter cod MMO.

IW can hire companies to go after pirates... they can spam tv with a commercial for the mf2 special edition xbox 360... but they cant make a new engine or give dedicated servers????
there is probably 10,000 servers out there for cod4 and probably another 6,000 for WaW yet IW says "pc gamers are a small minority of gamers."

Screw IW and MF2!.....

GO DICE!!!!!!! and BF:BC2 and BF3!!!!!! SAVE US FROM IW AND CRAPIVISION!!

ThreeDog
11-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm sure its a great game and can't wait to get my copy but how does IW go from being one of the most popular developers to this over the space of a few weeks?

It sounds like they've turned MW2 into a Games for windows live game, they've removed dedicated servers, player counts are down to 9vs9 and no option to boost it like COD4 64 player matches, no console and so on.
Most gamers may play vanilla but without mods COD4 would of been overrun with cheaters on PC punkbuster is a rubbish solution and doesn't work so if the community cannot even improve on that IW have no hope for making a fair play environment.
Section 8 let you download a dedicated server package using your key why can't IW do that? Why can't they even run a proper key server to block pirates?

I wouldn't be so mad but if developers are going to be pushing us to onto consoles using crap ports then they need to force the issue of keyboard/mouse support making sure it supports an open hardware model and keyboard/mouse only games for the whiners out there.

QrafTee
11-07-2009, 12:34 PM
I cannot sit on my laptop and play a game, anything can either slow it down, make it crash, or just have some other 'unexpected' errors show up.

Plus... why the hell would I want to shell out loads more money to upgrade my PC/Laptop to play a game which I paid for anyway, not even fully knowing if the upgraded components will work 100%, when I can just buy it for the PS3 and have it guaranteed to work everytime and no errors what-so-ever!Hey, hey, just because you have a shitty PC doesn't mean that applies to all of us.

arnold101
11-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Pc games are dead.

ma che cazzo dici...

soulbwoy
11-07-2009, 12:55 PM
even if you are a pirate pc gaming is expensive because of the costly hardware upgrades.

soulbwoy
11-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey, hey, just because you have a shitty PC doesn't mean that applies to all of us.

an adequate pc has a shorter lifespan than a console

d33znutzEP
11-07-2009, 12:58 PM
hahaha

I use to be a PC gamer before I was really turned off and went to XBOX.

I think the PC is inferior for gaming simply because you have to spend $1000 upgrading your PC every time you want to play a new game just becuase your PC doesn't meet minimum requirements

PC gaming is are rip off.

But I have to say that console gaming is also becoming a rip off, with paid add-on updates and new map packs and to play online.

I miss the good old days when map packs (company or user generated) and online gameplay were 100% free. But that still doesn't compare to the costs of upgrading your PC all the time.

I also enjoy the fact that its not the users responsibility to make sure that the game works smooth.

Wow.... most ignorant comment of the month right here...

EL_CAD
11-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Plus... why the hell would I want to shell out loads more money to upgrade my PC/Laptop to play a game which I paid for anyway, not even fully knowing if the upgraded components will work 100%, when I can just buy it for the PS3 and have it guaranteed to work everytime and no errors what-so-ever!

Don't know why anyone would think a laptop could run modern games. Though Thorchlight runs good even on a netbook.

Not much can be upgraded on a laptop, except memory, which is not usually the problem with running games.

I played quite a few games on the PS3 that have not run at 100% without errors, like Fallout 3 and Orange Box.

Back on topic. As a PC owner I am not buying MW2. It's overpriced and does not promise much that I can't already do with mods on part 1. Even if MW1 is a port, I can can still run it real HD and with better controls. I never was a big fan of MW anyway and prefer the Battlefield series. The games I plan on getting this fall do not include MW2, but I do plan on getting a few PC games like L4D2, Torchlight, Dragon Age and Tropico 3.

CharmedonWB
11-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Every game capcom makes is developed for the PC, and THEN ported to consoles, and then the corresponding PC versions are released at a later date to the console versions.

Street Fighter 2 was developed for coin operated arcade systems and then ported to consoles and Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 were first released for the Playstation, RE 4 was first released for the GC. Devil May Cry was developed for the Playstation and Megaman was developed for the NES.

UltraPic
11-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Street Fighter 2 was developed for coin operated arcade systems and then ported to consoles and Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 were first released for the Playstation, RE 4 was first released for the GC. Devil May Cry was developed for the Playstation and Megaman was developed for the NES.
I think you've misunderstood what that dood was saying. CV onwards are pretty much pc games ported to console (you pretty much see that after the capcom logo), thats why they move from platform to platform pretty well.

MadonnaProject
11-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, this is one moderately good game and look at the trouble its causing. JUST....WOW.

msanchez
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Well I'm not a fan of PC gaming anymore, and I'll be the first one to say that before it was simply too expensive for me, but it's really not that expensive anymore to get yourself a great gaming pc, and sure you'll have to make some upgrades, but you save about $10 for every game vs the console price, so getting a new video card every other year isn't that much of a hassle.... unless you wanna get the most bleeding edge $600+ cards, which 99.5% of the time are unnecesary. Not that I plan to go back to PC gaming, I'm just too lazy to tweak my pc anymore, and I appreciate the pickup and play-ableness of consoles.

Anywho, I'm opposed to the simplification of games series to cater to lesser gamers, if you wanna make a console shooter for the "Wii-generation" gamer then go right ahead... they deserve love too, but leave old series out of it, or at the very least make it a spin-off.

nivalis
11-07-2009, 04:52 PM
PC Gaming costs more, but they can also do infinately more than consoles, have an infinate selection of peripherals, no real restriction on things, the BEST modding community, and of course, something console fanboys usually like to overlook.

When a game is released multiplatform, console fanboys love to fight over whos looks the best, pc gamers don't need to, it will always look the best on PC.

So sure, it costs more, but kids throwing around numbers like $1000 dont have a clue, you only need to spend about half that to have a pc easilly capable of outclassing any current gen console on the market.

Why spend so much you ask?, console fans have to wait several years for the next generation console, pc owners are already there.
They've been running games at '1080p' and higher resolutions on CRT monitors since the days console fans were creaming over the crappy resolutions of the ps1, saturn and n64.

John Crichton
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
everythingok, but i love to play on my sofa more than before my pc screen

iLLNESS
11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
PC Gaming costs more, but they can also do infinately more than consoles, have an infinate selection of peripherals, no real restriction on things, the BEST modding community, and of course, something console fanboys usually like to overlook.

When a game is released multiplatform, console fanboys love to fight over whos looks the best, pc gamers don't need to, it will always look the best on PC.

So sure, it costs more, but kids throwing around numbers like $1000 dont have a clue, you only need to spend about half that to have a pc easilly capable of outclassing any current gen console on the market.

Why spend so much you ask?, console fans have to wait several years for the next generation console, pc owners are already there.
They've been running games at '1080p' and higher resolutions on CRT monitors since the days console fans were creaming over the crappy resolutions of the ps1, saturn and n64.

have you ever played an ea sports game for pc? they suck
bootup nhl2009 for example. WOW, that was horrible on PC

Cue
11-07-2009, 05:50 PM
A PC can last longer than the average console while usually performing on par or better than a console. people who complain about price just look at the most expensive PC parts around and ignore the good mainstream parts which still outspec any console around.
this is from a year ago so specs and price are even better now
http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/128549-300-gaming-pc.html

one thing that this doesn't include though is a windows OS which makes the price rise considerably but seeing as people were talking about piracy it's not a problem for them.

One thing people tend to forget is the cost of DLC on a console, especially on xbox 360. you pay for DLC whereas PC owners get it for free (legally). A lot of people are guessing IWNET is a way of making people pay for MW2 DLC on the PC but we'll have to wait and see.

QrafTee
11-07-2009, 06:06 PM
an adequate pc has a shorter lifespan than a consoleEh... I guess that depends what you mean by "adequate" and whether you just have to play PC games at the highest resolution possible with every setting turned Ultra High with modded HD textures and whatnot.

bobbydavro
11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
MW was a console port would you expect anything different from MW2?

EL_CAD
11-07-2009, 06:46 PM

I haven't even spent a grand on my last 2 gaming PCs, including monitors. Both can play most every game I want. The older one has some troubles with a few new games but it is like 4 years old now and only has a ATI X700 from an even older PC, but it still runs Fallout 3, and L4D just fine. I could upgrade for it a $100 and get a more modern video card that could even run Crysis level games, not that I feel the need to, since my other rig already runs everything. But really there is no reason to spend more than $160 on video now, since they can do it it all. Plus if you are satisfied with console level graphics then why bother spending more then $55 on a video card and just get a Radeon HD 4650 512MB and slap it in any old Dell or HP with a PCIe slot.

somenetdude
11-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I use pc for some games.. emulation mostly. otherweise xbox 1 does all my other emulations.

first game I played on PC was Half Life

grapeape
11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Sometimes its not money or hardware its just personal choice. My i7 rig would make for a fine gaming machine if I could actually come up with enough desire to buy and install a game, but I decided I was done with PC gaming a 3-4 years ago and haven't looked back. I know its all a matter of taste but I just find console gaming allows for more spontaneity and flexibility at least in terms of what I want from a gaming experience.

From my experience most PC gamers tend to look down on console gaming because they dont feel that PC gaming is respected...when really the issue is console gamers just generally dont care. I know PC gaming can give more fps and higher resolutions, etc...it just doesnt matter to me.

jackoneil2000
11-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Wow.... most ignorant comment of the month right here...

Whats wrong with you? I upgraded and bought so many countless times that $1000 is an under estimation. When ever I buy a new PC or upgrades and I spend at least $2000 every year.

So just cuz you are too cheap to keep up, it makes you ignorant of the costs some people endure to play the latest games that year.

Cue
11-08-2009, 02:45 AM
From my experience most PC gamers tend to look down on console gaming because they dont feel that PC gaming is respected...when really the issue is console gamers just generally dont care. I know PC gaming can give more fps and higher resolutions, etc...it just doesnt matter to me.

I think that is all well and good... not caring... but what you end up with instead is someone giving unjustified reasons for why PC gaming is of no interest. The common ones you hear are "I'll have to pay 1000 every year to keep up", "I like sitting on a couch playing on my <insert size here> inch TV", "I prefer a pad". These reasons are not valid at all but actually spawn from common misconceptions of PC gaming and almost every PC gamer feels the need to tell them that's not a reason since you can do all that if you wanted to and you don't need the latest hardware to get console quality.
I'm pretty sure most PC gamers don't care if PC gaming is not respected as long as it is supported by the developers (which I guess derives from the former). they usually raise the point of higher res and better visuals in a console X verses console Y debate about graphics and once they do they get one of the irrelevant and invalid arguments in the examples above.

I love PC gaming for its convenience. I don't even have to insert any discs since I use Steam but I do see how this convenience may be outweighed by some of the more technical issues in PC gaming like drivers and such. That would be a very valid reason to dislike PC gaming, problem is valid reasons are not usually raised. if console gamers did not really care they really should not tell others why they do not like PCs because a PC gamer is likely to inform them of the truth thinking that they have helped them in some way to overcome the reason they gave for not gaming on PC.

Z3R0B4NG
11-08-2009, 03:07 AM
You all are getting it wrong!

A Gaming PC has better Hardware, granted.
The Consoles are more easy to use, usually.

THATS IT!

The main reason to buy one or the other is the content (= games!)!

And when it comes to games it is a matter of TASTE and OPTIMIZATION!
You like Halo? Xbox! You like Counter Strike? PC!

For Multiplatform Games it depends on many factors, the most important one is OPTIMIZATION!
You will not have much fun on the Xbox/PS3 if a PC game isn't optimized for the controller and there are enough Games with bad Gameplay and/or horrible FPS problems and even realy bad Bugs!
For the PC the creator can not optimize it, he has to give us the options to optimize it ourself! For example Star Wars Force Unleashed only allows to change the Resolution and uses a 30FPS Limit which is just cheap!

For Modern Warfare 2... just look what happened to the Unreal Tournament series!
UT2004 was so perfect that i had the IP from the Server i was playing on in my away message in ICQ... AUTOMATIC!
UT3 ...well lets just say it had not that much options, the UE3 still sucks on PC and a big part of the former big UT community just left!

The same will happen to Modern Warfare 2.
With the only diffrence that UT (the game not the UE3 engine!) was never a big name on the Consoles but MW is.

weeboo
11-08-2009, 04:44 AM
idk about pc games if theyre dying, but if youre talking about pc games that theyre not as good as console games and console games are much better.... youre joking me right? there are reasons why hardcore gamers still use pc as their choice of system to play games.

offtopic.
who prefer playing fps games with a keyboard or controller in here? i prefer using keyboard whenever i play fps games, but its kinda sad its not available in console. only in pc. i know you could buy those xecuter device so you can hook a keyboard in your 360 or ps3....but its kinda sux using one since who the fck youre kiddin? you have more advantage using a keyboard than those guys using controllers (its not fair). i hope microsoft and sony can add keyboard as one of controller in their future console for people who want to use keyboard while playing fps games. separate rooms during online game, one room is for gamers who are using keyboard and one room is for gamers who are using controller in order to have a fair game. other than that.... if anyone using those device that lets you hook keyboard in 360 or ps3 right now, shame on you.

iLLNESS
11-08-2009, 06:07 AM
idk about pc games if theyre dying, but if youre talking about pc games that theyre not as good as console games and console games are much better.... youre joking me right? there are reasons why hardcore gamers still use pc as their choice of system to play games.

offtopic.
who prefer playing fps games with a keyboard or controller in here? i prefer using keyboard whenever i play fps games, but its kinda sad its not available in console. only in pc. i know you could buy those xecuter device so you can hook a keyboard in your 360 or ps3....but its kinda sux using one since who the fck youre kiddin? you have more advantage using a keyboard than those guys using controllers (its not fair). i hope microsoft and sony can add keyboard as one of controller in their future console for people who want to use keyboard while playing fps games. separate rooms during online game, one room is for gamers who are using keyboard and one room is for gamers who are using controller in order to have a fair game. other than that.... if anyone using those device that lets you hook keyboard in 360 or ps3 right now, shame on you.

the only people who say **** about pc being hardcore, fps gaming is better blah blah blah mouse and keyboard blah blah blah are the people who suck so bad with a controller they can only play fps with mouse/kb

people who grew up playing fps on consoles have absolutely no issue playing fps on console. people who play fps on pc all they do is whine and ***** about how theres no mouse and keyboard.

GT-RRR
11-08-2009, 06:24 AM
the only people who say **** about pc being hardcore, fps gaming is better blah blah blah mouse and keyboard blah blah blah are the people who suck so bad with a controller they can only play fps with mouse/kb

people who grew up playing fps on consoles have absolutely no issue playing fps on console. people who play fps on pc all they do is whine and ***** about how theres no mouse and keyboard.
Exactly, people who play Consoles don't like using PC controls, and people who play on PC's don't like Console controls...

I have a mate of mine used to play Call of Duty 2 on the PC and then he played Call of Duty 3 on the PS3 and he kept complaining that you don't get to "aim and target as good as you can on the PC"... yet I can go through multiple games on the PS3 and totally pwn but my mate blames it on crappy Console controls lol.

muliqueen
11-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Got my copy of MW2 yesterday for PS3 (they shipped early just in case the postal strikes in the uk messed it up). Ive got to say im loving the game and i think that for £40 for this is well worth it on any platform even without extra features and people should just stop moaning about the little flaws and see the positives!

CharmedonWB
11-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Personally I hate the mouse/keyboard combination. I am no good at it and there are too many buttons to push. I wish all PC games would come with gamepad support. A lot of people hated RE 4 on the PC because of the lack of keyboard/mouse support but I loved it.

msanchez
11-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Got my copy of MW2 yesterday for PS3 (they shipped early just in case the postal strikes in the uk messed it up). Ive got to say im loving the game and i think that for £40 for this is well worth it on any platform even without extra features and people should just stop moaning about the little flaws and see the positives!

I don't think the issue is with the game being bad. If I were to buy it I would get the ps3 version, so personally I have no issues with the game, but IW did in fact give a big finger to the PC gamers and I don't like that. Besides if we just let this slide in the near future you can be sure they'll do something that will eventually affect me.

dsav
11-08-2009, 11:03 AM
^all u own is a ps3 anyway right ?

for those with ps3, do you use L1 and R1 for triggers ? really no reason you should even if sony made the triggers on the ps3 dual shock so crappy.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74516

^anyways i suggest PS3 Real Triggers add-on, makes a huge difference, with those the L2 and R2 buttons are actually usable, really good.

anyways i agree all the pc gamers just whine about a mouse an keyboard, personally it was the first way i ever played a fps like 15 years ago, but i never liked it much.

i prefer a controller (360 these days) over anything else.

it's almost perfect.

msanchez
11-08-2009, 02:04 PM
^all u own is a ps3 anyway right ?...

I'm pretty sure my pc could run with above minimum settings if I should go through the bother of installing the game, but as I've said before I'm not a fan of PC gaming anymore (rarely I'll play something I can't get on consoles for one reason or another)... hence why I say that this doesn't affect me personally.

CharmedonWB
11-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I have a Geforce 7950GX2 which was top of the line four generations ago and I have been able to run every game on decent settings. Most recent games being RE 5, Batman Arkham Asylum and MWII. I probably won't build a new one for another year or two years. If you build a top of the line rig, you won't have to upgrade for 3-4 years.

EL_CAD
11-08-2009, 07:16 PM
have you ever played an ea sports game for pc? they suck
bootup nhl2009 for example. WOW, that was horrible on PC

Well it is EA, so what do you expect? Next you'll be asking us PC owners if we feel left out because Ubisoft doesn't make Imagine and Petz games for PC.

EL_CAD
11-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Console FPS games use auto aim to make up for the lack of control. This means that console FPS are the automatic transmissions of video games. Real drivers and gamers use manual.

EL_CAD
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Exactly, people who play Consoles don't like using PC controls, and people who play on PC's don't like Console controls...

I have a mate of mine used to play Call of Duty 2 on the PC and then he played Call of Duty 3 on the PS3 and he kept complaining that you don't get to "aim and target as good as you can on the PC"... yet I can go through multiple games on the PS3 and totally pwn but my mate blames it on crappy Console controls lol.

There was a lot more to complain about in CoD3 then just the crappy controls.

EL_CAD
11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a Geforce 7950GX2 which was top of the line four generations ago and I have been able to run every game on decent settings. Most recent games being RE 5, Batman Arkham Asylum and MWII. I probably won't build a new one for another year or two years. If you build a top of the line rig, you won't have to upgrade for 3-4 years.

I never buy top of the line and usually just upgrade the video card two years later, which is about the time I am ready to do a fresh install of everything. The only things I buy top of the line are the motherboards and PSU. A good PSU can be used for a few generations of PCs.

CharmedonWB
11-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I never buy top of the line and usually just upgrade the video card two years later, which is about the time I am ready to do a fresh install of everything. The only things I buy top of the line are the motherboards and PSU. A good PSU can be used for a few generations of PCs.
I definitely agree with you there, the two places where you do not want to skimp is the mobo and the psu.

Cue
11-08-2009, 08:22 PM

I think now motherboards should be bought at the mainstream level too. I bought all my parts at the high end of the spectrum and regretted it afterwards when my mb did not support Nehalem, I had to switch. I suspect that moherboards in the near future would have USB 3.0 sockets so I would recommend a mainstream mb now. The thing I regretted most was the fact that I bought a mb with DDR3 support only and was forced to shell out £430 for 8GB of DDR3 ram only to find it dropped in price to around £200 in less than 4 months. Buying mainstream everything is a good policy it's very easy to get carried away on a PC build and you can save yourself a great deal if you stick to this policy. you can even afford to upgrade more regularly if you wish. I think the only thing that is sort-of futureproof is a good modular PSU and case, then just sit and pray that the GPU manufacturers don't decide to build a 3 foot long card which requires another 6 or 8pin cable.

EL_CAD
11-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I think now motherboards should be bought at the mainstream level too. I bought all my parts at the high end of the spectrum and regretted it afterwards when my mb did not support Nehalem, I had to switch. I suspect that moherboards in the near future would have USB 3.0 sockets so I would recommend a mainstream mb now. The thing I regretted most was the fact that I bought a mb with DDR3 support only and was forced to shell out £430 for 8GB of DDR3 ram only to find it dropped in price to around £200 in less than 4 months. Buying mainstream everything is a good policy it's very easy to get carried away on a PC build and you can save yourself a great deal if you stick to this policy. you can even afford to upgrade more regularly if you wish. I think the only thing that is sort-of futureproof is a good modular PSU and case, then just sit and pray that the GPU manufacturers don't decide to build a 3 foot long card which requires another 6 or 8pin cable.

Well with motherboards. you do have a point. There is a risk of them being to be bleeding edge. People have been burned by memory trends and I have been careful when making memory choices. Mostly because I'm cheap and mainly I build or buy AMD systems. AMD has not been as memory upgrade inclined as Intel. AMDs most always use the most mainstream memory and are much more affordable.

mhz
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
with AMD u can also upgrade ur CPU only more often..
I bought an AM2+ mobo, now with bios updates it's compatible with latest AM3 cpus..

barran21
11-09-2009, 11:40 AM
As a PC gamer my money will stay in my pocket...........PC live is not my cup of tea......the whole idea of being force fed Matching making is sickening......they can keep the game i will play Left 4 Dead 2.

EL_CAD
11-09-2009, 02:14 PM
As a PC gamer my money will stay in my pocket...........PC live is not my cup of tea......the whole idea of being force fed Matching making is sickening......they can keep the game i will play Left 4 Dead 2.

See you in L4D2. I've been playing the demo a bit to much this weekend already. Oh to play the "new game" I did not need to upgrade anything, it even worked great on my friends Socket A machine with my old AGP ATI HD2600pro that I gave him last year.

msanchez
11-09-2009, 10:39 PM
with AMD u can also upgrade ur CPU only more often..
I bought an AM2+ mobo, now with bios updates it's compatible with latest AM3 cpus..

Yup, that's the main reason why I dropped intel. Niece prices for amds also helps, sure some can be pricey, but I don't need anything that powerful to check email, browse the web, see a movie, and hell play a game every once in a blue moon.