PDA

View Full Version : IGN reviews New Super Mario Bros says its good but not new

Zeus
11-13-2009, 12:06 PM
IGN has reviewed New Super Mario Bros. Wii and while they really like it and state you should buy it, they also note the game is weakened by a number of factors including a lack of innovation and online play. Overall it scored an 8.9.

<blockquote>I really, really like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I have no qualms with saying this is a far better game than the Nintendo DS version, and it could easily be the finest Super Mario Bros. 2D platformer Nintendo's ever created. You should absolutely get a copy, no question.

But, and it's a big "but," Nintendo did not use this opportunity wisely. For as big a project as this could have been, this game's impact is weakened by many factors. It plays it safe with established gameplay with very little in the way of new innovation. It also lacks online multiplayer in a generation where such a feature is expected.

I had a great time plowing through all eight worlds (and then some), but the nagging feeling of it seeming like a step backwards kept creeping in. As a gamer I love New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but as a critic I just couldn't let the issues slide. </blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1044744p2.html" target="_blank">IGN</a>

CharmedonWB
11-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I think that is a very fair critique.

MadonnaProject
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeaaaahhhh....it's ok. Just very slow and very frustrating.

John Crichton
11-14-2009, 05:30 AM
I can understand that the only new in this is the multiplayer. it was aimed at that. yes, a little bit more is always nice.

EL_CAD
11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Funny that IGN didn't take away points from Batman for having no online co-op, but yet they did it for Mario.

Funny that IGN didn't take away points from CoD6MW2 for having a lack of innovation, but yet they did it for Mario.

Missalicious
11-25-2009, 01:20 AM
I think it's fantastic, and it's not the hardest game ever, but sometimes it's nice to play a game that's not super hard to get through, and it's good to introduce the little kids to games that we grew up on! And say sister and brother, or dad and son/daughter would be real fun for multiplayer!

People forget that Wii is like the modern family game night too.