PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: New Wii will be more than just HD enabled

Zeus
11-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Reggie Fils-Aime has revealed that the next version of the Wii will not be just HD enabled, rather it will have additional capability. He added that there will be additional elements but they will be 'far into the future'.

<blockquote>He said: "The fundamental issue in the logic flow is that — and this is what I'm hearing, whether it's from you or Geoff or Michael himself — is that, gosh it's such an opportunity to take HD capability and link it with the Wii. And what we have said, repeatedly, is that that's not the way we at Nintendo do things. The way we at Nintendo do things is, you know, when we will move to a new generation, it's because there are some fundamental things the [current] console cannot do. What that says is that simply the addition of HD capability will not be the next step for us. There will be more to it. There will be additional capability. There will be additional elements, and, given that, it is far into the future."

In jest, I replied: "So, no new Wii in 2010?"

Fils-Aime: "Not to announce with you here today."</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379846" target="_Blank">Neogaf</a>

tech3475
11-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Nintendo will need a killer app to sell the console, after all wii sports soled the wii and no one knows don't know how many casual gamers will want to upgrade when they only want bowling and fitness simulators.

I won't upgrade for a while that's for sure unless a decent hack comes out like with the wii but nintendo have probably learned by now what to do.

GT-RRR
11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Jesus Christ all Nintendo has to do is make a new Wii that has say like a camera built-in to the sensor-bar and make up a stupid ad for it, repeat that ad a million times a day, and it will just sell like hotcakes ALL OVER AGAIN!

nestortoy@hotma
11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
hmm.... maybe this time it will at least play regular dvd's, come with at least a hard drive and maybe have next generation graphics.

DEDDOA
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Hopefully this one will do more than have mostly DS games to play on the TV. DS games are great on the DS, on a homeconsole I tend to expect more than quck pick up and play short term games. The wii has a few really good games, but they are really thin on the ground at this point.

NSTar
11-16-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah... zelda will skip a generation and launch with wii2 HD... possibly Mario Universe in the same quarter. Would be nice!

nexistjamais
11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
You fellas just don't get it. Nintendo won't release a new console until it becomes essential to have a hardware upgrade to have a new gameplay experience.

That's why they didn't do HD on the Wii. HD is expensive and offers no new gameplay. I didn't buy an X360 or a PS3 because there are no new games on them. Nothing is new. It's all derivative of stuff that was made on the PS1. I bought the Wii because it offered a new gameplay experience. It was something new. I bought it because it's fun. Yet Another Console FPS on the X360 is neither new nor all that fun for me anymore.

Anyway, Nintendo gets that they have to fight disinterest as much as any competitor. That's why they won't spend the investment on anything that won't be new and capable of fighting disinterest.

What you have been foolishly calling "casual gamers" have been merely people who are bored and/or disinterested with the HD twins for a wide variety of reasons. The Wii was fun for them. I would have quit playing video games after the Dreamcast, PS2, and Gamecube generation because I was getting bored with sequels after sequels, specifically on the PS2. I get why Nintendo would only want to release a new system after they have a truly new gameplay idea. They want to keep me as a customer.

kurze
11-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Wait in gametrailers tv he flat out said there will be no hd wii or a newer updated version of the wii..

Im confused not..

ASSPOP
11-17-2009, 02:32 AM
lol, tell nintendo to use a damn controller this time, a real one. Not a wiimote 2, i want an actual controller!

Controller
HDMI output
at least 720p
Better software support
3x More powerful than the xbox 360 or ps3.

put4558350
11-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Wii is money maker and have huge install base. i don't think they will kill it that soon.

But I do think that next nintendo's console is already in R&D process. and someone talk to R&D guy.

In R&D process. Many model will made. but only one or two is choose for final product.
R&D model can be 1000 time ps3 + xbox360. but if price don't fit it will not choose.

I think Next Wii will using.

upgrade Wii controller that more precise and support more normal style.
DVI, HDMI or Displayport output max 1080p or more.
play game, movie, music form HDD and have dvd for wii / game cube.

cafevincent
11-17-2009, 05:28 PM
I think Nintendo is realizing that this new casual audience they have reached are so casual that they forget about a machine much faster than the core gamers. Therefore they must be realizing that they should rather go for a shorter lifespan than the traditional 4 years. I predict that a completely new home console is revealed at E3 2010 unless Wii sales go seriously up at holiday season and stay somewhat up after. Holiday season may be a hit due to the New SMB but next year will be dry again. Games like Zelda and Pikmin will most likely be finalized for the new system.

GT-RRR
11-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Nintendo will never have a console which has more than, or even match, the power of another console released in the same generation, fact.

XviD
11-17-2009, 06:39 PM
yeah... zelda will skip a generation and launch with wii2 HD... possibly Mario Universe in the same quarter. Would be nice!

zelda is for Wii, and might possibly be released on the new console as well.
nintendo has already more than confirmed that statement several times.

Nintendo will never have a console which has more than, or even match, the power of another console released in the same generation, fact.

have you been smoking crack bro?
the NES trashed all its competitors.
the SNES trashed the Genesis.
the N64 trashed the PSX.
the gamecube tied with the PS2, xbox may have been more powerful, not sure.
the Wii is nintendo's first console that does not compete with any other console in terms of horsepower.
bet your ass that the Wii 2 will fill the gap.

put4558350
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I think Nintendo is realizing that this new casual audience they have reached are so casual that they forget about a machine much faster than the core gamers. Therefore they must be realizing that they should rather go for a shorter lifespan than the traditional 4 years. I predict that a completely new home console is revealed at E3 2010 unless Wii sales go seriously up at holiday season and stay somewhat up after. Holiday season may be a hit due to the New SMB but next year will be dry again. Games like Zelda and Pikmin will most likely be finalized for the new system.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime - Other M And Next Zelda have release date in 2010
Dragon Quest X is already made for Wii

Thare is too much game on Wii to make next nintendo's console come that soon.

It also possible that Nintendo will wait until after ps4 and next xbox show it's self.

losing multiple console title is too disadvantage. especially when natal and ps3's motion controller might come as standard for it's next system.