PDA

View Full Version : x-clamp fix question

merrygoround
11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Okay, so I removed the x-clamp and put screws instead (as well as new thermal paste). I let the xbox overheat, then turned it on after it cooled a little while and it worked. I haven't been able to test it for any length, because I don't have means to charge my controller for the moment.

Anyway, my concern as of right now is with the screw setup, there isn't really anyway to tell whether or not I'm crushing the cpu or gpu. I tightened the screws, but stopped right when it got to the point of having to use any force to tighten more.

Is there any way to tell whether or not I'm doing damage to it? I have four washers (two nylon, two metal) on each screw.

Also, for anyone who's done this, was it hard to get the mainboard to fit back in the case. I'm a little worried that the screws are too big, even though in reality they shouldn't be any different from the x-clamp.

cccrrraaazzziii
11-20-2009, 03:10 AM
with the bolt n washer fix.. as ur usin the 2 nylons closes to board these add self lubricating cushion.. anyways u shudda tightened em up til u ave to use force.. overheated then tightened each one half a turn more.. that way it reseats the gpu an cpu.. an then u shud be fine

regards

merrygoround
11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
ya, I followed all the direction I could online. just a little paranoid. so hopefully it'll be fine. I think I'll get my charger in the mail today, and I can play to test it.

Sparks988
11-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Dont be paranoid it should be ok, it could last months or hours, sometimes it never works, theres always fleabay if you can't do anything with it, or keep it for spares for friends etc.

merrygoround
11-22-2009, 12:33 AM
ugh, its freezed twice. once while just sitting idle in the menu system, once during gameplay. probably gonna have to ebay it