PDA

View Full Version : NEWB Alert - Mod advice please

jasmart
11-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi All,

Quite familiar with modding systems, done PSP, PS2, DSi, 360 myself in the past. So, if have to open the system to fit something its not an issue. I've picked up a wii today and need to get started. I've had a quick half hour read and from this it seems a soft mod is the more common method than a physical chip. So, shall I start here? http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/16970-new-3-1-4-1-softmod-any-wii.html

My end goal is to run my backed up copies of games I've purchased as this will allow my youngest to pop in a disc and go.

Any advice or pointers will be gratefully received.

spooky37
11-22-2009, 03:12 AM
This is what you need: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

jasmart
11-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks Spooky, followed the link and all worked a treat. There is already a long post here "Wii Softmodding for Dummies - All in one" with some good instructions but for some reason i could not get the boot.elf to run from the download, the Wii kept freezing?

I went from 2.0e up to 4.2e and then used the instructions in your link to modify 4.2 and bingo - can now run dvd-r's.

One more question, what is the best channel for launching dvd-r? I put "Wii Backup Launcher 03g Wiiish v2 EN.wad" on there but it seems a lot of people use "cIOSCorp"

spooky37
11-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Neo gamma r7 or r8 beta 12 along with cios rev 14 seem to be the best for me, works great launching games from disc or hdd.

rnelson1415
11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks Spooky, followed the link and all worked a treat. There is already a long post here "Wii Softmodding for Dummies - All in one" with some good instructions but for some reason i could not get the boot.elf to run from the download, the Wii kept freezing?

I went from 2.0e up to 4.2e and then used the instructions in your link to modify 4.2 and bingo - can now run dvd-r's.

One more question, what is the best channel for launching dvd-r? I put "Wii Backup Launcher 03g Wiiish v2 EN.wad" on there but it seems a lot of people use "cIOSCorp"

I keep hearing that cIOSCorp is nothing but bad news. Neogamma is prolly the best disc backup launcher out there atm.