PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto: Nintendo wouldn't employ me now

Zeus
11-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Legendary Nintendo game creator Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that Nintendo wouldn't employee him now if he was fresh out university. He noted that Nintendo is starting to recruit only from the top-tier universities and Miyamoto notes that by today's standards, he would not get into the company at all.

<blockquote>Speaking to Edge, Miyamoto said: “Nintendo has become one of those companies that graduates from colleges and good universities really want to work for.

“Because of that, the competition’s really become so fierce for positions. And that means that a lot of the recent recruits for Nintendo have tended to have the higher degree from the prestigious colleges and universities and whatnot.

“I often say to Mr Iwata: ‘If I was applying for a job here today, I, with my actual college degree, would probably not have been employed by Nintendo’.”

Miyamoto assured the industry that he still looks out for those with qualities that aren’t reflected by official qualifications, even getting involved in the interview process himself</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36613/Miyamoto-Nintendo-wouldnt-employ-me-now" target="_blank">MCVUK</a>

drwoogie
11-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah Nintendo has so many great games for the Wii....Now that Nintendo will recruit only from the top-tier universities we can expect at least 6 games that are fun for the life of the Wii HD! WOW! :rolleyes:

tech3475
11-23-2009, 09:26 AM
There are some things education cant teach you. Could you imagine if you submitted to a teacher over 20 years ago a game involving a gorilla and a man in a red suit avoiding barrels?

QrafTee
11-23-2009, 11:54 AM
There are some things education cant teach you. Could you imagine if you submitted to a teacher over 20 years ago a game involving a gorilla and a man in a red suit avoiding barrels?Or a plumber and his brother who eat mushrooms to the grow big, eat flowers to shoot fireballs, jump on top of clouds, breaks bricks with his head, and fights a dinosaur/turtle monster to save the princess?

msanchez
11-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I agree with you guys, creativity is not something people can easily learn in school, maybe not at all. You can learn to play an instrument, to draw, to sing, whatever, but if you are not talented..... then you're not.

Maybe they need to rethink their strategies of going for the over protected mama's boy type.

NSTar
11-25-2009, 12:28 AM
I agree...nowaday, I wouldn't hire him myself. He is done for this generation.

MicroNut
12-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree...nowaday, I wouldn't hire him myself. He is done for this generation.
lol... your generation was done before it started... and you don't even know it.
You, Your already dead!
lol... lol... haha, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...
Ha.

grapeape
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
“I often say to Mr Iwata: ‘If I was applying for a job here today, I, with my actual college degree, would probably not have been employed by Nintendo’.”

If thats the case I expect that as the years wear on Nintendo will go from a creative company to a by the numbers one that will slowly die in mediocrity. Speaking strictly from an IT perspective I have found that top grade's and top schools don't necessarily make for the top programmers and engineers, in fact some of the most "brilliant" people I have hired have been some of the worst employees. Most were fine if they had strict set of boundaries to work in but analytical thinking and creativity were generally lacking. Not sure why this is but I guess its hard to be creative and flexible if your life up to that point has been about rigidity and structure.