PDA

View Full Version : EA: Wii is confounding to people because it's so big

Zeus
12-04-2009, 07:54 AM
EA has revealed a belief that the Wii is 'confounding' people as it is so big and successful. These comments come after thoughts that people are still 'grapping' with the Wii after the poor performance of titles such as Dead Space and Madden on the Wii.

<blockquote>He then defended EA's own Wii failures, noting that publishers (EA included) are still figuring the system out. "I think it's also fair to say that people are still grappling with it. I think Dead Space Extraction was one of the best pieces of software built on the platform and it did not perform well. It's a strong IP but for some reason it did not resonate in a way that brought consumers to the store to buy it. And Madden hasn't performed to my expectations so far this year, even though it's a fabulous piece of software. EA Sports Active and our Hasbro stuff have done really, really well. So you start to create a certain perception in your mind of the type of consumer that works on the Wii, that's a little different, doesn't have the core gamer in mind, etc. But there are an awful lot of core gamers that have this platform and there are oftentimes some surprising breakthroughs that feel pretty core."

He added, "I think the Wii is confounding to people because it's so darn big and successful. Even this year, what most people perceive as a down year, they're going to sell just in the Western markets somewhere in the mid-teens of millions of hardware units, which is a blow-away success for a console. And yet it's lower than they (and we) originally thought. But that's a little bit like saying they won the Super Bowl by a smaller point spread." </blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wii-is-confounding-to-people-says-eas-riccitiello/" target="_blank">Industrygamers</a>

Mithos
12-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I think Dead Space Extraction was one of the best pieces of software built on the platform and it did not perform well. It's a strong IP but for some reason it did not resonate in a way that brought consumers to the store to buy it.

Well Mr. "EA" Riccitiello, Dead Space is an unknown IP to Wii only players, and on top of that its an on-rails game. It's a niche game, what did you expect?
IF you expected the sales of those made by Umbrell Chronicles YOU FAIL, because that game sold because it was a RESIDENT EVIL game.

Dead Space Extraction might be a great game (and I agree, it IS), but just watch and see when Darkside Chronicles sell 1million+ and you have to continue to CRY about your 10k sales.

msanchez
12-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes... uhum... I see... that's a possibility, but just for the sake of argument let's consider my alternative explanation: EA SUCKS!

grapeape
12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
The problem unfortunately is that there is a very limited audience for things like dead space, madden, etc. Madden I think is especially hurt by being featured side by side around release time next to the 360 and PS3 versions, it really makes the wii look weak. Frankly EA would be better off making games like Happy Pony Party and Lets Wobble on the Balance Board and call it exercise than to try and cater to an audience on the wii that is never going to be big enough to push the sales desired. Dont get me wrong I'm glad that some companies are willing to take a risk or accept limited reward to cater to us, but frankly trying to bridge the divide with games that are more complex than mini games but less than hardcore is just trying to tap into an audience that frankly I dont think exists. The only company I have seen that has been able to bridge that divide is Nintendo themselves and no 3rd party will ever be able to compete with that.

ThreeDog
12-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Incorrectly aimed, A lot of things dead space does for me a rail shooter just won't. It's nice to see the Wii has a bigger 'lightgun' offering where other consoles would just release a gun and a few games in four years but that isn't what makes dead space fun.

Despite how good the screenshot's look i wouldn't even consider dropping money on it even for the extra story, If they had offered a dead space game with a new story and adjustments for the graphical capibilities of the wii it would of been a day one purchase for me.

Right now this is the Wii's biggest problem, developers/publishers are not trying hard enough. If the gamecube could manage such inventive full featured games why do they keep limiting the Wii to five minutes of fun, rail shooters and kids games?

msanchez
12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
...Right now this is the Wii's biggest problem, developers/publishers are not trying hard enough. If the gamecube could manage such inventive full featured games why do they keep limiting the Wii to five minutes of fun, rail shooters and kids games?

Because they think that's enough, and if all else fails they can then blame consumers, or the machine itself.... not the half assed attempt at making a game.

grapeape
12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Because they think that's enough, and if all else fails they can then blame consumers, or the machine itself.... not the half assed attempt at making a game.

But the question is why do they think thats enough? IMHO they look over the history of 3rd party titles so far and the suits decide that truly budgeting for a blockbuster game is too risky. The only thing that is going to change that is if a serious 3rd party title actually catches fire and sells a ton...its hard to put your heart and soul into something only to see it beat out by things like Disney Sing It and Carnival Games Mini Golf.

I do think they are a bit short sighted though, they should take note that the shelf life of Wii games seems considerably longer...probably due to the non-traditional audience, they dont seem to care how old a game is so many games that dont sell like gangbusters out of the gate can still go on to be very profitable..it just takes longer to do so.

msanchez
12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
But the question is why do they think thats enough? IMHO they look over the history of 3rd party titles so far and the suits decide that truly budgeting for a blockbuster game is too risky. The only thing that is going to change that is if a serious 3rd party title actually catches fire and sells a ton...its hard to put your heart and soul into something only to see it beat out by things like Disney Sing It and Carnival Games Mini Golf.

I do think they are a bit short sighted though, they should take note that the shelf life of Wii games seems considerably longer...probably due to the non-traditional audience, they dont seem to care how old a game is so many games that dont sell like gangbusters out of the gate can still go on to be very profitable..it just takes longer to do so.

Well there's a lot of wii gamers that are new to gaming this gen, or returning from older generations. It just seems that these guys don't have the same standards as we do, but it's getting to the point where even the less gaming educated masses are starting to expect more out of a game.

Many of these folks have maybe seen commercials for ps3/360 games and wonder to themselves "why can't my wii games look like this?" a great deal of them don't understand, or care, about the difference in the hardware; ignorant as they are they just care about results, not technical specs.

This isn't necessarily the case for every wii owner, but I've seen some personally. Just the other day when I was playing MGS4 a friend of mine came over and she was the one I heard asking why wii games didn't look like that. I also tried to explain that there's a big difference in the power of the other 2 consoles vs the wii, and as you might guess didn't understand nor care. In the end the funny thing is that I let her play some (just for kicks) and after 2 min she handed the controller back saying that it's too confusing... but she still wants her games to look like that.

JonathanD
12-06-2009, 06:03 AM

So true.

Don't blame the tool, blame the craftsman.

I mean sure you can do more with better hardware but the Wii is not so limited that you can't push some nice graphics out.

The PS2 was less powerful but they managed to turn out great games like God of War and like 200 other awesome games on it. (I exaggerate but it did have a ton of great games)

Trashcat
12-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Among all the feces in the Wii pool EA's crap aint half that bad. For some reason porting Black to the Wii seems like a good idea.