PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: EA must innovate or they can't compete

Zeus
12-10-2009, 08:06 AM
EA's big boss has issued a stark warning to Nintendo. The warning is that they must innovate and if they don't, then they will have a hard time competing with what's coming up from MS and Sony. Likewise, he implied that they can not stay at $199 price point without producing something special.

News Source: <a href="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381921" target="_blank">Neogaf</a>

Lfctony
12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Your english... WOW... Really...

deftonesmx17
12-10-2009, 09:09 AM
The Wii is overpriced, end of. The fact that you can get an xbox 360 for the same price proves how overpriced it is. Then there is the PS3....for 100 more than a wii you get a system that has motion sensing controllers also and is a blu-ray player on top of being a console.

If nintendo wants to compete the price of the wii needs to be lowered to say 150 or more realistically 100. It's a known fact that their hardware does not cost anywhere near what Sony and MS's does to manufacture.

Brandogg
12-10-2009, 09:12 AM
What a joke. Nintendo just sold a million consoles last month in the US. What the **** does EA know about innovation?

CharmedonWB
12-10-2009, 09:21 AM
The Wii is selling more than the PS3 and the 360 combined. With the 360 being at the same price point, why are more people buying the Wii if it is overpriced? It is not your determination whether or not the Wii is overpriced--that is for the market to decide. Sales from two weeks ago - Wii 1.7M.....360 .472M
The Wii almost outsold the 360 4:1
If I can shift 1.7M units at the end of November, why the hell would I even consider lowering my price; especially when during the same week I outsold my competition 4:1 and 2:1?

Not to mention, if they lower the price of the Wii to $150, they would effectively have to lower the price of the DS as well. As for the comment about pricing the Wii at $100, if you are going to make that type of a comment, at least have some evidence supporting that type of claim.

Almighty_Peanut
12-10-2009, 09:30 AM
The Wii is selling more than the PS3 and the 360 combined. With the 360 being at the same price point, why are more people buying the Wii if it is overpriced? It is not your determination whether or not the Wii is overpriced--that is for the market to decide. Sales from two weeks ago - Wii 1.7M.....360 .472M
The Wii almost outsold the 360 4:1
If I can shift 1.7M units at the end of November, why the hell would I even consider lowering my price; especially when during the same week I outsold my competition 4:1 and 2:1?

you, my friend, have more common sense than most anybody on this forum! even if they clear 500k units/month, why the hell would they want to lower it? they're still turning a hefty profit from this non-innovative, primitive hardware.

billysastard
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
they're still turning a hefty profit from this non-innovative, primitive hardware.

yet the innovative, high tech hardware makers are falling over themselves to not innovate the wii's controls, strange one that isnt it?

grapeape
12-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I dont think Nintendo has any real threats this generation even after the others motion controls debut, however I do think they have boxed themselves into a corner for next gen. They are going to really have to pull something amazing to be able to compete. Perhaps backwards compatibility will help but hardware wise they have to play catch-up or risk looking even more dated the next time around. Luckily Nintendo has made enough money this gen to justify spending it on creating a great successor. The Wii managed to come out #1 with the weakest console because of their difference maker...motion controls, if they dont have a difference maker next time around that people really want it will be rough for them. I like the idea that proposed early in the "revolution" development, a built in Pico projector....no tv necessary would definitely be a difference maker and prices have come down on them enough that it would be doable within an average console launch price.

yutaro
12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Look who's talking hahahaha. Nice one EA :)

Cantenna
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd say out of all the criticism I have read on this forum toward the Wii (microsoft, sony, etc) EA Games has said the most!

I think EA big boss likes to smell his own farts!

Then again constructive criticism can be a good thing

Cantenna
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
What a joke. Nintendo just sold a million consoles last month in the US. What the **** does EA know about innovation?

...........agreed:)

Xenogears V
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM

E@ don't understand a f*ck.

Hevyduty
12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
EA is telling Nintendo what to do? Hmmm. After taking exactly one-tenth of a second to compare the financial performance of the two companies, I've determined with absolute certainty that this EA guy is a total asshat.

DanASBO
12-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Does anybody follow links? EA are saying Ninty will have a hard time when Natal/Gem debut... which is a valid point. :p

n0rthstar
12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Does anybody follow links? EA are saying Ninty will have a hard time when Natal/Gem debut... which is a valid point. :p

I dont know about that, having something physical in your hand like the Wiimote is nothing like Natal, which is basically waving/moving your arms about in midair, i personally dont think it will take off, there needs to be something you can physically touch/hold to make you feel like your playing the game, Natal doesnt have that, i dont know about the PS3 because ive never been interested in it.

The only thing Nintendo got wrong this generation is power, the Wii is far too underpowered, but it does make up for it with fun, at least some of the time, theres a lot of crap out there... but cant the same be said for the 360 and Ps3 too?

CharmedonWB
12-10-2009, 08:46 PM
These same people also said that the Wii would be a flop.

EL_CAD
12-10-2009, 10:21 PM
EA is telling Nintendo what to do? Hmmm. After taking exactly one-tenth of a second to compare the financial performance of the two companies, I've determined with absolute certainty that this EA guy is a total asshat.

That's what I was going to say. Well maybe not the asshat part.

Maybe EA should put one of their top studios to work on a Wii title, like BioWare, Criterion or DICE. Or at least get in to the the Wii VC or WiiWare. Then maybe EA could turn a profit for a change.

cafevincent
12-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Only Nintendo has the motion controls as standard so they won't have to innovate more in this generation but the next instead and naturally they will. Unless MS and Sony keep the basic pad as the standard controller then Nintendo will repeat it's current success by having the most motion controlled games. Simpler controls is the way of the future.

KingFool
12-11-2009, 01:19 AM
I know this is a rhetorical question.....but is that guy retarded or something?

switchg3ar
12-11-2009, 11:29 AM

EA is very innovative, they pride themselves as the only company have a crap to amazing game ratio of 20:1.