PDA

View Full Version : Huge console sales in November thanks to Black Friday

Zeus
12-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Well well, the current crop of consoles seem to have sold in HUGE numbers this month in America according to the latest NPD stats. The Wii managed a massive 1.26 million units, the Xbox 360 819.5k units and the PS3 a respectable 710.4k units. But above all those, the DS managed 1.7 million sales!

So here are the totals:

Wii 1.26M
Nintendo DS 1.70M
PS3 710.4K
PSP 293.9K
360 819.5K
PS2 203.1K

danight
12-10-2009, 08:09 PM
wow 360 outsold ps3 :eek:

didnt expect that with the slim model and 100 price drop. still very good number pretty much for everyone. except psp it sucked.

msanchez
12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
HOLLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS!!!!!!!! is that a typo? Honestly am I like the only person on the face of the planet to not have either a DS or a Wii? It's just baffling how those things can still sell like that... honestly I just don't get it.

Hmm wasn't there an analyst predicting ninty was going to start dropping of the radar or something? Does this guy still have a job I wonder? Not that I think the ninty should still keep selling like this, but then again I'm not payed to give my insight into such things.

grapeape
12-10-2009, 09:56 PM
HOLLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS!!!!!!!! is that a typo? Honestly am I like the only person on the face of the planet to not have either a DS or a Wii? It's just baffling how those things can still sell like that... honestly I just don't get it.

Hmm wasn't there an analyst predicting ninty was going to start dropping of the radar or something? Does this guy still have a job I wonder? Not that I think the ninty should still keep selling like this, but then again I'm not payed to give my insight into such things.

Well actually your not having one or the other just proves there are still more that haven't been assimilated yet. :) Though I dont play much on the Wii, I will admit I love my DS. Actually you would love the DS there are tons of old school jrpgs on there...i'm playing Nostalgia now, its great finally finished Kingdom Hearts a couple weeks back and before that it was Dragon Quest V. I actually think if I could only have one game console or handheld it would be my DS, granted if your into 3d shooters and such its probably the worst thing out there but if your into old school games and gameplay its unbeatable.

EL_CAD
12-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Well actually your not having one or the other just proves there are still more that haven't been assimilated yet. :) Though I dont play much on the Wii, I will admit I love my DS. Actually you would love the DS there are tons of old school jrpgs on there...i'm playing Nostalgia now, its great finally finished Kingdom Hearts a couple weeks back and before that it was Dragon Quest V. I actually think if I could only have one game console or handheld it would be my DS, granted if your into 3d shooters and such its probably the worst thing out there but if your into old school games and gameplay its unbeatable.

Agreed, I love my DS. We now have 2 of them and still no PSP. And I'm thinking about getting a third.

LKJHGFDSA
12-10-2009, 10:44 PM
lol all those people bought DSs, and there's that new dsi XL coming out in a couple months! xD

msanchez
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM

HMMMMM! damn you grape, buying a DS is starting to sound interesting now... you're screwed though since I'll be having you make me up a list of recommendations.... I hate to impose, actually no, I don't :p

driojas
12-11-2009, 12:03 AM
lol all those people bought DSs, and there's that new dsi XL coming out in a couple months! xD

what's so funny.....jeus dude...why do you have to be such a ****, geez.

cafevincent
12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
What the hell is a black friday?

Crimson Blade
12-11-2009, 01:51 AM
What the hell is a black friday?

The day after Thanksgiving

It's the busiest shopping day of the year in the United States, people try to get in on holiday special sales and the like

The lines form in the predawn hours
Stampedes of rabid customers sweep through the aisles like plagues of locusts
Mother's fight to the death for "Tickle Me Elmo's"
Father's fight like dogs over electronics

Calcu
12-11-2009, 08:00 AM
maxconsole is the only forum on the net which posts news without providing links to their source.i blame the slow members for this.

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php

more reliable for hardware & software sales.

jase1
12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Well well, the current crop of consoles seem to have sold in HUGE numbers this month in America according to the latest NPD stats. The Wii managed a massive 1.26 million units, the Xbox 360 819.5k units and the PS3 a respectable 710.4k units. But above all those, the DS managed 1.7 million sales!

So here are the totals:

Wii 1.26M
Nintendo DS 1.70M
PS3 710.4K
PSP 293.9K
360 819.5K
PS2 203.1K

Hi something is a little wrong with these figures, I've been tracking hardware sales for some months with various sites like vgchartz etc. Globally M$ has been selling around 350-500k weekly, with a sharp spike when MW2 came out, it is outsold everywhere outside of the US, US figures are around 300k per week.

So my question is.....where did the extra 350-400k units come from? weekly EU sales are still around 130-170k per week (black friday means nothing here) So I have to assume M$ sold 600-650k units in the Americas alone? making this one of the best weekly sales M$ has made from the start?

Nintendo & Sony has sold very well but M$ has increased it's sells by a full 100%, completely bucking the trend.

I dunno, it's a bit to tall a story for me for me, I think the figures have been massaged because M$ has been unusually quiet about console sells for the last 4 months.

Just my 2pence worth.

danight
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
It would appear that Modern Warfare 2's big software sales numbers on the Xbox 360 had a nice effect on Microsoft's showing last month. After being outsold by the cheaper, slimmer PlayStation 3 in September and October, the 360 outsold its high-def competition by more than 100,000 units.

The PSP and PlayStation 2 round out the bottom half of the list, with nearly a half-million units sold between the two platforms. November's 200,000-plus sales for the PS2 represent its 109th month on the NPD charts.

"The PS3 realized the greatest increase over last year's November sales and had its third best month in unit sales ever, coming in just under Decembers '07 and '08

from kota about the numbers.

Xanxion
12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39845&end=40146

Oh well.

danight
12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61565
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkypVpkAupbGqDDILy.php
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20796.cfm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+afterdawn+%28AfterDawn.com%29
http://kotaku.com/5423813/npd-instant-analysis-things-you-should-note?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29
etc etc

funny how pretty much all gaming sites post these numbers and no site posts vg charts... go figure...

grapeape
12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61565
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkypVpkAupbGqDDILy.php
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20796.cfm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+afterdawn+%28AfterDawn.com%29
http://kotaku.com/5423813/npd-instant-analysis-things-you-should-note?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29
etc etc

funny how pretty much all gaming sites post these numbers and no site posts vg charts... go figure...

Well NPD is proven and based on hard numbers..VGchartz is nice for a guestimate...but thats all it really is. If you write the numbers down then go back and look at the old numbers a month later...they often change greatly. I've found they are pretty accurate on euro numbers...and they take their japanese straight from Famitsu but their US numbers seem really unstable at times.

JonathanD
12-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed, I love my DS. We now have 2 of them and still no PSP. And I'm thinking about getting a third.

I feel almost ashamed to admit this but I own 4 DS's... 2 of them I never use though they are the old fat ones. I guess I keep them around just in case of some sort of DS emergency shortage.

That and 2 launch Wii's one still in the box (although I did pull it out to make sure it worked) hmm its still on the original firmware too :P but I have a bunch of chips laying around to install so its not like the firmware matters...

grapeape
12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I feel almost ashamed to admit this but I own 4 DS's... 2 of them I never use though they are the old fat ones. I guess I keep them around just in case of some sort of DS emergency shortage.

That and 2 launch Wii's one still in the box (although I did pull it out to make sure it worked) hmm its still on the original firmware too :P but I have a bunch of chips laying around to install so its not like the firmware matters...

Geez I thought I was bad...I have 2 ps3's, 2 360's, 1 Wii, 5 ds's and 2 psp's but I have a family of 5... :) (one of the 360's and one of the PS3's are in my office...the others are all in the family room).

msanchez
12-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Well I've never been a fan of having multiple consoles, but I remember back in the day my mother bought herself a nintendo 'cause we didn't let her play... God help anyone who so much as thought of touching that NES. I do have all my playstations though (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3) and have been meaning to buy one of those NES/SNES clones out there, or original refurb machines.

grapeape
12-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Well I've never been a fan of having multiple consoles, but I remember back in the day my mother bought herself a nintendo 'cause we didn't let her play... God help anyone who so much as thought of touching that NES. I do have all my playstations though (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3) and have been meaning to buy one of those NES/SNES clones out there, or original refurb machines.

Im too much of addict not to buy them all...too many games I would miss out on if I didnt. :) Gotta be honest though, I do repair work and so far the 1st 360, Wii, PS3 and My dsi are the only ones I purchased new...hell most of them I didnt purchase at all..they were mostly taken in trade for repair work on other stuff. :) There is a local pawn shop that saves broken stuff for me and offers it to me on fix one keep one deal, kids are spoiled rotten as a result but its very little money out of pocket.

msanchez
12-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Im too much of addict not to buy them all...too many games I would miss out on if I didnt. :) Gotta be honest though, I do repair work and so far the 1st 360, Wii, PS3 and My dsi are the only ones I purchased new...hell most of them I didnt purchase at all..they were mostly taken in trade for repair work on other stuff. :) There is a local pawn shop that saves broken stuff for me and offers it to me on fix one keep one deal, kids are spoiled rotten as a result but its very little money out of pocket.

In that case I totally understand you, maybe I would get them all in those circumstances, but personally shelling out almost $1200 in consoles (plus accessories), paying $40 - $60 per game spread out over the 3 consoles is just too much for me, both economically and time wise. I'm a simple man, too many choices makes me lazy and uninterested... I guess I couldn't handle Tiger's lifestyle...... wouldn't mind trying... specially the older one.

EL_CAD
12-12-2009, 02:01 PM
In that case I totally understand you, maybe I would get them all in those circumstances, but personally shelling out almost $1200 in consoles (plus accessories), paying $40 - $60 per game spread out over the 3 consoles is just too much for me, both economically and time wise. I'm a simple man, too many choices makes me lazy and uninterested... I guess I couldn't handle Tiger's lifestyle...... wouldn't mind trying... specially the older one.

They is almost no reason to pay $40 - $60 game. Just don't rush out on launch date to buy a game and you can almost always find a copy on sale the next week. My last two game purchases were L4D2 for $30 and Stalker for $5. Plus so many games need to patched right away or the servers need to be tweaked, so just wait to see if the bugs get ironed out while the prices drop. Buy more games for less money.

msanchez
12-12-2009, 03:24 PM
They is almost no reason to pay $40 - $60 game. Just don't rush out on launch date to buy a game and you can almost always find a copy on sale the next week. My last two game purchases were L4D2 for $30 and Stalker for $5. Plus so many games need to patched right away or the servers need to be tweaked, so just wait to see if the bugs get ironed out while the prices drop. Buy more games for less money.

Oh I never do buy them off the bat, at least not anymore. The last time I was "current" with gaming releases was back in the PSX days. Those days I was just waiting for my next game since I had already played the hell out of all the ones I wanted to, but as it stands I still have maybe dozens of ps2 games I want to play. In any case, I usually buy them up around the $30, or $20 mark.

JonathanD
12-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Geez I thought I was bad...I have 2 ps3's, 2 360's, 1 Wii, 5 ds's and 2 psp's but I have a family of 5... :) (one of the 360's and one of the PS3's are in my office...the others are all in the family room).

lol glad I am not the only one who buys in bulk...

Too add to my list 3 PS2's 3 Dreamcasts too many old old systems to list...

1 PSP :P lol

and only one old 20 GB PS3... at least it plays PS2 games!!!

No 360 yet but someday soon muhahahah lol

My family is slightly smaller, only 4 (me the wife and the 2 kids)
Although the girl barely counts she does not play very many games... How that happened I will never know. Everyone else in the house is a game addict.

grapeape
12-12-2009, 10:31 PM
lol glad I am not the only one who buys in bulk...

Too add to my list 3 PS2's 3 Dreamcasts too many old old systems to list...

1 PSP :P lol

and only one old 20 GB PS3... at least it plays PS2 games!!!

No 360 yet but someday soon muhahahah lol

My family is slightly smaller, only 4 (me the wife and the 2 kids)
Although the girl barely counts she does not play very many games... How that happened I will never know. Everyone else in the house is a game addict.

Hehe you dont want me to even list the shelf in the basement (its where all my previous consoles hide...from a Magnavox Odyssey to a box full of old lcd games (have some rare ones like Bandai Missile Invaders still in the boxes). Still have my dreamcast upstairs but recently retired the PS2 to the basement since the 20gb and 60gb do fine for ps2 games.

Thats my trick...hehe...if its a hot title, Target almost always has it on sale for $39 the week after launch. I spend alot of time browsing cheapassgamer.com looking for deals. Actually just got back from gamestop I hate shopping there but the buy 2 get 1 free sales are hard to resist (its running through tomorrow on all used games).

msanchez
12-13-2009, 06:40 AM
....Actually just got back from gamestop...

I just lost a little bit of respect for you grape :(

Nah just kidding... or am I?

EL_CAD
12-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Actually just got back from gamestop I hate shopping there but the buy 2 get 1 free sales are hard to resist (its running through tomorrow on all used games).
Yep that's about the only time I buy games at gamestop is when they have a buy 2 get 1 free deal. I've spent all my fun money on some non-game related toys this week or I would have gone to a few stores looking for three games to get.