PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Reggie, Modern Warfare 2 is wiping the floor with New Super Mario Bros.

Zeus
12-11-2009, 07:06 AM
According to reports, a while ago Reggie Fils-Aime of Nintendo revealed a real belief that the New Super Mario Bros. for Wii will outsell Modern Warfare 2 over the holiday season. However, as most people thought, this prediction is completely way off as Mario can't come close to MW 2 in terms of sales.

<blockquote>If you recall, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime stated last month that New Super Mario Bros. Wii will outsell Call of Duty
:Modern Warfare 2 over the holiday season. The first leg of the race is over and it's not looking so great for Mario.

The November 2009 NPD report reveals that Modern Warfare 2 sold 4.2 million copies in the month on the Xbox 360. New Super Marios Bros. Wii, meanwhile, racked up a little under 1.4 million. Fils-Aime claimed that Mario would overtake MW2 by the end of January. There's still a lot of time left but they've got a big hole to climb out of, here. </blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sorry-Reggie-Modern-Warfare-2-Racks-Up-Huge-Sales-Lead-On-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-21630.html" target="_blank">Cinemablend</a>

ok123
12-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Didnt Reggie say that New Super Mario Bros Wii would outsell one of the versions (most likely the PS3 version) of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and not the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (and maybe the PC version as well) combined? I still think that New Super Mario Bros Wii can be a really big seller in December and i wouldnt actually be that surprised if New Super Mario Bros Wii actually manage to outsell the PS3 version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 this holiday, but i think that it shall be interesting to see what happends :)

crono
12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
:rolleyes: Anyone knows how mutch new super mario bros sold on DS :rolleyes: Just google :cool: Now the same will happen on the Wii,it will sellout MW2 like a 100 times

osnoozeo
12-11-2009, 08:23 AM
:rolleyes: Anyone knows how mutch new super mario bros sold on DS :rolleyes: Just google :cool: Now the same will happen on the Wii,it will sellout MW2 like a 100 times

are you on drugs, or have seen mw2 sales yet? at the rate of the nsmb is selling right now, it would take a few yrs to catch up to mw2, even mw1 sold alot to. i own all the systems so it dont really matter to me what each system does, to me they all suck.

ThreeDog
12-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Didnt Reggie say that New Super Mario Bros Wii would outsell one of the versions (most likely the PS3 version) of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and not the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (and maybe the PC version as well) combined? I still think that New Super Mario Bros Wii can be a really big seller in December and i wouldnt actually be that surprised if New Super Mario Bros Wii actually manage to outsell the PS3 version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 this holiday, but i think that it shall be interesting to see what happends :)

Long time no see :) Yes reggie said: NSMB Wii will outsell Modern Warfare 2 on one system by the end of January 2010.
Less than reputable sales numbers below, all exclude japanese sales.
NSMB Wii = 2.21 million
MW2 PS3 = 4.41 million - 360 = 6.34 million - PC = ???

My bet is it will outsell the PC version, Maybe due to the fact electronic sales numbers are never released for the steam platform.

kurze
12-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Yea he said that on gttv. I lol.

wrathchild
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
What I don't understand is why was the new Mario game put on the Wii instead of the DS because there's nothing in it that warrants putting it on a home system and charging $50 for. It's a fucking 2D side scroller for crying out loud. I love Mario but no way would I be stupid enough to pay that much for a game that could be played on the original SNES.

Xenogears V
12-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Why you surpiresed?.

Wii= 100M console sell
360+ps3+Pc=50M :confused:

More console sold like Wii mean more possibilities to sell software.

LKJHGFDSA
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
What I don't understand is why was the new Mario game put on the Wii instead of the DS because there's nothing in it that warrants putting it on a home system and charging $50 for. It's a fucking 2D side scroller for crying out loud. I love Mario but no way would I be stupid enough to pay that much for a game that could be played on the original SNES.

i love the widescreen in nsmbw, the only flaws i saw in the ds one was, the lack of yoshis, and the poor polygon count when characters grew larger.
i really don't see what you're complaining about, you must be quite old to have those views.

etb
12-11-2009, 11:17 AM

first you can't play 4 player coop on your snes and second i f.e. would love to see more 2d platforming games on home consoles. just because you can make 3d games does not mean you should..

games like contra or castlevania have to be in 2d every attempt to make them 3d failed.
i love my ds for the new castlevania games and such but onestly i haven't finished one because i don't sit at home playing ds if i have a tv were i can play stuff on ...

pwwpww
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
360+ps3+Pc=50M :confused:
what :eek:

EL_CAD
12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't think that Mario will catch up with MW2 by Jan 2010, but it will in the long run sell more copies.

picopir8
12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
COD games always sell well at launch but then die off pretty quickly. Mario games on the other hand have steady sales. My bet is that when the dust settles NSMB will have outsold CODMW, but it wont happen until spring/summer at the earliest.

I am a fan of both series and I am still undecided if I will pick up NSMB. It looks fun but I have yet to see anything to compel me to dish out the cash. Conversely, I already made up my mind to NOT purchase CODMW. Nearly every review says that the single player game is weak. For me I much prefer single player games because I like the stories (like watching an interactive movie), multiplayer is the icing on the cake but I wont buy a game just for multiplayer.

Brandogg
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
The thing is, most people who will buy MW2 have already bought it, and NSMBW will sell for years.

Edit - and Nintendo reports that NSMB has surpassed 2 million already.

ok123
12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Long time no see :)
Long time no see indeed :) Unfortunately i havnt really been that active on the Maxconsole.net forums in general the last couple of months or so. How are you? :)

Yes reggie said: NSMB Wii will outsell Modern Warfare 2 on one system by the end of January 2010.
Less than reputable sales numbers below, all exclude japanese sales.
NSMB Wii = 2.21 million
MW2 PS3 = 4.41 million - 360 = 6.34 million - PC = ???

My bet is it will outsell the PC version, Maybe due to the fact electronic sales numbers are never released for the steam platform.
Are those numbers US numbers only? Come to think of it, didnt Reggie mention something about the NPD numbers when he mentioned January 2010? If he did, maybe he ment in sales in USA only? But i am not sure.

I also think that NSMB Wii will outsell the PC version of Modern Warfare 2. I wouldnt be surprised if NSMB Wii has already outsold the PC version of MW2, but i have no idea how much the PC version of MW2 has sold so far though.

I wonder how big MW2 is on PC. Does the PC version also have leaderboards and shows how many people that are playing online? If yes, can anyone tell me how many people who are playing online? (how many that play online might variate from hour to hour though). I know that looking at how many that plays online doesnt necessarily shows how good the game has sold, but maybe it can give some small indication on if the game has sold much :)

ThreeDog
12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Long time no see indeed :) Unfortunately i havnt really been that active on the Maxconsole.net forums in general the last couple of months or so. How are you? :)

Are those numbers US numbers only? Come to think of it, didnt Reggie mention something about the NPD numbers when he mentioned January 2010? If he did, maybe he ment in sales in USA only? But i am not sure.

I also think that NSMB Wii will outsell the PC version of Modern Warfare 2. I wouldnt be surprised if NSMB Wii has already outsold the PC version of MW2, but i have no idea how much the PC version of MW2 has sold so far though.

I wonder how big MW2 is on PC. Does the PC version also have leaderboards and shows how many people that are playing online? If yes, can anyone tell me how many people who are playing online? (how many that play online might variate from hour to hour though). I know that looking at how many that plays online doesnt necessarily shows how good the game has sold, but maybe it can give some small indication on if the game has sold much :)

Welcome back its always good to see someone sane reappear on the forums. Im good thanks, you?
Numbers are USA and Other combined taken from vgchartz so don't put too much faith in those values.

Here's the full quote

“Modern Warfare 2 is on two platforms. On a single platform, absolutely. I say that unequivocally. On one particular platform, I do believe so. You’ve got to give me the entire holiday selling season, so let’s take it all the way through the January NPD data. It’s going to be close. Modern Warfare is a a great title. As a gamer, I look forward to it. The new Modern Warfare, I think is going to be a fantastic title. Not to discount it, it will sell well. Of course I’ll play it. I play all the content out there.”

Its the January NPD data for total sales and reggie excluded the PC anyway so i guess thats just not an issue.
As for checking MW2 well you can see how many are playing per match type but i can't find a total, Thing is im not sure if those values are regional or for the whole of IWnet.

JonathanD
12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
The thing to remember about Nintendo's first party titles is that they keep on selling. I do not know how Nintendo does it but when they release something thats even a moderate hit the things just keep on selling...

Having played both games, I will say that I loved them both for different reasons.

I do agree that NSMB will probably outsell MW2 on all systems combined but that will be 2-3 years from now and not this Christmas (MW2 is the new hotness lol)

I will say that somehow I felt that MW2 was not as good as MW1, and I can't put my finger on it as to why.... I played the first game like 10 times in a row in single player just because it was so much fun. The second one after doing it a second time I am pretty much done. Maybe its just so much like the first one that I was already kind of tired of it? Probably just me the thing is selling like hot cakes and is still a great game.

faceless
12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Reggie's actual statement was very specific, and he'll be right. on or about 6:30 PM EST, on February 11th, 2010, the NPD numbers for January will be released, and NSMB Wii will have handily outsold the PS3 version of MW2.

Also, by the end of 2010, probably sooner, NSMB Wii will have outsold COD6 on all platforms combined, period.

ok123
12-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Welcome back its always good to see someone sane reappear on the forums. Im good thanks, you?
Thanks for the welcome back and thanks for the kind words! :) It is nice to see you too! :) Nice to hear that you are good :) I am good as well, thanks! :)

Numbers are USA and Other combined taken from vgchartz so don't put too much faith in those values.
Ah ok. Ye, many of the vgchartz numbers are estimated numbers indeed. I think that there might be a chance that New Super Mario Bros Wii has sold more than 2.21 million copies by now in USA and "other" (does this include Europe by the way?). I am not sure about the Modern Warfare 2 numbers.

Here's the full quote

Its the January NPD data for total sales and reggie excluded the PC anyway so i guess thats just not an issue.
Thanks for posting the quote from Reggie! :) It looks like Reggie ment either the PS3 and Xbox 360 version of Modern Warfare 2 indeed, since NPD doesnt track PC games as you say. I think that it shall be interesting to see what happends, both NSMB Wii and MW2 can sell a lot of copies in December i think. It might be close between NSMB Wii and the PS3 version of MW2.

As for checking MW2 well you can see how many are playing per match type but i can't find a total, Thing is im not sure if those values are regional or for the whole of IWnet.
Ah ok, thanks for checking! :) Is there a way to check how many people that are in the leaderboards?

djkatarat
12-11-2009, 11:30 PM
a few reasons :)

-codmw2 is a phase, eventually it will phase out and part three or newer will come, and thats the end of its life.

-new super mario bros wii is gonna be there, everyone that gets a wii will have that game eventually.

-codmw2 came out, modders got banned. forced everyone to buy the game legit, and possibly by a new xbox.

-nsmbw leaked out early, patched to work early, cleared by some before the official release date.(cough, me) zero online play.

-if nsmbw pirated bricked our system, or banned from online, im sure it would have out sold mw2 by FARRR.

-microsoft probably only did the bans at the time they did just to boost sales:D to try to destroy nsmbw.

ThreeDog
12-12-2009, 04:42 AM
@ok123 those numbers include europe.
Must have been tired its 10am (wtf am i doing out of bed?) and says 74,327 total players in MW2.
I do not see any leaderboard functionality ingame at all.

Hope this helps

EL_CAD
12-12-2009, 01:10 PM
These numbers are from Steam today. It was much higher a couple weeks ago:

Peak Today
91,952 Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
85,306 Counter-Strike: Source
66,201 Counter-Strike
23,892 Left 4 Dead 2
22,686 Team Fortress 2
20,212 Modern Warfare 2
16,003 Football Manager 2010

Almost 92K online and 20K on single player.

doxology
12-12-2009, 01:24 PM
i think that nsmb wii can outsell the PS3 version in the US possibly by then. i think that it will probably sell better in december than mw2. most people that play fps online buy them on day one. nsmb wii will keep selling steadily and should have a good december considering there aren't that many games to compete against it on wii for people's money during the Christmas season.

ok123
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
@ok123 those numbers include europe.
Ok :) NPD numbers had New Super Mario Bros Wii at 1.39 million sold in November in USA only, so i wouldnt be surprised if NSMB Wii has sold at least over 2 million copies in USA and Europe by now :)

@Must have been tired its 10am (wtf am i doing out of bed?) and says 74,327 total players in MW2.
I do not see any leaderboard functionality ingame at all.

Hope this helps
Great, thanks for checking! :) If the PC version is like the PS3 (and maybe the Xbox 360 version as well, i havnt tried the Xbox 360 version so i cant say for sure), then the leaderboards can be seen if you click on "Barracks" in the multiplayer menu. Under "Barracks" there is a "Leaderboards" option that you can click on, at least it is like this in the PS3 version.

These numbers are from Steam today. It was much higher a couple weeks ago:

Peak Today
91,952 Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
85,306 Counter-Strike: Source
66,201 Counter-Strike
23,892 Left 4 Dead 2
22,686 Team Fortress 2
20,212 Modern Warfare 2
16,003 Football Manager 2010

Almost 92K online and 20K on single player.
Great, thanks for these Steam stats! :) Based on these numbers, it seems to me like the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has been selling pretty good. I wonder how much the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has sold worldwide by now, maybe at least over 500k? And maybe even around 1 million? But i have no idea :\

I wish that someone would give out sales numbers for how much the PC version of MW2 has sold, since i think it would be interesting to see how the PC version has sold compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 version :)

ThreeDog
12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Great, thanks for checking! :) If the PC version is like the PS3 (and maybe the Xbox 360 version as well, i havnt tried the Xbox 360 version so i cant say for sure), then the leaderboards can be seen if you click on "Barracks" in the multiplayer menu. Under "Barracks" there is a "Leaderboards" option that you can click on, at least it is like this in the PS3 version.

There are no leaderboards i went and checked. As for the numbers that's anyone's guess VG has them at 3 million for usa/europe that's pretty good going in itself, this is a tease i look forward to the end of jan to see if reggie is right.

redsquirrell
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
im pretty sure reggie said that NSMB will outsell MW2 in its lifetime sales, not just over xmas.

ok123
12-22-2009, 12:37 PM
There are no leaderboards i went and checked.
Ah ok, thanks for checking! :) When you play Modern Warfare 2 on PC, do you have to register a username or can you just use any username that you want? If you can use any username that you want, then i understand why there isnt any leaderboard in the PC version of Modern Warfare 2.

As for the numbers that's anyone's guess VG has them at 3 million for usa/europe that's pretty good going in itself, this is a tease i look forward to the end of jan to see if reggie is right.
Which game is (or was when you wrote this post) at 3 million for USA/Europe according to VGchartz, New Super Mario Bros Wii or the PS3 version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

I am sorry for the very late reply here by the way :( I knew that you had replied many days ago, but i didnt get around to reply before today, i am sorry :\

ThreeDog
12-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Ah ok, thanks for checking! :) When you play Modern Warfare 2 on PC, do you have to register a username or can you just use any username that you want? If you can use any username that you want, then i understand why there isnt any leaderboard in the PC version of Modern Warfare 2.

Which game is (or was when you wrote this post) at 3 million for USA/Europe according to VGchartz, New Super Mario Bros Wii or the PS3 version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

I am sorry for the very late reply here by the way :( I knew that you had replied many days ago, but i didnt get around to reply before today, i am sorry :\
You can have any username you want you simply change it in the steam settings panel, good logic probably why i couldn't find the leaderboards.

At the time of posting i was refering to NSMB. I'm still looking forward to see the outcome of this, With no updates on the MW2 numbers on VG its anyone's guess to how this is going.

Don't worry about the late reply it happens and i wasn't expecting one, Incase i don't see you around have a very merry xmas. :)