PDA

View Full Version : Wii mod chip maker helps rebuild school in Cambodia

Zeus
12-26-2009, 12:17 PM
According to the 'Wii Key team', they have donated a considerable sum of money to help re-build a school in Cambodia. Apparently, they are closely monitoring the re-build. While it's a nice touch, one must question the ethics of the raised capital and whether it's all a PR stunt.

<blockquote>To celebrate the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010, we have chosen to donate a sum of money to a charitable project. This doesn't mean sending a quick wire transfer to Unicef, though. The project was independently identified and commissioned by members of the team and the progress, including exactly how the money is being used, is being closely monitored.

If you have purchased a Wiikey product this year, you have helped to make this project a reality!</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.wiikey.cn/en/anuwitiyalai-prey-srolit-school/" target="_Blank">WiiKey.cn</a>

Ahmed_p800
12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Thats.......weird!!

:p

howl
12-26-2009, 12:49 PM
by spreading a way of running copies, they help to reduce the production of plastic cases that dissolve in 1000 years in nature, discs that contain lead that poison of water. they surely help to save the nature :D

GT-RRR
12-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Well I've got to say... that's extremely open-hearted of them. :)

ThreeDog
12-26-2009, 01:31 PM
This is a really nice thing for the Wiikey team to do.

Signa
12-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't question the ethics of a modding team, I just question the ethics of the pirates. All the team is doing is allowing users to take full advantage of a product that has been crippled. Pirates on the other hand will steal and copy anything they can. While that is inherently bad, some people like me will then buy the good games that they copied. As long as that is done for everyone, there is no one in the wrong.

It's cool that they are helping a charitable cause. Even if it's a PR stunt, some one is going to benefit for it, and that's a good thing no matter the motives.

GT-RRR
12-26-2009, 02:13 PM
While that is inherently bad, some people like me will then buy the good games that they copied.
Please spare this bulls*it.

Who the hell would think... "I've finally downloaded this game which took me about 2 days (and maybe even a letter from my ISP), and I like it, but I feel bad so I'm going to go out and buy the actual game for good karma... even though I have a fully working copy sitting in my console at home..."

C'mon people stop saying this because you're obviously not going to.

Ragnarok
12-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Who the hell would think... "I've finally downloaded this game which took me about 2 days (and maybe even a letter from my ISP), and I like it, but I feel bad so I'm going to go out and buy the actual game for good karma... even though I have a fully working copy sitting in my console at home..."

Two days!? More like an hour or two.

Ahmed_p800
12-26-2009, 02:48 PM

I DID/DO/WILL DO THAT....with some games:

1-Lost Oddessy
2-Half Life 2 Ep2 on PC after "Trying" it on Xbox360 :p
3-Resident Evil 5

And some other games

Allll my FF series collection are original....the developers deserve that much

GT-RRR
12-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Two days!? More like an hour or two.
Well it takes a few hours on a 10MB+ with torrent speed optimised.

I have 20MB, but I'm just basing that on people who have say about 2-4MB broadband, and a game being at least 4-5GB.

GT-RRR
12-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Allll my FF series collection are original....the developers deserve that much
Exactly. :)

QrafTee
12-26-2009, 03:48 PM
I like kentucky fried chicken... That's messed up man.

GT-RRR
12-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I like cheeseburgers
Hey at least they're not thieving, murdering, rapist cheeseburgers then it's all good. :p

yutaro
12-26-2009, 07:13 PM

You think people don't? Think again.

msanchez
12-26-2009, 07:14 PM
This argument is akin to the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" thing. I don't believe that we should question Smith & Wesson if they did something similar, modchips have their good and legit uses we are the ones that choose to use them the wrong way.

XviD
12-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Trollbait fail :D
I was joking before, props to them.
My best friend is black.

NeoNight
12-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Are the wii key team modern day robin hoods?

Signa
12-26-2009, 11:07 PM

And Spare me yours. It's got nothing to do with karma or internet speeds. I'm trying out a game to make sure I'm not getting suckered into a lemon. Game companies do that all the time because they will sink millions of dollars into some poorly planned pile of crap, and expect people to pay for it because they care more about making their money back than making a good game and returning customers. I for one will not pay for something unless I know it either be returned or is actually worth buying. Games can not be returned, so I test-drive them first. I'm not deluded into thinking that it's ok to take a game, love it, and then never pay anyone for it. Dev's need people to love their games so that people will buy their games. If people buy their games, then they will make more good games. It's a cycle, and I'm not going to be the one that breaks it because I know how to cheat the system.

kama
12-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Where's the Wiikey1 BGA update?

jbondsr
12-27-2009, 02:23 AM
And Spare me yours. It's got nothing to do with karma or internet speeds. I'm trying out a game to make sure I'm not getting suckered into a lemon. Game companies do that all the time because they will sink millions of dollars into some poorly planned pile of crap, and expect people to pay for it because they care more about making their money back than making a good game and returning customers. I for one will not pay for something unless I know it either be returned or is actually worth buying. Games can not be returned, so I test-drive them first. I'm not deluded into thinking that it's ok to take a game, love it, and then never pay anyone for it. Dev's need people to love their games so that people will buy their games. If people buy their games, then they will make more good games. It's a cycle, and I'm not going to be the one that breaks it because I know how to cheat the system.

Even if you're taking the games for a "test-drive", the fact is that you obtained the games through illegal methods.
If the game is not available for rent, has no demo, or you can't borrow it from a friend, then you have NO right to play the game unless you purchase it. (Downloading or copying a game is NOT the same as borrowing from someone who actually purchased it.)
If the developers miss out on a sale because of this, then it's a good thing. They'll learn to provide demos/rent-able versions, and maybe stop charging people $40+ dollars for the latest iteration of Tetris or Sudoku.

And, while I do agree that modchips do provide a way to open the system you purchased to software you would like to run, I would have to believe that a majority of the mochip makers profits come from potential pirates.

As for the Wiikey Team giving to charity, I feel conflicted for a few reasons.

1. Giving to charity is good, but are they just doing it to get courts off their backs, or to provide a defense for future lawsuits?

2. I believe that a majority of modchip users use the modchips to get free games. As such, they are stealing from software developer profits. Is it right to steal from one man to give to a less fortunate man? (And I don't think that developers are oppressing us enough to warrant stealing.)

Let's say someone was selling Marijuana. It can have medicinal purposes, but the use of it as a drug is rampant. If someone was to build a school from some of the profits, does it make it right? Do the ends justify the means?

Ahmed_p800
12-27-2009, 05:04 AM

Cant agree more!!!

For me paying 240 DHS (60$) for a game is painful!!

An really....if i dont like the game i just downloaded i just throw it away!
And i never play it again....

And it happens aloooooooooooooot!!!

So why the hell should i pay that much for a game that i wont play?!

Also some games dont have demos....ALSO i cant rent/borrow a game here.

Signa
12-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Even if you're taking the games for a "test-drive", the fact is that you obtained the games through illegal methods.
If the game is not available for rent, has no demo, or you can't borrow it from a friend, then you have NO right to play the game unless you purchase it. (Downloading or copying a game is NOT the same as borrowing from someone who actually purchased it.)
If the developers miss out on a sale because of this, then it's a good thing. They'll learn to provide demos/rent-able versions, and maybe stop charging people $40+ dollars for the latest iteration of Tetris or Sudoku.

Now, you're just breaking it down to what is legal and what is fair. The laws are pretty much there because the media industry put them there to make sure that anyone circumventing the system was doing illegally so they could sue them. Even though I don't fault the game industry for this, they still use the same rules to their advantage.

I really don't care if I have the right to play the game or not, because in the end legality is irrelevant. What matters is if I liked it and if I payed for it. Done. Anything else is just noise to confuse the issue because those media companies (music and movies especially) would prefer you to blindly buy their crap so that nothing they make is a complete failure financially.

Going back to the cycle that I mentioned in my last post, all I'm doing is purifying it. With the current rules in place, the industries are allowed to churn out anything they want, and YOU are in the wrong if you experience it without paying them. This would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that they are literally trying to rip us off with anything they make that is a pile of crap. My friend just bought Operation Flashpoint on Steam and the game doesn't work. He can't get a refund, so he's stuck with something completely useless. There is no way some one should have to pay for anything if they hate it or can't use it, and aren't allowed to take it back. Would you like to buy a car without test driving it first? Would you appreciate the dealership suing/arresting you for test driving the car because you used it to get from point A to B while you test drove it? My friend played by the rules and it bit him in the ass. The company got his money and he doesn't have a game.

All I'm trying to say is that you are banking on a system that is slanted against you. There's no way that is right, and as long as there are people who are "purifying" the system as I am, then movies, music, and games have to make better stuff if they expect to make money.

This argument is akin to the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" thing. I don't believe that we should question Smith & Wesson if they did something similar, modchips have their good and legit uses we are the ones that choose to use them the wrong way.

Bingo. I missed this the first time I was on the first page because I was in a flame war. That's pretty much what I was trying to say in my first post before this all got started. Ahh, internet arguments are so much more satisfying than productive.

yutaro
12-27-2009, 12:30 PM
You don't even know what you're saying! Developers have no say in financial matters. Forget the developers! This is a matter of publishers. The devs have already gotten their money's worth while working on the game. Their job is to make a game, if they do their job right (often under unreasonable pressure and sometimes even blackmail) the publishers pay them for it. They get their monthly salaries.
When the game is done, WE PAY THE PUBLISHERS when we buy games. NONE of it goes back to the devs, because the publishers own all the rights to all the IP's. When Activision sells 30 million units of Modern Warfare 2, Infinity Ward gets jack **** back, except for a measly promotion and the guarantee of "longtime employement".
ALL DEVS GET SCREWED OVER by a simple thing called Intellectual Property rights. And you encourage this kind of behavior from publishers every time you blindly go pay for games.

Who the **** is getting ripped off now?

msanchez
12-27-2009, 02:24 PM
... Ahh, internet arguments are so much more satisfying than productive.

LOL

You don't even know what you're saying! Developers have no say in financial matters. Forget the developers! This is a matter of publishers. The devs have already gotten their money's worth while working on the game. Their job is to make a game, if they do their job right (often under unreasonable pressure and sometimes even blackmail) the publishers pay them for it. They get their monthly salaries.
When the game is done, WE PAY THE PUBLISHERS when we buy games. NONE of it goes back to the devs, because the publishers own all the rights to all the IP's. When Activision sells 30 million units of Modern Warfare 2, Infinity Ward gets jack **** back, except for a measly promotion and the guarantee of "longtime employement".
ALL DEVS GET SCREWED OVER by a simple thing called Intellectual Property rights. And you encourage this kind of behavior from publishers every time you blindly go pay for games.

Who the **** is getting ripped off now?

I was under the impression devs got some royalties after games sold a certain amount? though with publishers like EA out there nothing would surprise me.

Signa
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
LOL

I was under the impression devs got some royalties after games sold a certain amount? though with publishers like EA out there nothing would surprise me.

As god-awful I think we all can agree EA is, I've heard that as a publisher, they are a dev's wet-dream. I'm not a dev obviously, but I guess they just do their job right and for a reasonable fare. This of course pisses me off because even though I've pretty much vowed to never support EA again, I can't help but do so when other companies (including Valve) release a game. Boycotting EA because of EA is one thing, boycotting everyone because of EA is another.

JonathanD
12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Where's the Wiikey1 BGA update?

I was wondering that myself lol I mean the original copy works fine and I managed to get it working under one of the USB loaders (so my disk is now safe lol)

Oh well I have been looking for a bigger USB drive anyway (got like 5 games on a 4GB flash drive) I have a 160GB ipod 2 different external USB hard drive cases and none of those will work for me :(

I need a small USB powered external drive....

Ohh the iPod only will not work since I have the 6th gen iPod classic :( *sobs* I mean I hardly use the thing so to me it would make a perfect Nintendo drive.

Edit: Hmmm its 120GB not 160GB lol I guess I was in wishful thinking mode. Still tons bigger then 4GB's lol

msanchez
12-28-2009, 12:13 AM
As god-awful I think we all can agree EA is, I've heard that as a publisher, they are a dev's wet-dream. I'm not a dev obviously, but I guess they just do their job right and for a reasonable fare. This of course pisses me off because even though I've pretty much vowed to never support EA again, I can't help but do so when other companies (including Valve) release a game. Boycotting EA because of EA is one thing, boycotting everyone because of EA is another.

Oh? haven't I heard that EA is one of the pioneers in the "Release it now fix it later" mentality?

Signa
12-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Oh? haven't I heard that EA is one of the pioneers in the "Release it now fix it later" mentality?

That's their games. I'm speaking from what I've heard of them as a publisher. You are right though, because with the case of the Orange Box, they published the game for all three systems (Xbox, PS3, PC), but they did the porting to the PS3 because Valve wasn't going to do it. They did a really crappy job and Valve wasn't going to fix it because they didn't do it, and EA just sat around with its thumb up its ass. If I remember the story correctly, they felt it was up to Valve to fix it because it was their game. Long story short, PS3 owners got mega-shafted.

Like I said, we can all agree that EA is probably one of the worst companies out there for making games, but I've heard from interviews with devs that EA is the best publisher.

NSTar
01-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Great stuff!