PDA

View Full Version : SEGA: Nintendo could drop Wii price to 80 bucks

Zeus
01-04-2010, 09:57 AM
A studio director from SEGA has an idea of how Nintendo can save the Wii and make it fly off the shelves once again. It's simple! He believes that they can just drop down the price to 80 dollars and they will still make a lot of money!

<blockquote>I think the Wii is on its tail slide, unless they drop the price to like 80 bucks then you’ll start seeing it flying off the shelves. And I believe they’ll still make money if they drop it to 80 bucks…Point being is they have the ability to lower the price on the Wii [...] where Sony and Microsoft cannot do that.”</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.nintendoeverything.com/30463/" target="_blank">NintendoEverything</a>

EL_CAD
01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Since when was Sega the expert on moving gaming consoles? This is like AMC giving advise to Toyota.

The Wii is still outselling the 360 and PS3 combined so I don't see a price drop for at least 6 months or more.

tech3475
01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
There is one reason why their isnt a price drop:
Nintendo make a profit on every unit sold.

In fact I wonder if many wii users stick to just a few games, which the shaver and razor model wont easily work with.

cafevincent
01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I would buy one.

CharmedonWB
01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I am still having a very difficult time in figuring out how the Wii is stalling in sales. Last week, the Wii sold 1.8M units while the 360 and PS3 combined only moved 1.7M units. So where in your right mind are Wii sales stalling? The Wii is outselling the PS2 during the same time in its life cycle. Not to mention, why would you drop the price to $80? The PS2 and the GC still sell for $99, why would the Wii drop below those prices? Do these people at Sega have any sense or are they employing ten year olds now?

ThreeDog
01-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I am still having a very difficult time in figuring out how the Wii is stalling in sales. Last week, the Wii sold 1.8M units while the 360 and PS3 combined only moved 1.7M units. So where in your right mind are Wii sales stalling? The Wii is outselling the PS2 during the same time in its life cycle. Not to mention, why would you drop the price to $80? The PS2 and the GC still sell for $99, why would the Wii drop below those prices? Do these people at Sega have any sense or are they employing ten year olds now?

I prefer to see it as a gradual slowing of sales, Stalling is more of a prediction of the end result.

The Wii went from 100% demand constantly out of stock to nintendo overstocking which now has resulted in a surplus, that should mean the slowing or closing of some plants and a relaxation of shipping to meet the demands of different regions.

The prediction as i see it is that the Wii will hit the market saturation point for this level of pricing in some regions soon, To keep up sales numbers nintendo will need to drop the price to target the next audience. So what is the next audience? in the UK it's the average two kid family stuck on social security looking to buy last generations technology (PS2/GC/Xbox) because they cannot afford the Wii and everything they'll need with it.

Nintendo can take this hit. i think they can remove £65 here and still be making a profit, Considering someone could get a PS2/GC for £40 this is fairly logical by sega.

wrathchild
01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
It would have to be at least $80 before I would even consider buying that piece of crap.

CharmedonWB
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I prefer to see it as a gradual slowing of sales, Stalling is more of a prediction of the end result.

The Wii went from 100% demand constantly out of stock to nintendo overstocking which now has resulted in a surplus, that should mean the slowing or closing of some plants and a relaxation of shipping to meet the demands of different regions.

The prediction as i see it is that the Wii will hit the market saturation point for this level of pricing in some regions soon, To keep up sales numbers nintendo will need to drop the price to target the next audience. So what is the next audience? in the UK it's the average two kid family stuck on social security looking to buy last generations technology (PS2/GC/Xbox) because they cannot afford the Wii and everything they'll need with it.

Nintendo can take this hit. i think they can remove £65 here and still be making a profit, Considering someone could get a PS2/GC for £40 this is fairly logical by sega.

I do not see the logic behind it. Sales for the PS2 were slowing too; I do not recall anyone screaming that Sony drop the price to $80. The Wii is still outselling its competition, until that changes, I do not see the need in discussing price reductions. Mind you, the DS is still $120 and selling very well, the Wii cannot drop lower than the DS.

NeoNight
01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
well what are the price of two gamecubes now? lol :D;):p

soulbwoy
01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
well what are the price of two gamecubes now? lol :D;):p

Exactly lol

EL_CAD
01-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Are Gamecubes that expensive over there? Here you would be lucky to get $20 for one. A Wavebird sells for more than the console does now.

cammy1011
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
If only they would of made the Wii HD,and at least played dvd movies out the box.

CharmedonWB
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Are Gamecubes that expensive over there? Here you would be lucky to get $20 for one. A Wavebird sells for more than the console does now.

If you are selling a used GC, clearly you're not going to get a whole lot more than $20 but new GC's are still in the $90-$100 price range.

JonathanD
01-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Not sure about a surplus the Walmart near me was completely sold out of Wii's this Christmas and in fact it was so weird they where also nearly sold out of games and accessories.... (even the crap was gone, I mean I can understand NSMB or a hand full of the other titles being sold out but I mean it was empty)

I mean I am talking there was like 3 games left in the case.

JonathanD
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM

I know what was the deal with the Wavebirds? I bought four of the things when I got my Wii and then they vanished (figured it was the best way to play all those GC games I never got to play... had I known I would hardly use more then 2 of the things I would have saved my money)

They are a decent controller but why did Nintendo stop making the things? If thats what happened.

JonathanD
01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
It would have to be at least $80 before I would even consider buying that piece of crap.

Good news its already at least 199$ !!!

ohhh wait did you mean it would have to at most $80 ?

Don't get mad I'm just playing, I know what you meant lol

CharmedonWB
01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
good news its already at least 199$ !!!

Ohhh wait did you mean it would have to at most $80 ?

Don't get mad i'm just playing, i know what you meant lol

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ichijoe
01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Since when was Sega the expert on moving gaming consoles? This is like AMC giving advise to Toyota.

The Wii is still outselling the 360 and PS3 combined so I don't see a price drop for at least 6 months or more.

American Motor Corporation??
We're showing our age a bit here aren't we??

I thought they got picked up by Chrysler back during the 80's when Lee Iococa was still running the place.
I wonder how he feels about the ultimate loss of Chrysler as former American Company, IIRC it's currently owned by Fiat S.p.A,, which again IIRC ~also~ owns Ferrari lol.

ThreeDog
01-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Not sure about a surplus the Walmart near me was completely sold out of Wii's this Christmas and in fact it was so weird they where also nearly sold out of games and accessories.... (even the crap was gone, I mean I can understand NSMB or a hand full of the other titles being sold out but I mean it was empty)

I mean I am talking there was like 3 games left in the case.

Your store being completely sold out is no indication, when i spoke of surplus i meant nintendo's holding services not your local walmart.

It's a case of being able to find them in stock, some stores will charge a premium to keep it going. Up until six months ago i could get them for £25.
Stores may also charge a premium on keeping games in stock too as shelf space is declining. As far as it goes you can still get a GC a few games a couple of controllers new here and it will still end up being cheaper than an £165 barebones Wii.

put4558350
01-05-2010, 02:35 PM
If only they would of made the Wii HD,and at least played dvd movies out the box.

**You can play dvd on wii + homebrows.

Nintendo can't make Wii play dvd base on dvd's license only.

Officially nintendo don't call Wii and GameCube optical as dvd (not include panasonic q). It's a trick to don't have to pay license to sony.

Unlike microsoft that have every license (from windows).

In order to make a dvd playback. Nintendo need to accept that it's a dvd and pay sony. pay more to go pass dvd's drm like css. and it might end like panasonic q.

so if Wii do play movie. i think it's more internet bound like itune, zune, netflex.

EL_CAD
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
American Motor Corporation??
We're showing our age a bit here aren't we??

I thought they got picked up by Chrysler back during the 80's when Lee Iococa was still running the place.
I wonder how he feels about the ultimate loss of Chrysler as former American Company, IIRC it's currently owned by Fiat S.p.A,, which again IIRC ~also~ owns Ferrari lol.
The AMC Eagle was a great car. I've had 2, but sold my last one about 7 years ago to another fan of the car.

Chrysler bought AMC in 87 and the last year for AMC cars was 88. Chrysler used the Eagle name for a few years after that.

EL_CAD
01-05-2010, 06:16 PM
If you are selling a used GC, clearly you're not going to get a whole lot more than $20 but new GC's are still in the $90-$100 price range.
Well I guess new Gamecubes are pretty rare since they stop making them about 2 and half years ago. But I've seen used ones at Gamestop for $20 last time I was at the store a few weeks back.

gtmtnbiker
01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I picked up a NIB Gamecube for $30 from GameStop about 4 months ago but I haven't seen a new one for $90 anywhere for awhile.

One advantage of the Gamecube is that you can hook up the GB Player to it so that you can play GB/GBC/GBA on your TV. You can get a used player for $10 from Gamestop. Good deal!

ThreeDog
01-06-2010, 02:00 AM
I do not see the logic behind it. Sales for the PS2 were slowing too; I do not recall anyone screaming that Sony drop the price to $80. The Wii is still outselling its competition, until that changes, I do not see the need in discussing price reductions. Mind you, the DS is still $120 and selling very well, the Wii cannot drop lower than the DS.He isn't suggesting the price is dropped to $80 just suggesting Nintendo can go that low and still turn a profit.

Iwata confirms the slowdown says black friday and xmas sales show a better situation but doesn't appear to believe the troubles are over.
http://kotaku.com/5441133/nintendo-president-wii-not-out-of-the-woods-yet

I would say around march-april a price cut will happen, they may be outselling everything but they'll want to maintain momentum or at least slow the slowdown. Its worth noting while Nintendo are outselling they're not outpricing in the UK, Infact with current discounts you could own a 360 arcade for less than a DSi.

More negative news from capcom france, RE: DC sold 16,000 copies in its first few weeks compared to RE4 140,000 copies, Says the 360 and PS3 are the future and the audience on the Wii has 'changed' claiming gamers games are selling less and less on the console. Add to that less than expected performance of other games.

I like this quote the most While Seux says the Wii is "still an important part of sales," he calls it "very much a family [console] with low attachment rates."
http://news.spong.com/article/20105/Capcom-Less-Wii-After-Darkside-Chronicles-Sells-Only-16k
http://kotaku.com/5440909/capcoms-france-boss-the-future-is-on-ps3-and-360

So third party attachment rates are also low, Family audiences are not buying a few of capcom's better efforts and neither are hardcore gamers.
A few developers/publishers have spoken about this so lets assume its true, Can Nintendo afford not to cut prices during a sales slowing/slump?
Will the lack of a price cut push other publishers to change their focus?

Sega has it spot on despite the questionable quality of their releases

EL_CAD
01-06-2010, 08:28 PM
More negative news from capcom france, RE: DC sold 16,000 copies in its first few weeks compared to RE4 140,000 copies, Says the 360 and PS3 are the future and the audience on the Wii has 'changed' claiming gamers games are selling less and less on the console. Add to that less than expected performance of other games.

Since when was a light gun game a gamers game? Do light gun games ever sell well? RE: The Darkside Chronicles is an average rated game that was only hoping for sales because it had Resident Evil in the title.

Maybe Capcom should have not release two Resident Evil rehash games in the same month.

Gamers and even Wii owners are not calling for more light gun games. People who own a Wii want the same types of games that are on the other consoles. Call of Duty games sell well on Wii even when they are released two late. The Beatles: Rock Band almost sold more on the Wii then the 360 and PS3 combined. The same can almost be said for Tiger Woods 10.

Wii gamers should not be expected to buy half assed games just because they are on Wii.

Azariel
01-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Mmmm.. is Sega we are talking about... the ones that gave up the console market because they "understood so much about it"... :D

Wii is still selling solid... And i believe they will continue selling like crazy for a long time...

elizz
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
wow! still it's not that good when you could have it for free like I saw on this site ezwingame.com that have lots of free prizes and all of them were pretty cool I think it's a good alternative if you ask me..

thefatastronaut
01-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm sure that the cost for the hardware alone is over $80. It will be a cold day in hell when the price for a brand new Wii hits $80. This guy is probably smoking something that he should not be.