PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: Wii is full of shovelware

Zeus
01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Analyst Michael Pacther believes that Wii publishers need to limit their ouput of games and instead focus on higher quality. He noted that there is just too much Wii 'shovelware' around such as the cheap games nobody wants in the bargain bins.

<blockquote>"Wii publishers need to concentrate on fewer games but games of higher quality," he says. "There is just too much shovelware around -- like the $15 games in the end-cap bargain bins at Target. Companies like Majesco just spin them out non-stop and there are tons of them. They aren't helping anybody keep their lights on." </blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4237/thirdparty_publishers_react_to_.php?page=2" target="_blank">Gamasutra</a>

msanchez
01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Analyst? more like Obviouslyst.

tech3475
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I think one word can some my feelings:
facepalm.

Maybe I should be an analyst, I know just as much if not more than allot of these people.

Battlefield
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Did this guy live below a rock the last years? Others have said this, but gamers know it.

Wii is catching up on PS1 and PS2 with showelware. Showelware is why Wii is #1, and why PS1+2 was #1.

SLAYERPSP
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Analyst? more like Obviouslyst.

just what i was thinking

jackoneil2000
01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Wii definitely needs to loose the low-budget games, really hurting the Wii brand.

High quality games please, 360 already has a sweet lineup for 2010. :cool:

Ryupower
01-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Wii AND DS is full of shovelware

both of Nintendo systems are full of it
ie:
imagine game series

WoIverine
01-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Looks like Nintendo's decided to crap all over their "seal of quality."

QrafTee
01-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Looks like Nintendo's decided to crap all over their "seal of quality."Actually, I don't think Nintendo has a Nintendo Seal of Quality anymore. They secretly replaced it with the Official Nintendo Seal because they knew that they wouldn't be able to live up to the whole "quality thing."

Also... it doesn't take much to be an "analyst" anymore, eh?

tech3475
01-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Before they restricted what devs could do eg. 5 games a year, etc.

Now though with increased competition, larger devs and longer schedules, it may not be possible for such a system.

picopir8
01-09-2010, 09:10 AM
The wii has just as many quality titles as the other consoles. The problem is, the most popular consoles always get the most shovelware. The developers just want a quick buck and tend to only focus on one platform. More and more shovelware is being developed for consoles since fewer people are buying PC games.

[ACF]Umax
01-09-2010, 09:43 AM
The wii has just as many quality titles as the other consoles. The problem is, the most popular consoles always get the most shovelware. The developers just want a quick buck and tend to only focus on one platform. More and more shovelware is being developed for consoles since fewer people are buying PC games.

Combine this with the fact that the Wii should be very easy to develope for. A quick port of a PS2 or abandoned gamecube game, throw in some waggle controls and "BAM! there it is."

mohomeboy
01-09-2010, 11:18 AM
This reminds me of the ps2 days, when ps2 was just full of crap and had only a few decent every hundred or so. I guess this means that wii is doing well then. Might dust mine off, didnt even get a chance to play metroid 3 yet lol

JonathanD
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Looks like Nintendo's decided to crap all over their "seal of quality."

rotflmao as some one who lived through the NES days I can promise you that the seal of quality didn't actually mean anything... I think what it meant was that the game was licensed by Nintendo and it wouldn't kill you to play it.

Well maybe it would kill your inner child but thats tough to sue for.

JonathanD
01-09-2010, 12:14 PM

One thing about all the shovel ware is that once in a blue moon, the planets align and something that was meant to be crappy cheap and suck on accident, turns out to be a fun addicting little game. Either that or the developers actually manage to sneak a good game past management lol

QrafTee
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
rotflmao as some one who lived through the NES days I can promise you that the seal of quality didn't actually mean anything... I think what it meant was that the game was licensed by Nintendo and it wouldn't kill you to play it.

Well maybe it would kill your inner child but thats tough to sue for.Actually the Nintendo Seal of Quality did mean something. Don't believe me? Ask yourself why Atari died and almost took the whole video games industry with it. Want to talk about shovelware? Well there was a lot more of those than "average" titles on consoles before the Famicom.

Signa
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Just watch, next week, Patcher is going to notice that the sky is blue, and that his room gets dark when the lights are turned out.

I really hate to say it, but I think the shovelware on the Wii is far worse than any other system. On the PS1-2, the shovelware at least looked playable in some respect. On the Wii, I doubt that most people would spend more than 5 minutes with the average title on the Wii. It's below shovelware, it's crapware!

Unlike shovelware, where you have to just uncover the dirt to find the gems, Crapware always brings down the quality of the gems buried beneath it. Scrub all you want, that smell isn't leaving even the shiniest of gems.

MadonnaProject
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
This analyst is wrong. Shovelware is better.

JonathanD
01-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Actually the Nintendo Seal of Quality did mean something. Don't believe me? Ask yourself why Atari died and almost took the whole video games industry with it. Want to talk about shovelware? Well there was a lot more of those than "average" titles on consoles before the Famicom.

The Seal of Quality had nothing to do with the games industry crash (if you can call it that) Nintendo did revive the industry a bit, the seal had nothing to do with it. The seal was from the marketing department and they did a great job (seems to have worked....) What Nintendo did was to make innovative games that played well. Third party games which also proudly featured the "Seal of Quality" uuhhh not so much.... Search on youtube for "The Angry Video Game Nerd" formerly known as the "The Angry Nintendo Nerd"

On a side note Nintendo made games for the Atari systems of the day also...

mulekick
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
If people would quit buying the shovelware, then maybe they would quit making it. Besides the bargin bins at the store, I'm still amazed at the amount of Wiiware garbage that's available. The only way to stop all of it, is to not buy it.

msanchez
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
If people would quit buying the shovelware, then maybe they would quit making it. Besides the bargin bins at the store, I'm still amazed at the amount of Wiiware garbage that's available. The only way to stop all of it, is to not buy it.

Good luck with that, I've been saying the same thing about Madden games for time immemorial and as you can guess my please have fallen on deaf ears.

nexistjamais
01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Good luck with that, I've been saying the same thing about Madden games for time immemorial and as you can guess my please have fallen on deaf ears.

so true about Madden, so true. It's like the same game it's been since it was Joe Montana Sports Talk Football.