PDA

View Full Version : Playing from USB - Can I use my iPod?

p3eps
01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
My new black Wii should be with me in the next couple of days. I've got a tutorial to softmod it to play games from USB.
I will buy a USB HD eventually - but I have a spare 30gb iPod lying around.

If I plug the iPod into the back of the Wii and have my games on the iPods root directory - will it play off them?

Cheers...

tech3475
01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
If its FAT32 formatted then to a degree yes.

I know USB loader GX is suppose to have support.

However, any games which are >4GB (e.g. SSBB) wont work because of the limitations in FAT32.

If HFS+ then MAYBE you can resize the partition and format the second as WBFS/FAT32.

If your was >4GB games then reshrink the partition and set it up as a WBFS/NTFS (although I dont know how good it is).

The "Safest" way to format it as WBFS is to use WBFS manager to ensure you dont format the wrong drive.

You can use Gparted on a ubuntu live CD to resize the partition, although I dont know if it supports HFS+.

p3eps
01-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot about the limitations of FAT32 with 4gb files. Refotmatting partitions on the iPod sounds a bit complicated for something I was just going to use to test the Wii was working properly.

I'll see if I can get a game thats less than 4gb to try out to make sure it all works. I can just put it on a 4gb memory stick. Once I know it works I'll get myself a USB enclosure for the 80gb 2.5" disk I have spare.

Thanks again...

zero80472
01-11-2010, 08:52 AM
you can use WBFS manager to format it to wbfs and you can take files bigger than 4 gig
also if your using the ipod it will be kinda Slow (could not use mine so got a 1 tb HD )

p3eps
01-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Another question...

I have an iso of a game which is about 4.3gb - but according to the gbawiki it should only be about 3gb. Is there a way of compressing them or something to make them smaller?

tech3475
01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Another question...

I have an iso of a game which is about 4.3gb - but according to the gbawiki it should only be about 3gb. Is there a way of compressing them or something to make them smaller?

By default, USB loader GX does this. If it doesnt then I would leave it since it could be GBAwiki which is wrong or that your copy has data e.g. language.