PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: Wii has a very long life ahead of it

Zeus
01-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Nintendo's charismatic figure Reggie Fils-Aime has expressed that the Wii has a very long life ahead of it. This comes despite reports doubting the longevity of the unique Wii console.

<blockquote>In an interview with Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Fils-Aime said: "We are confident the Wii home entertainment console has a very long life in front of it."

Nintendo is hoping upcoming releases of big first-party titles Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Zelda, along with its upcoming Wii Vitality Sensor, will keep the console going throughout 2010 and beyond.

Fils-Aime's remarks come one week after comments from Nintendo President Saturo Iwata said he believes the Wii is back to a healthy state, citing a "combination of factors" as to how the once sick console has regained its momentum.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://thewiire.com/blog/post/6172-nintendo-wii-has-a-qvery-long-lifeq-ahead-of-it" target="_blank">TheWiire.com</a>

JonathanD
01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Hmmmm maybe, as long as people keep buying games and it keeps on selling then Nintendo really has no reason to replace it. Sort of a "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

I do think when more people start getting HD TV's Nintendo may start feeling more of a need for some sort of Wii 2 or HD Wii or what ever its going to be.

I also think more HD TV's are going to start selling faster since the prices have fallen so far.

maxRus
01-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Hmmmm maybe, as long as people keep buying games and it keeps on selling then Nintendo really has no reason to replace it. Sort of a "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

I do think when more people start getting HD TV's Nintendo may start feeling more of a need for some sort of Wii 2 or HD Wii or what ever its going to be.

I also think more HD TV's are going to start selling faster since the prices have fallen so far.

but the only thing is once they do release the Wii 2, We will be 3D gaming on xbox 360/720 and Ps3/Ps3.5's . the next big thing is going to Be stereoscopic 3D!

cafevincent
01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Wii is dead. The only thing keeping the sales up right now is New Super Mario which is a system seller. Wii looks like crap on a HDTV so I sold it. If Nintendo doesn't announce a new system at E3 I'll be pissed. Playing a SD console in 2010 is soo ridiculous.

DEDDOA
01-14-2010, 02:04 AM
I think the Wii has plenty of scope for improvement, but unfortunately most
developers aren't likely to push it beyond PS2 level as that would require them to develop 3 versions of a game for home consoles.

Given how good some Wii games have turned out graphically, it's clear it can handle near PS3/360 level gfx at 480p (I was extremely impressed by deadspace even if it was on rails) but there needs to be incentive to do that. Unfortunately I can see it going down as being the biggest underperforming console in history as well as the one that introduc ed motion control.

rddr
01-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Nintendo, 3 Games and a new attachment? Yea.... a long life indeed.

redsquirrell
01-14-2010, 05:59 AM
There are still games this year i am looking forward to but these are 1st party.

Ive recently started using wiifit which is surprisingly OK.

I am looking forward to Galaxy 2 (probably my most wanted this year) Zelda and Metroid.

Azariel
01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Wii is dead. The only thing keeping the sales up right now is New Super Mario which is a system seller. Wii looks like crap on a HDTV so I sold it. If Nintendo doesn't announce a new system at E3 I'll be pissed. Playing a SD console in 2010 is soo ridiculous.

You are looking with "hardcore gamer" eyes.. but as a system, Wii is selling pretty good, they got the accessory market, and not aiming for the Niche gaming hardcore market ( where the piracy lives..) is a good strategy to keep selling shovelware and things like Wii fit... They print Money...literally.

danight
01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Is 1 person even in the least, excited about the release of the Vitality Sensor? This things screams gimmick.

ThreeDog
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Looking forward to both Metroid and Zelda but need to see Pilotwings, F-Zero and a decent classic style Star Fox/Star Wing.

redsquirrell
01-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Looking forward to both Metroid and Zelda but need to see Pilotwings, F-Zero and a decent classic style Star Fox/Star Wing.

me too, but im kinda hoping that they keep these for a true HD Wii. I think id rather them keep Zelda too for that.

billysastard
01-15-2010, 09:50 AM

strange how sd is soooo out of date that almost every household has more sd tv's than hdtvs if they have hdtv's at all.

i like to think we are fairly up to date in that we have 4 hdtv's 2 edtv;s but a quick count shows 7 sdtv's and guess which ones are the most commonly connected to the consoles?

hd is for next generations consoles, this time round it was nothing more than a gimmick (that is rarely used anyway), although of course next time instead of underpowered hd consoles that struggle to do full hd we will get underpowered 3d consoles that struggle to do 3d or a new nintendo with hd and enough power to make games in hd.

grapeape
01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
If the past is any indication this probably means an HD version of the Wii is just around the corner...this is the same kind of statement made a few months before the DS was announced.