PDA

View Full Version : PS3 drive swap ?!!??!?! is it possible ?

DAVE11674
01-20-2010, 05:04 AM
Hi people

got a ps3 in of my mates
now instead of a new replacement laser he opted for a swap over drive.
but upon inserting hte new drive nothing is reading still

now this replacement drive is either naffed up also or the drives aint interchangeable

does any1 know this ?

as im sure i swapped out a drive before

thanks

dave

Nocuddle
01-20-2010, 05:38 AM
s0ny aint dumb u kno, wont work if u swap it. :p

DAVE11674
01-20-2010, 06:11 AM
funny ive swapped drives out before
no problems
the thing is you need same drive from saem model ps3

this is where i think its not working

dave

ufc-pride
01-20-2010, 06:35 AM
first off different models use different lasers.
second, the PCB board must be the one that came with the console originally, these are paired to the motherboard.

20GB, 40GB (phase 1 model) and 60GB models all originally came with a 1-diode laser. Part No: KES-400A

40gb (phase 2 model) and 80GB PS3s come with the 2-diode laser, Part No: KES-410ACA

i suggest you first ensure that the lasers are the same, and make sure that you have swaped the PCB board over to match the original machine.

To be honest, you may as well swap the laser, it only take 2 minutes. If its still not working it can be 1 of only 2 problems.

1. Faulty replacement laser
2. Blown chip on PCB board (bad news unless you can get your hands on a chip and re-solder it. These can be remapped, but i doubt you have the tools to do it. sell it and get another one,

or call Sony and get it replaced, it your outta warranty, pay one of the crooks on eBay to swap it for you, they just lie to Sony anyway. Its Sony still swapping the console, they just phone up on your behalf and give a false serial number!!

GeToChKn
03-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Sometimes you have to swap the DVD controller board, sometimes you don't. I've done lots of new drive installs and especially on the older 80GB's, you have to swap the controller board as there is some sort of drive-key marriage thing going on. I did one the other day, drive doesn't nothing without the matching controller board, swap it and ran great.

melterx12
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
the drive itself is swappable assuming its the same model. but the drive board that connects to the mainboard is not.

invalidcookie
04-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Since PS3 Drives aren't Flashable in windows. is it possible to Flash the Drive with the Correct Key Within Linux via PS3 install? of course it is, but has anyone tried to write a proggy for it.