PDA

View Full Version : Third party developers call out Nintendo over lack of online support

Zeus
01-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Reports via Cnet are indicating that third party developers are complaning about Nintendo's lack of online presence. Essentially, the Wii's online multiplayer options are not up to scratch at a time where it is paramount that they are.

<blockquote>It should come as no surprise to Nintendo that third-party developers are beginning to complain about the company's online presence (or lack thereof). In fact, they're calling the company out. In a time when a game's online component is nearly as important as its single-player campaign, the online offering for the Wii is simply not up to par.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10437338-1.html" target="_blank">Cnet</a>

CharmedonWB
01-22-2010, 10:28 PM
The Wii needs better 3rd party support; then we can talk about an online presence.

EL_CAD
01-23-2010, 02:20 AM
FTA: "Aside from Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros., online gameplay on the Wii is almost nonexistent."

We only have about 20 Wii games but half have online play. MoH2, BWii, Mario Kart, Brawl, Dr. Mario, Animal Crossing, Onslaught, Blastworks and Mario Strikers, plus Tiger Woods 10.

List of Wii Wi-Fi Connection games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_Wi-Fi_Connection_games)

Captain N1
01-23-2010, 03:10 AM
no one is stoping 3rd aprties form making online games. Nintendo has a network.

Battlefield
01-23-2010, 04:36 AM
They should blame the devs instead for not making online support.

msanchez
01-23-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't really care for the wii or the ds, but what the hell is going on lately? seems devs have it out against nintendo for some reason. Nobody is forcing them to make games on the wii and nintendo is doing quite well, lack of online support and all, so devs are the ones that need to work around that.

nexistjamais
01-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Well said, msanchez.

I don't get how these third party game makers forgot that the console company took all the risk in making a console for them to sell software on. Their arrogance and sense of entitlement is laughable. I don't feel sorry for them one bit. They made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

EL_CAD
01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't really care for the wii or the ds, but what the hell is going on lately? seems devs have it out against nintendo for some reason. Nobody is forcing them to make games on the wii and nintendo is doing quite well, lack of online support and all, so devs are the ones that need to work around that.
It's a love/hate deal with devs and Nintendo. Nintendo offers them the biggest pool of customers, but at the same time Nintendo is their biggest rival.

msanchez
01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Well I'm one of the people that think people should just learn to deal with the ps3, or stop making games for it, so it's not surprising what my stand is on this issue.

I wonder what would happen if all these devs that are complaining would stop making games, would nintendo hear them out due to the negative impact the loss of them and their games would have?, or would nintendo's own franchises be enough to maintain things as they are now? Truth be told, as many of us are aware 97% of the junk of the wii and ds are thanks to 3rd parties, so who knows maybe the wii's library would look better if some stopped making games.

faceless
01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
it all boils down to this.

devs want to work on "powerful" hardware (i say this in quotes because most devs only want to work on CONSOLE hardware, despite PC hardware being more powerful) but they also want to make money. while 360 was the big cash cow, in less than a year, the wii has eclipsed it not only i marketshare, but in software sales. the wiiis also cheaper to develop for so devs want to make quick 'cash-in' games on wii then work on 'real' games on PS3/360, except their cash-in games aren't selling and the crazy budgets on PS3/360 games have put 11k people out of work because so many HD games are underperforming or bombing. then they look at Nintendo and see Mario Kart Wii still selling for $50 years later while their games are already down to $15 bargain bin prices or worse. so they make excuses and talk about cutting support while continuing to make crappy cash-in games that don't sell and HD games that put them dangerously close to unemployment if they don't sell.

basically, they mad.

msanchez
01-23-2010, 11:51 PM

devs want to work on "powerful" hardware (i say this in quotes because most devs only want to work on CONSOLE hardware, despite PC hardware being more powerful) but they also want to make money. while 360 was the big cash cow, in less than a year, the wii has eclipsed it not only i marketshare, but in software sales. the wiiis also cheaper to develop for so devs want to make quick 'cash-in' games on wii then work on 'real' games on PS3/360, except their cash-in games aren't selling and the crazy budgets on PS3/360 games have put 11k people out of work because so many HD games are underperforming or bombing. then they look at Nintendo and see Mario Kart Wii still selling for $50 years later while their games are already down to $15 bargain bin prices or worse. so they make excuses and talk about cutting support while continuing to make crappy cash-in games that don't sell and HD games that put them dangerously close to unemployment if they don't sell.

basically, they mad.

But I'm sure you agree that this is not nintendo's problem. It's not their fault that they understand their customers better than anybody else. Simply put ninty has that privileged, they can release any game and it will sell; devs try to take advantage of this, but that doesn't work.

Really I have no idea why ninty is special, they make just as many crappy games as any good dev does, just about the only thing I can credit them with is being experimental-ly with their games. They are the least afraid to go out there and do something weird with their games.

EL_CAD
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM

basically, they mad.

Devs don't seem to have issues with DS being less powerful than the PSP.
They didn't seem to mind the PS2 being less powerful than the Xbox or Gamecube.

You're right about the devs delivering games on the cheap for the Wii, and saving their AAA studios for the other platforms.

If EA had made Mario Kart Wii then we would already have had 2 additional sequels by now, plus the online support would have already ended.