PDA

View Full Version : Wii could have had 360's Natal, but declined due to cost

Zeus
01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
According to reports, technology similar to the upcoming Project Natal was offered to Nintendo way back in 2007, but they declined it due to the high cost. No surprises there then.

<blockquote>While the Wii remote is pretty impressive, it’s nothing like the upcoming PS3 motion controller and Xbox 360’s Project Natal. The sad point is that the Project Natal technology was apparently offered to Satoru Iwata – Nintendo boss – back at the end of 2007.

CVG are reporting that Satoru Iwata had a chance to make something from the tech that became Project Natal, but his reason for turning it down was that he believed the cost to mass-market would be too much.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/01/26/nintendo-wii-almost-had-xbox-360s-project-natal-technology/" target="_blank">Product-Reviews</a>

crono
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Well this article is a little bit wrong.
For natal to work you need some power, some power a wii cannot supply.
Therefore Nintendo would have to develop a whole new wii, just when it was mass produced at factory. Sure you can say it was about the money, but if they did, they would have been bankrupt.
Simple said, a wii can’t run natal, afcourse they could try whit wii2

iLLNESS
01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Well this article is a little bit wrong.
For natal to work you need some power, some power a wii cannot supply.
Therefore Nintendo would have to develop a whole new wii, just when it was mass produced at factory. Sure you can say it was about the money, but if they did, they would have been bankrupt.
Simple said, a wii can’t run natal, afcourse they could try whit wii2

wii could have ran natal just fine. 360 natal as we originally knew it ran solely from the natal addon itself. only recently did m$ say that they were going to release natal using the 360 to compute it...
that is why natal would have been expensive for the wii because the wii doesn't have the power to handle natal in its original form.

m$ is doing this to keep natal costs down.

tech3475
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Nintendo didnt need to pay for Natal, back then the sales were still high.

Now though Nintendo may have reconsidered or kept it for the Wii2.

twoboys
01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
wii could have ran natal just fine. 360 natal as we originally knew it ran solely from the natal addon itself. only recently did m$ say that they were going to release natal using the 360 to compute it...
that is why natal would have been expensive for the wii because the wii doesn't have the power to handle natal in its original form.

m$ is doing this to keep natal costs down.

Yes. Thats exactly what I reckon as well. Good post iLLNESS, well spotted.

Natal was still way too expensive, thats why it's been watered down (chip removed / some usage transferred to 360) by M$.

Whatever way you look at it, Natal will not be launched as it was origionally designed. M$ have had to make it affordable (unlike their other add-ons (looking at YOU wifi adaptors and HDD's)) so compromises have had to be made.

I only hope it lives up to the hype. I have said many times on this forum that both Natal and the $ony Arc are already old news.

The Wii has already been there, done that and got the T-Shirt.

My views have not changed. IMHO I think neither will come to much in the long term.

msanchez
01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
So? it could have been a bad move, just as much as it could have been a good move. Maybe he was right, who's to say that the biggest initial appeal the wii had was the price, and that people only fell in love with the wiimote after they had bought it, and after that hype took over. Had they had a heftier price tag maybe people wouldn't have given it a chance at all.

JonathanD
01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Its also kind of unneeded when you already have the Wiimote?

I still think Natal is going to flop pretty hard...

If Natal does take off.... I would be very very surprised.

NSTar
01-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Microsoft should wait for 720 to release natal with the system.

msanchez
01-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Microsoft should wait for 720 to release natal with the system.

Probably best bet, but then again they might be gauging the acceptance it will receive. All things considered, it was pretty ballsy of ninty to put the fate of the wii on a new controller scheme like that. With a normal controller ninty would have been sure to do ok at least, but with the wiimote it was either make or break. By releasing it now, ms can see if people are embracing it, or not, and this way they might save themselves the trouble on the 720 if they see it's not worth it.

crono
01-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Wii is hacked, natal is almost there.
Try to make natal working on wii when playing a game using most of the wii resources.
Good luck,let me know when you get it done.

Neglefarot
01-27-2010, 10:00 AM
It doesnt have even a DVD (movies) player...

It doesnt have even HD...

And now it turns out that everything that the others have, "we could if we want, but we wont"

grapeape
01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Natal wouldn't have fit in with Nintendo's marketing most of all, its launch price would have had to have been at least equal to that of the 360's launch price and the lack of need for a controller per person would have killed the accessories money bag.

One thing people are overlooking is that these are referring to 3DV's camera, which has gone through alot of changes since the company was acquired by MS.