PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Wii!!!

DnZ
01-29-2010, 02:16 AM
And I'm happy as can be! hahaha
So I bought the Wii used off of someone. It's already modded with a Wiikey I believe but I'm not sure if it's the 1st one or the 2nd one.
I have a LU3081 with ver. 4.1U on it.
I was wondering how I can tell what version Wiikey I have without opening it and also if I would be able to update my Wii's FW without it messing up and bricking on me?

I was on another site asking the same question and had all these views for the past few days and no one had replied to it. I'm hoping the people here are more helpful as I come to this site everyday to peep the front page :)

Also are there any cool things I should try to get for my Wii? It came with backups, 2 controllers and Zapper. Not a bad buy for $150 if I say so myself :p

So any help would be great!

ThreeDog
01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
So your friend sold you backups and you're admitting this? ;)

DnZ
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
No, it was a modded Wii. It was just a bonus hahaha
But I figured out how to update my Wiikey, Now I'm just wondering what other cool things I could get for the homebrew channel that I can run on this thing.

Any help there?

tech3475
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
1) work out the sought of stuff you want
2) check out wiibrew.org and dl.qj.net

DnZ
01-31-2010, 06:35 AM
1) work out the sought of stuff you want
2) check out wiibrew.org and dl.qj.net

Thanks for a point in the right direction Tech!
I goto QJ a lot also and look at the Wii stuff from time to time before I got mine so I was also there.

What else can be done with me Wii and what are some of the pro's and con's of using a chip or a SD/USB Drive or Hard Drive to load my back-ups?

And I also found out there was a Internet channel for the Wii :p I had to DL it from the shop but I did not know I could do all that :D

tech3475
01-31-2010, 08:50 AM
To update the shop channel without updating the system menu, use WiiSCU from wiibrew.

Modchip:
pro: independent of system software
cons: New BCA protection in newer games requires updates, system menu 4.2 blocks region free, hardmod can cause issue, newer wiis cant read burnt discs

Softloader:
pro: use real discs, no modchip
cons: Can be "dodgier" to load, only uses "-Rs", newer wiis cant read discs

HDD:
pros: Faster loading times, no discs
cons: multi-dols (where a new dol is loaded) can be a pain such as MPT, but solutions have been found.

This isnt a definitive list, but this is all I can think off. Personally, I say go for the softloader first then go on to the modchip since a) its less risky and b) its free.

However, I suggest installing bootmii as boot2 first and doing a backup.

DnZ
02-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Wish I knew that about info on the modchip before I updated the Wii Shop Channel...There goes playing Imports and being on 4.2U....:(
Is there a way to downgrade back to 4.1U? Or is that why you suggested BootMii since it can back all of that up if what I read was correct?

And as far as running back-ups from a SD/USB/HDD, I'm lost as far as you talking about the dol's and like MHT having to boot more than one. Aren't those the executable file type for the Wii and why does that pose a prob when playing a game?

I'll DL BootMii right now and do a back-up since I failed to find that out before I had to update the Shop Channel and now stuck with 4.2U...
Is there any other things I should get also?
Only thing have is the homebrew channel aside from my Wiikey.

Sorry if I ask a bunch of questions. Just trying to figure things out ya know? But the help is much appreciated!

Thanks again Tech!

tech3475
02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Easiest fix for the region is to install startpatch or preloader.

.DOL is an executable used by the wii like exe to windows. Multi-dols are a problem for usb loader, but I just googled around. I believe you just load the main executable and change the settings/save file, then reload and select the game you want.

to install bootmii/homebrew channel, just use bannerbomb v2.

DnZ
02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Ok, Installed BootMii using the HackMii installer. Now when I installed BootMii and it brought me back to the install uninstall I'm a lil confused. In the BootMii menu of the HAckMii insaller it says:

Install BootMii as Boot2

Install BootMii as IOS
Uninstall BootMii as IOS.

Now I installed BootMii as boot2 but after it didn't have the option to uninstall like it does for the IOS...

Does that mean I have a newer Wii and it can only install as IOS?
Or does it just do that and I'm just tripping myself out over it? lol

Also I'm DLing Starpatch right now. I'll install that once I know whats up with the whole BootMii thing as I don't want to just rush into things anymore like when I updated to 4.2U :::palmtoface::: Where can I look to see if it's already installed on my Wii for it? Would it just be on my SD or HBC?

tech3475
02-01-2010, 10:07 AM
boot2 is a version which goes in the bootloader for the wii (the second stage bootloader).

IOS is a version which is designed for newer wiis to execute bootmii homebrew and do backups (and restores if it isnt to that degree bricked).

The only way to really tell if boot2 is installed is to simply try turning the wii off and on again with the SD card in the system. It should automatically pop up.

Even if bootmii as boot 2 is only installed. I suggest doing the IOS version and doing a backup. Only install preloader instead of startpatch since you can access the HBC and therefore bootmii if a semi-brick occurs (depending on how bad it is).

DnZ
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
OH!!!
Ok I get it.
I have it installed now as both Boot2 and IOS. It loads up after a restart.
I'm unable to back it up since I don't have a 1gig SD so thats something I'm going to have to try and pick up this week.

With that said, I'll get the preloader now also and then install.

EDIT: I can't quite figure out how to install it...
I placed it onto my SD in the Apps folder and when I went to the HBC it didn't show up...
I then tried to place it on the root of the SD and the BootMii loaded instead.
Do I need to take BootMii off of my SD from the Apps folder and the root of the SD card?
Damn I'm such a noob...

DnZ
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
So I got around to getting Priiloader to run from the HBC and now when I goto install I get this:

Priiloader system menu ticket not found.
Trying to get original ticket...

Unauthorized to get ticket. is ios36 Trucha signed?, aborting mission...

So what is it that I am missing?

DnZ
02-15-2010, 06:36 PM
A week later and nothing?
Wack...

tech3475
02-16-2010, 04:21 AM
Try reinstalling IOS 36 using the oldest version available (v1042), this can be found on xbins and just install using wad manager.

DnZ
02-20-2010, 05:12 AM
I went to xbins and they didn't have anything for the Wii there.
Is there another place I can find that?

tech3475
02-20-2010, 05:30 AM
I went to xbins and they didn't have anything for the Wii there.
Is there another place I can find that?

the IOS files are there, go to: /WII/Nintendo-IOS/

Also, another solution is to use DOP-IOS to reinstall IOS 36 and patch it.

DnZ
02-21-2010, 11:03 PM
I guess I must of went to a totally different site than what your talking about...
I'll just try to get DOP-IOS instead and try to install and patch it from there.
Hopefully I can figure that out at least.

Also...does Dop-IOS auto patch? Or is there another step I'll need to do in order to patch it?

db2431
03-19-2010, 12:41 PM
welcome to the world of wii :)

semicharmless
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Modchip:
pro: independent of system software
cons: New BCA protection in newer games requires updates, system menu 4.2 blocks region free, hardmod can cause issue, newer wiis cant read burnt discs

Softloader:
pro: use real discs, no modchip
cons: Can be "dodgier" to load, only uses "-Rs", newer wiis cant read discs

I've been browsing the various posts in this forum, as I'm just doing a little research before I purchase a new Wii. It's been a few months since the above was posted and I'm wondering if a workaround for reading burnt discs has been found on even the newest Wiis? Thanks in advance.

tech3475
05-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I've been browsing the various posts in this forum, as I'm just doing a little research before I purchase a new Wii. It's been a few months since the above was posted and I'm wondering if a workaround for reading burnt discs has been found on even the newest Wiis? Thanks in advance.

All new drives cant read burnt discs so a USB HDD/SD card is the only option, there is also another device which emulates the drive properly, but this is more expensive (around 70+) and only possibly fixes multi-dols and allows for GC backups from USB.

semicharmless
05-14-2010, 03:24 PM
All new drives cant read burnt discs so a USB HDD/SD card is the only option, there is also another device which emulates the drive properly, but this is more expensive (around 70+) and only possibly fixes multi-dols and allows for GC backups from USB.

Thanks for the heads up. Very much appreciated.

billysastard
05-14-2010, 03:34 PM
if you want to know what you can get on the wii homebrew side take a look at the wii homebrew wiki page.

tech3475
05-14-2010, 03:47 PM
try also dl.qj.net