PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: 3D gaming won't catch on because people will look silly with glasses

Zeus
01-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Nintendo's Satoru Iwata has placed major doubt as to whether 3D Gaming will catch on. And the reason for this is because he thinks that wearing special glasses will make people look silly in front of others.

<blockquote>Iwata also doesn't expect 3D video-gaming to catch on, although he welcomed 3D movies at theaters like James Cameron's hit "Avatar."

"I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?" he said at a Tokyo hotel.</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nintendo-chief-unimpressed-apf-3699157755.html?x=0" target="_Blank">Yahoo</a>

mattias800
01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
This anti-3D trend is stupid.

This is one of the few things I agree with Sony on:
1. Stereoscoping imaging
2. Headtracking
(3. The new controller which I have very high hopes for)

1+2=Most immersive game experience so far.
(1+2+3=My Xbox and Wii will be dust collectors)

Both are part of the SDK. All developers can easily add it to their games via updates. Each are awesome in their own, and headtracking should have no problem working when the Arc is released, since everyone (hopefully) will have an Eyetoy (or whatever is released by then). Same goes for Xbox, they could implement it as well.

If they added eye tracking, they could also have depth of field based on what the player is looking at, but now I'm dreaming :)

mallinersha
01-29-2010, 07:48 AM
And people don't look silly holding Wii things?

http://img.youtube.com/vi/wUCFqzAUWqo/0.jpg

ThreeDog
01-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Judging by the feedback of Nvidia's tech and the 3D screenings of avatar i don't think it will take off due to the medical symptoms it produces some of them within two hours.

Dry eyes
Disorientation
Headaches
Insomnia

Then the effects of use with prescribed glasses.

Distortion
Image ghosting
Poor viewing angle
Reflections
Unable to use at all

Lets not forget the extra costs.

New TV
Eyepiece/headset per person

3D will have its market but there will be a huge segment to hold this back, This technology will never achieve the adoption rate of a standard HDTV at least until its standard with every HDTV and have no choice but to have a new TV with this feature.

wigsplitta
01-29-2010, 08:51 AM
This anti-3D trend is stupid.

This is one of the few things I agree with Sony on:
1. Stereoscoping imaging
2. Headtracking
(3. The new controller which I have very high hopes for)

1+2=Most immersive game experience so far.
(1+2+3=My Xbox and Wii will be dust collectors)

Both are part of the SDK. All developers can easily add it to their games via updates. Each are awesome in their own, and headtracking should have no problem working when the Arc is released, since everyone (hopefully) will have an Eyetoy (or whatever is released by then). Same goes for Xbox, they could implement it as well.

If they added eye tracking, they could also have depth of field based on what the player is looking at, but now I'm dreaming :)

Well, first you need a 3d compatible set then you need $200.00 glasses to wear. Logic tells me that this is a major fail for the industry. Can you imagine the cost to the average family? 3D is cool but the world and technology just aren't ready. Oh, and don't forget that 3D has been created without the need for glasses and sets are expected to roll out in Japan very soon. Don't invest your money in dead end products.

ok123
01-29-2010, 09:27 AM
"I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home. How is that going to look to other people?"
I think that it is no problem that he (Satoru Iwata) has doubts that people wont be wearing glasses to play games at home, but who are these "other people" that he mentions that you should be worried about on how you look? If you play games in your own home, i guess that only your own family lives there (or maybe with friends if you live at a university dorm or similar). Does anyone here care if your parents, wife or kids says that you look funny using those 3d glasses (if they think that those 3d glasses looks funny)? I mean care in the way that if someone in your family or friends thinks that 3d glasses looks funny, would anyone here stop using the 3d glasses if you enjoy playing games in 3d just because someone in your family and/or friends think that the 3d glasses looks funny?

crypysmoker
01-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Judging by the feedback of Nvidia's tech and the 3D screenings of avatar i don't think it will take off due to the medical symptoms it produces some of them within two hours.

Dry eyes
Disorientation
Headaches
Insomnia

Then the effects of use with prescribed glasses.

Distortion
Image ghosting
Poor viewing angle
Reflections
Unable to use at all

Lets not forget the extra costs.

New TV
Eyepiece/headset per person

3D will have its market but there will be a huge segment to hold this back, This technology will never achieve the adoption rate of a standard HDTV at least until its standard with every HDTV and have no choice but to have a new TV with this feature.

Dont forget epilepsy. Within 20 min of me wearing the glasses I could still see some of the flashing color transitions and it slowly gave me a headache and made me start getting that icky sick feeling before a seizure. So needless to say that didnt last long and I was in the car for a while lol.

I hope its just a gimmick/trend. Back in the day one of the first things to have 3-d was Disney land/world (whichever is here in orlando lol) I saw Captain EO back in 80...something and even then it was blah. Now it just costs 2-3 times as much to make one properly. You cant just use the red/blue 3d, you have to use more and different cameras, more digital effects to cover up the crappiness..

Id prefer watching my movie without something on my face.

Now video games in 3d is a whole different story lol I would deal with the icky sickness for some BAttlefield BAd company 3D

Iwata
01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
And wiimote waggling and number humping (via Wii Fit Plus) obviously make people look suave and educated.

ThreeDog
01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Dont forget epilepsy. Within 20 min of me wearing the glasses I could still see some of the flashing color transitions and it slowly gave me a headache and made me start getting that icky sick feeling before a seizure. So needless to say that didnt last long and I was in the car for a while lol.
Sorry to hear that, still if you need a day off work you have your method.

I hope its just a gimmick/trend. Back in the day one of the first things to have 3-d was Disney land/world (whichever is here in orlando lol) I saw Captain EO back in 80...something and even then it was blah. Now it just costs 2-3 times as much to make one properly. You cant just use the red/blue 3d, you have to use more and different cameras, more digital effects to cover up the crappiness..

Id rather they just delay 3D technology and perform the research/development needed to solve these problems. Im not against 3D (maybe spending more money) but i am against rushing it to market. Adjustments need to be made for those people with symptoms, it won't solve it for everyone but in its current state all they've created is the virtual boy in colour :D

kcvfr400
01-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Well I am all for 3d as it seems the support and technolgoy is finally right. Avatar has shown that its popular if done correctly and disney has been pushing this alot in their films so it feels less of a gimmmick this time. I did get a headache once in the cinema watching in 3d but realised that was from the glare of the spotlights on the ceiling of the cinema that are obvious when its darkened and nothing to do with the actual screen or glasses. The light was refracting through the top of the glasses and creating an issue for me. This should be no problem in the house as no spotlights and overall light level will be higher than a cinema so less chances of glare.

The look of the glasses is not an issue as its the privacy of your own home and they can change the frame shapes to suit the buyer just like sunglasses and perscription glasses now.

faceless
01-29-2010, 11:42 AM
hold up, from what i understand, it was a mistranslation, and what he meant was how THE SCREEN would look to other people who weren't playing (since they wouldn't have the 3D glasses on)

crono
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Just get a screen whit 3d support build in,no glasses needed for those screen's.

lostn
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I think people look silly waggling a remote and playing with many of the peripherals the Wii uses. That vitality censor... don't even get me started on that one.

mauler
01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
and people don't look silly holding wii things?

http://img.youtube.com/vi/wucfqzauwqo/0.jpg

bazinga!!!!

msanchez
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Iwata is talking about looking silly while gaming? what a damn hypocrite!

JonathanD
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
And people don't look silly holding Wii things?

http://img.youtube.com/vi/wUCFqzAUWqo/0.jpg

LOL

I like my Wii but I do agree that some games do make you look like a dork and I was thinking the same thing.

Tyrael
01-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Iwata should know that Japanese people will look silly with bad English learning. just look at the latest Nintendo conferences at E3.

wigsplitta
02-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Iwata should know that Japanese people will look silly with bad English learning. just look at the latest Nintendo conferences at E3.

I suppose you could learn Japanese and speak it perfectly. They should be lazy insulting bastards and just hire translators. Although it doesn't sound pleasing it's certainly not silly. You have to take things at face value.