PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Five reasons why the Wii sucks

Zeus
01-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Ben Shell of Bright Hub has a neat little editorial on exactly why the Wii 'sucks'. His argument is broken down into the following: 5) Poor motion controls, 4) Bad graphics, 3) Un-interesting games, 2) Lack of online play and 1) Focus on casual gaming.

So what do you think about this? Are these reasons valid?

osnoozeo
01-29-2010, 07:50 AM
I agree 110%!!!!! theres only a handfull of good games for wii, the rest are complete utter garbage.

crypysmoker
01-29-2010, 07:55 AM
you honestly need 5 things?
I didnt read it so heres mine

1. No HD in HD generation
2. MAde for families, Use by drunken 30 year olds to pass the time (lol oops just me)

3. Developers make so many random garbage games that the whole selection is watered down by 8 versions of the same thing.

4. No dvd player? come on...

5. Its a Wii

Things I like-

1 House of the dead
Thats it lol

WhyKlef
01-29-2010, 08:05 AM
2010 and counting... This is getting old if you ask me. Yeah, I got a Wii, yeah I don't play much (except for SSBB).

5> More like poor skills because I can believe in the first year that it wasn't necessarily great but latest games for a few years now have been very responsive.

4> Take SSBB, NMH, SMG, Z:TTP, M:DB and so many other games and put them in 1080p in Dolphin emu and tell me it's not beautiful. My point is yeah, Wii is not HD-ready but the game are still beautiful, just not at the right resolution to showcase it as much a gamer would.

3>... I'm wasting my time aren't I?

2> That, I can agree that Wii most certainly isn't the best online platform but it does offer a selection, just not as efficient as what you see on PS3/360/PC.

1> Casual doesn't mean easy, no-fun, soulless games. Casual is a different type and it's working for a lot of people, just not most "veterans" (me included). But there are more "conventional" titles on the Wii that are worth the shot and that is why, I'm happy I have one. Don't mix "casual" and "different controls" because the Wiimote is just as efficient as any good ol' controller for me.

If there was a Wii-HD, I'd be all over it and 3rd party would stop whining as they would have the hardware to port all those "hardcore" games people cry about.

CharmedonWB
01-29-2010, 08:27 AM
My idea of an interesting game is playing the same shooter over and over and over because that is all that is released on the xbox 360....the ps3 just started to get some games and those are not all that interesting either....and before you start talking about all the crap the wii has to offer...let's talk about all the b/s that you can find on the ps2....and then we are still whining about HD? Since when did HD make a game better? Poor motion controls?? Is this idiot kidding me? Btw, if HD was that important, Nintendo would not be in the lead. I have played RE5 on a non HD computer and on a 50" HD television on the PS3 and playing it on the PS3 was no more fun than playing it on the computer. The image was crisper and perhaps a bit more detail but beyond that, there was no extra fun factor for it being in HD...those marketing gurus at Sony sure did their job well in making you feel like you are missing out if you are not playing in HD. Those people should get a damn raise!

EL_CAD
01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
1. Most reliable hardware. PS3 is more than 3x as likely to break. And the 360 is almost 10x as likely to fail.
2. The only console that doesn't try be a PC or DVD player.
3. The console with the widest variety of game types.
4. The only console with real homebrew.
5. Games on other consoles cost 20% more.

faceless
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
so basically, the author is saying "the Wii sucks because it's not for me"

i understand, that's how i feel about being a vegan.

BeNPDA
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
This is the opinion of ONE person. I don't care how many people look up to him or whatever, it simply is subjective. If you don't like the console, great, but you don't need to ram your opinions down other people's throats. It's getting ridiculous. And, I think someone should point out to him that it's the fastest selling console of the current generation, so, it can't suck that badly eh?

(P.S. I know you aren't supposed to use a conjunction at the beginning of a sentence)

Jester2000
01-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Its been taken a bit out of context. He did also write 5 reasons why the wii rocks.

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/wii/articles/62592.aspx

doxology
01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Ben Shell of Bright Hub has a neat little editorial on exactly why the Wii 'sucks'. His argument is broken down into the following: 5) Poor motion controls, 4) Bad graphics, 3) Un-interesting games, 2) Lack of online play and 1) Focus on casual gaming.

So what do you think about this? Are these reasons valid?

motion controls on wii are good. not perfect but good. they will be superior to all motion controls this gen for the single reason of the wiimote being included with the wii. the PS3 and 360 solutions aren't ever going to be a huge success when they aren't included with all consoles. Including the fact that all games won't have to be made to use motion controls, the main reason the wii and wiimote work.

the graphics are fine. not hd but while we are in an hd transition it is far from being complete. most users that have a wii still use an old tv. and most homes with hdtv's only have a single hdtv.

there are good games on wii just like every other console. There are just a lot more awful games on wii.

there is online play on wii its just not implemented the best. a few devs have made workarounds that work ok.

just because there is a lot of shovelware on wii doesn't mean its focus is solely on casual games. there is no denying there are boat loads of casual games on wii but a lot of that isn't nintendo's fault. its the third parties trying to cash in on the wii's success.

now don't get me wrong. the wii has a lot of issues. Right now I think the PS3 is the best console. The PS3 is now even getting ports of the rpg's that the 360 got early on as exclusives. The wii though isn't as bad as people make it seem. There are great games on all the consoles.

Xenogears V
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree 110%!!!!! theres only a handfull of good games for wii, the rest are complete utter garbage.

I think like you. After the novelty about moti control, after rest only a annoyance.

Jounin
02-02-2010, 05:01 AM
partizan beograd...gravediggers belgrade....

Tyrael
02-02-2010, 08:01 AM
^ i agree with Jounin.

xcxv2
02-24-2010, 07:02 AM
If you can't find plenty of enjoyment on the Wii, let alone any current gen system, you are either a lying fanboy or a blind retard

chrisprocter01
02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
1. Most reliable hardware. PS3 is more than 3x as likely to break. And the 360 is almost 10x as likely to fail.
2. The only console that doesn't try be a PC or DVD player.
3. The console with the widest variety of game types.
4. The only console with real homebrew.
5. Games on other consoles cost 20% more.

I agree with all of that but point 5 has an exception
2nd hand ps3 and 360 games (unless they are COD) go down in price by about 50% in the first 3 months then after about another 50% every further 3 months

however Nintendo games in general hold their value and hardly go down in price at all

and i have to ask, what other consoles does he compare the poor motion controls to? the ps3? which is as responsive as a sleeping drunk? or the 360's motion contro...... oh yeah none (yet)

EL_CAD
02-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I agree with all of that but point 5 has an exception
2nd hand ps3 and 360 games (unless they are COD) go down in price by about 50% in the first 3 months then after about another 50% every further 3 months

however Nintendo games in general hold their value and hardly go down in price at all

Yes, Nintendo games do hold their prices for a long time. That's the man reason I don't have The New Super Mario Bros Wii, Punch Out!! or Fire Emblem yet. The big difference is that Nintendo's Wii games continue to sell long after other games are in the clearance bin.