PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft: If a Wii game is targeted at right audience, it will be a success

Zeus
02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Ubisoft has offered some thoughts on why Just Dance for the Wii has been a surprise and huge sucess. Essentially, they believe having the 'right' product and the right 'audience' are crucial for third party success. So let's see some more hits Ubi!

<blockquote>“I think it is indicative of the current market and how many actual Wii owners there are in the UK that are looking for a game that is pure and simple fun like Just Dance,” says Ubisoft brand manager Rachael Grant.

“If the game is the right game and is targeted at the right audience then there is no reason why third-party publishers can’t become successful on Wii. Just Dance has clearly offered something unique to casual gamers and is not trying to be something it isn’t – it does what it says on the tin and consumers have embraced its simplicity and concept.”

Nintendo’s senior product manager Robert Lowe adds: “It is not hard to have successful titles on Wii and DS if the right commitment is made behind the right product. There is a tendency to assume that third-party games don’t perform on Wii or DS – this is simply not true.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.mcvuk.com/features/635/Dancing-wiis-troubles-away" target="_Blank">MCVUK</a>

tech3475
02-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I think they should also look at what Nintendo have done, offering games which both casual and hardcore gamers can enjoy.

ThreeDog
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Finally! Someone gets it. Design a well aimed product for the audience, Ensure the quality is there and stand behind it.

sped
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I predict Just Dance will make it to the xbox natal..........Nice easy port!! lol

CharmedonWB
02-02-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry but doesn't that stand true with any product? A lot of people talk about how great the 360 is and how appealing it is and yet it does not sell very well in Japan. It is all about target audience, regardless of the console. The headline should instead read, good Wii games as long as they are not patronizing (a la RE Chronicles), will be successful.

grapeape
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
He seems awfully optimisic concidering their best selling game so far placed at 29 out of the top 30 games on the Wii and sold 1.6 million. Out of the top 20, 15 are Nintendo first party titles, 1 has Mario, 2 are guitar hero games and the last 2 are Lego Star Wars and Carnival Games. I think people are misunderstanding the "right audience" part...he is specifially saying you are not the right audience. I think the key words there were "pure and simple", The success of Just Dance, My Fitness Coach and Raving Rabbids coupled with what will surely be pathetic sales of No More Heroes 2 and Red Steel 2 will assure them that their core market is Moms and 12 year old girls. I dont think they "get it" at all, but I dont think they care...money talks and apparently simple sells.

ThreeDog
02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
A poor selling Wii game can sell 20,000-100,000 during that time, I think they get it if the sales are sustained. Even so 1.6 million is a lot to ask for on the Wii.

patstevens
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
i just wish the game actually "worked" in the sense it could score you if you are dancing correctly vs how it is now its so random, it just looks for if the wii mote is moving on beat vs any correlation to how close you are to following the onscreen avatar. speaking of that why are the graphics so fugly? all the animated dancers reek of old ugly drawing style from a budget title vs a game with artist from a big company that know how to draw something appealing. at least the motion capture is super smooth.
I love the concept of the game but also wish it had a better song selection vs how all over the place it is. all my friends were like "WTF? " when scrolling through majority of the songs.
should have been more modern popular stuff vs odd choices like mc hammer(only people close to their 30's above would know them).

although one thing it seem to do right is that the gay guys in our group consistently scored A LOT better than the straight guys on songs like womanizer/hotNCold/etc

A project Natal version would perfect for this time of game. I hope ubisoft makes one, chooses better songs and offers DLC for it.

iLLNESS
02-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry but doesn't that stand true with any product? A lot of people talk about how great the 360 is and how appealing it is and yet it does not sell very well in Japan. It is all about target audience, regardless of the console. The headline should instead read, good Wii games as long as they are not patronizing (a la RE Chronicles), will be successful.

target audience doesnt have much to do with poor sales in japan. japan has great rpgs on 360 and it still doesnt sell much. the audience was targetted pretty damned well there.

its well known the japanese are the most racist people out there when it comes to electronics. they will almost always buy a japanese made product over a foreign product. something americans and canadians need to do more in this day and age.