PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo to reveal new Wii at GDC?

Zeus
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
According to a gaming site, a major publisher has informed them that there is talk that Nintendo will announce a new platform at GDC. Moreover, some devs have supposedly begun work on it already. Could this be the Wii 2 that we broke the news about last year? Perhaps.

<blockquote>Earlier this morning we were contacted by an employee at a major international publisher with the following information:

"Just heard a rumour that you may be interested in: Nintendo are going to announce a new platform at GDC. Some devs have already started work on it."

Our contact had no further information about whether the new platform was a handheld, home console or something else. The source also stated that he was sure of the platform's existence, but that the GDC launch was a less certain possibility.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/devs_already_working_on_new_nintendo_platform.html" target="_Blank">VG</a>

Battlefield
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Its most likely not Wii 2...Too early..

ok123
02-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree, i think that a new handheld is more likely (if the rumor is true) :) I think that the Wii is still selling very well, so i think that Nintendo will wait some more before they announce their next console.

DanASBO
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
They could seriously rip into Arc/Natal's hype if true.

STKD
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
"Broke the news of last year"? Really?:rolleyes:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA!
Come on now... Vague speculation on something that is eventually bound to happen (even though the article doesn't suggest anything of the sort) is "breaking the news" of something now?

Okay. I'm now officially going to break the news that SOMEDAY there will be... a full successor to the Nintendo DS. AND a new Xbox.

Have at it. I'll give you that one for nothing EXCLUSIVELY. You can even refer to me as "a source at a well known games publisher" since I am one technically.

morcar
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
they need to aim for the hardcore gamers and not casual like the DS did maybe this will be the handheld only for hardcore gamers and will take what little PSP owners sony has.

Battlefield
02-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree, i think that a new handheld is more likely (if the rumor is true) :) I think that the Wii is still selling very well, so i think that Nintendo will wait some more before they announce their next console.

I think MS will be the first to announce a new console, and i doubt they will anytime soon. There is much life left on 360 and PS3, and hardware for new consoles isnt THAT much better yet.. not enough for a console upgrade There have to be som big leap to previous console for people to buy it.
I wouldnt buy a PS4 or new Xbox now, because i think current gen still works good enough for along time. They just need proper games, and not too many resirculated. ;)

As for Wii.. It works in its own way, and N can still milk money of it. When sales go down enough, they most likely will release new Wii in different colors first. ;) Red, Pink etc...

grapeape
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
they need to aim for the hardcore gamers and not casual like the DS did maybe this will be the handheld only for hardcore gamers and will take what little PSP owners sony has.

Why on earth would they bother with that? They are inerested in making money the casual market is many many times bigger, if anything I'd expect something with less input options and motion sensing.

If I had to guess though, I would suspect their reveal wont be an actual new generation of console but an updated one, and HD Wii could internally be essentially the same with some minor tweaks and hdmi out..it gives them a new market while maintaining at least for a while backwards compatability so those that have a wii already dont feel abandoned. Nintendo has this game down pat, look at their handheld strategy..apply it to consoles and you create what is basically a continual upgrade cycle.

stanleyopar2000
02-03-2010, 08:02 PM
It's probably the DSi LL (DSi XL)...

the Wii is getting too much profit for Nintendo, for Nintendo to invest thousands of dollars into a new Wii

jbondsr
02-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Maybe a Wii capable of proper online play, and not crappy friend codes?

ok123
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I think MS will be the first to announce a new console, and i doubt they will anytime soon. There is much life left on 360 and PS3, and hardware for new consoles isnt THAT much better yet.. not enough for a console upgrade There have to be som big leap to previous console for people to buy it.
I wouldnt buy a PS4 or new Xbox now, because i think current gen still works good enough for along time. They just need proper games, and not too many resirculated. ;)
Ye, i agree, i also think that MS might be the first one to announce a new console :) MS was first out with the Xbox 360 in this console generation, so maybe they will be first out in the next console generation as well.

Yep, i also think that both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 has much life left as you say :)

That is true, i also think we need some more time to see a bigger leap in the consoles. I think that maybe we will see some new console announcement next year, and that the next console will be out around Christmas in 2011, or sometime in 2012.

I am also satisfied with this generation consoles, so i dont think that i need a new console right now, i agree :)

As for Wii.. It works in its own way, and N can still milk money of it. When sales go down enough, they most likely will release new Wii in different colors first. ;) Red, Pink etc...
Indeed, officially the Wii has only seen 1 color so far (except white of course, which is the standard Wii console color) and that is black so i also think that Nintendo will release more colored Wii consoles in the future, especially if the Wii sales goes down. Maybe Nintendo will make a new bundle (Wii console + New Super Mario Bros Wii and/or Wii Sports Resort with Motion+) as well to try to increase the Wii sales? But we will see what happends :)

Xenogears V
02-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Isn't for sure Wii 2 (even if I think don't miss a lot...). With a global success of Wii, a rumor about new Nintendo console been leaked...

nexistjamais
02-05-2010, 05:16 PM

um, what?

Outside of the obvious question about "what is 'hardcore?'," why would they do this? The DS is a great platform that has games for everyone. There are games that appeal to what you'd call "hardcore" as well as games for anyone who wants entertainment. Nintendo seems to be doing a very good job selling products to a lot of different customers by having something for everyone. That makes sense. I don't get your statement at all.