PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto confirms Nintendo is working on new hardware

Zeus
02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that Nintendo are indeed working on a new hardware release, but this specific hardware is currently a mystery. He revealed this at the Japan Media Arts Festival.

<blockquote>During this year's Annual Japan Media Arts Festival, beloved game designer Shigeru Miyamoto talked up the projects he's currently working on: the next Legend of Zelda for the Wii, some kind of Motion-Plus-enabled game, and Nintendo's next hardware release (via Andriasang).</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177860" target="_blank">1UP</a>

JonathanD
02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I am sure they always are working on something or other, that said I believe they are close to releasing something to succeed the DS.

It's time for something newer thats portable, too many advances have been made and the prices are probably right for a huge upgrade in graphics.

Now the question is what will its capabilities be and what form will it take...

My guess for performance is maybe something slightly better then the PSP. Nintendo usually does not have the most powerful hardware.

What form will Nintendo choose.... Thats insanely tough to answer, they seem to have a thing for clam shell designs in the portables with the GBA SP and the DS and the DS Lite and the DSi. Can't say I disagree with the design it protects the screen and controls very nicely so long as they do not skimp on the hinges...

A better question would be what kind of controls will it have?

IJTF_Cinder
02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
A better question would be what kind of controls will it have?

If I have to blow into a microphone one more time!!!...I'm sending a pipe bomb to Nintendo HQ :D

jbondsr
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
My hope is that Nintendo will focus on a decent network infrastructure.

They've been lagging way behind in mutliplayer connectivity and other internet features.

I understand that they want to focus on "casual" gaming, and it has worked for them on the DS and Wii, but I don't think they can ignore other ventures any longer, especially with devices like the iPhone cutting into the casual gaming market, and other home consoles adding their own take on the whole motion control schema.

The internet is part of our lifestyle, Nintendo. Get with it.

BranFlakes
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
If Nintendo wasnt such a lame company overall then I might have been excited when reading this. They think a "vitality sensor" is whats cool.

DEDDOA
02-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Hopefully it's not a wii or DS replacement for any time soon, even if they are 100% compatible with current systems, having to buy a newconsole to paly newer games this soon would do noone any favours. At best if it is a new console, i'd just hope for a wii with HDMI that can up res to 720/1080p, but is still just a wii.

[ACF]Umax
02-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Hopefully it's not a wii or DS replacement for any time soon, even if they are 100% compatible with current systems, having to buy a newconsole to paly newer games this soon would do noone any favours. At best if it is a new console, i'd just hope for a wii with HDMI that can up res to 720/1080p, but is still just a wii.

The current Wii games would look awful in 720p / 1080p, though. So newer games are kind of necessary to use HD.

Xanxion
02-09-2010, 05:29 AM
it will probably be some new peripheral, the wii cash cow isn't dead yet.

DEDDOA
02-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Umax;1205638']The current Wii games would look awful in 720p / 1080p, though. So newer games are kind of necessary to use HD.

I agree, but thats the only HD that woyld work at the mo for the Wii, new games needing a new hardware would be a bad move as it would alienate the public. They may get away with it in japan, god kows why but even a change of colour prompts a major sales boost over there, but elsewhere I can see it only making people less likley to buy nintendo stuff in the future.

ThreeDog
02-09-2010, 07:11 AM
I can see it only making people less likley to buy nintendo stuff in the future.
The Wii has that effect in general.. The Wii and surrounding services have put me off Nintendo consoles for life.

NSTar
02-09-2010, 09:18 AM
the nintendo wiigina... now it's personalized and networked however you like it ;)

nah, I think the big news is, the wii will have another color. They will add a pikachu sticker and call it innovative. Iwata will show talet that he can brush his hair with the new wii and bat his eyes at myamoto at the same time.

it's gonna be a reggie - fail and overhype
it's gonna be a iwata - fail and overhype

cafevincent
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
If a Wii 2 would only add HD support it would be like ‘tendo crapping on your face. Obviously they will add new hardware because let’s face it, you can get a 10x more powerful GPU than the ones in PS3/360 for maybe 10 dollars. The GPUs in PS3/360 only have around 48-96 stream processors and the cheapest crap GPUs today already count them in the hundreds. So graphics wise the new tendo will blow away the current competition. The real question you should be asking is if it will have support for 3D televisions that will become popular fast. That plus what type of controls will it have, as JonathanD pointed out.

And yes, the platform will definitely be a home console for the following reasons:

-Milking the casual audience requires shorter console lifecycle because they lose interest faster.

-The modern consumer is expecting HD support, especially the ‘hardcore’ gamers often known also as technology addicts.

-Nintendo loves profit and marketshare so Wii sales/interest/profit going down and 360, PS3 catching up has lead to revamping of their release schedule for a new system.

-The release of PS3/360 motion controls practically means Nintendo needs a reboot too to keep their ‘most innovative’ image alive for mass audience.

-Let’s face it, their fun games would be even cooler with fabulous graphics. Wii graphics look more and more outdated and they know it.

So there you go. To summarize: Profits rule and the Wii is simply milked out. I bet the new Zelda and Pikmin 3 projects have been moved to the new platform last year already. Don’t be shocked, it happens in every generation.

Yet another interesting thing will be what name they pick. They have never used a “2″ in a name just to ride the success of a previous console. They will probably not go for Super either. Then again the Wii and DS/DSi are the ones named by Iwata so we can expect more in the lines of these modern, short, apple style names. The looks of the console will most likely resemble the current Wii to spark the connection in the consumer’s mind. And obviously it will be at least twice the size of the Wii due to modern technology inside.

I wish for the controller to be a wavebird split into two parts, you know, a fusion of wavebird and wiimote/nunchuck without connecting cable, with snes style a,b,x,y and motion+ built in to both parts and integrated vitality sensor. I don't think it's time for brainwave controls yet and I believe full body controls will only work for a few games that don't need much precision. Natal is only a great replacement for the balance board.

Xenogears V
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
My hope is that Nintendo will focus on a decent network infrastructure.

He said Hardware...

If Nintendo wasnt such a lame company overall then I might have been excited when reading this. They think a "vitality sensor" is whats cool.

Uhm..can be an idea...

I have seen the most le più disperate accessory...Ok Balance Board, or wheel, or racket, but after seeing a cyclette...I thinked...Wow, Nintendo has really "bottomed". What other bullsh*t have in mind this crazy man?.

[ACF]Umax
02-10-2010, 06:08 AM
I agree, but thats the only HD that woyld work at the mo for the Wii, new games needing a new hardware would be a bad move as it would alienate the public. They may get away with it in japan, god kows why but even a change of colour prompts a major sales boost over there, but elsewhere I can see it only making people less likley to buy nintendo stuff in the future.

The thing is that right now, I don't know if Nintendo would really alienate the public. They have already released four DS models, some of which are able to play newer games and the public's response was very positive.
Another thing is that with the success of the DS and Wii Nintendo can put a lot of money in the new project. The Wii must have been very cheap to produce because it is not all that different from a gamecube. Yet Nintendo has only made one pricecut in its lifecicle.

Even if it is not as successful as the current wii, it'll still attract enough consumers. In Japan and other regions.

mabhz
03-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Great news!!!