PDA

View Full Version : Netflix VP: HD service isn't great, Wii owners aren't missing out

Zeus
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
The Netflix VP has revealed that the HD experience at Netflix Instant Watching isn't particularly great. Therefore the Wii folks aren't going to miss all that much.

<blockquote>"So, the HD experience at Netflix Instant Watching isn't that overwhelming. It's a little bit underwhelming. So the Wii folks aren't going to miss that much."

In short, Swasey is admitting that the HD offerings on PS3 and Xbox 360 suck. While that might make Wii owners feel better, how exactly is that going to motivate subscribers on PS3 and Xbox 360?</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://play.tm/news/28954/netflix-vp-admits-hd-service-lame/" target="_blank">Play.tm</a>

EL_CAD
02-09-2010, 11:21 AM
The quality of Netflix on my 360 is usually pretty good, but almost never as good as DVD much less HD quality. I only have 900K DSL though.

el username
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
So they are admitting their product sucks and that no one will miss it. That's a brilliant marketing ploy, tell people that.

danight
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
i love netflix... but its best for catalog titles. If your looking for new releases on stream... its probably not for you.
The quality of netflix is fine and it will probably be fine on wii as well.

Hevyduty
02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
From what I've heard, there's not much HD content available for streaming from Netflix. Mostly just TV shows.

So yeah, while I think the Netflix VP could've worded it better, it's not exactly a secret. The beauty of Netflix is the convenience of streaming and the cheap monthly cost. If you're looking for HD streaming, Netflix probably isn't for you.

In other words, Wii owners won't be missing out on much, which anyone who's used Netflix on the PS3 and 360 already knows. I know people who use Netflix all the time on the PS3 and they really like it. Yeah, they'd like more HD content, but between the low monthly cost and quality of the streaming, they're very satisfied with the service.

danight
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Wii owners won't be missing out on much

until later this year when netflix goes 1080p 5.1 surround streaming.

EL_CAD
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
until later this year when netflix goes 1080p 5.1 surround streaming.

Netflix is planning on bringing 5.1 audio to streaming this year, but there are no plans for 1080p streaming.

I have no plans on needing 5.1 audio, since some of my audio equipment is older than any users here, including me. Tubes sound better, so I'll just stick to my 2.1 setup until something better comes along, which is highly unlikely.

DugFreez
02-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Netflix is planning on bringing 5.1 audio to streaming this year, but there are no plans for 1080p streaming.

I have no plans on needing 5.1 audio, since some of my audio equipment is older than any users here, including me. Tubes sound better, so I'll just stick to my 2.1 setup until something better comes along, which is highly unlikely.

Yeah, right. I bet you love the "warmer" sound of vinyl over digital also. Sound better or not...you can't hear the sounds as the "director intended" with only 2 speakers.

2.1 might be OK for music but for modern movies, TV and games it's just not the way it was designed to be heard. I really don't think you will find many people to agree that a movie sounds better with analog stereo over a digital 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio setup....or even an analog Pro-Logic II setup for that matter.

Get with the times gramps. ;-)

DanASBO
02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, right. I bet you love the "warmer" sound of vinyl over digital also. Sound better or not...you can't hear the sounds as the "director intended" with only 2 speakers.

2.1 might be OK for music but for modern movies, TV and games it's just not the way it was designed to be heard. I really don't think you will find many people to agree that a movie sounds better with analog stereo over a digital 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio setup....or even an analog Pro-Logic II setup for that matter.

I'm with gramps on this one, love my old 2.1 set-up, have had several 5.1's and 7.1's but always go back to the 2.1's
. Must be our old ears, and lol I do prefer vinyl.

EL_CAD
02-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Almost everything sounds better than mp3s, but CDs are good for me most of the time. Though for portability, mp3s work very well for most music.

Surround sound is a gimmick. I never felt that I was missing out watching a movie at home because it did not sound like the movie theater. Now the screen size at home is noticeably smaller than the ones in the theaters, but not many directors have balked at home video releases.

I'm with gramps on this one, love my old 2.1 set-up, have had several 5.1's and 7.1's but always go back to the 2.1's
. Must be our old ears, and lol I do prefer vinyl.

I haven't played an LP in a least 3 years, even though the record player is still hooked up, but the records got packed up. Records are great but they take up a lot of more and kids can easily scratch them.
I still play cassettes sometimes, but that's because of my boombox addiction. I did packed away the home cassette deck a few years back when I needed more room for game consoles.