PDA

View Full Version : Activision posts loss, blames it on Wii and Guitar Hero

Zeus
02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Activision has posted a fourth quarter LOSS. However, they seem to have pin-pointed the problem - flagging sales of Guitar Hero and titles on the Wii platform.

<blockquote>
Activision Blizzard Inc., the world’s largest video-game maker, posted a fourth-quarter loss because of flagging sales of “Guitar Hero” and Wii titles.

The shares rose after the Santa Monica, California-based company set a $1 billion stock buyback and its first dividend. Excluding charges, results beat analysts’ estimates.</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-10/activision-posts-loss-on-guitar-hero-sets-buyback-dividend.html" target="_Blank">BusinessWeek</a>

CharmedonWB
02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
You make sh*tty games Activision, don't blame the Wii.

pwwpww
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
wow, that's quite a surprise coming from the company behind world of warcraft

grapeape
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Well there are several factors at work...first most people are growing weary of GH, i mean seriously you play one you have played them all. Second their wii efforts have been lackluster and its already hard to sell anything on the Wii that isnt first party. Lastly, most people probably dont know this but WoW hasnt grown in over 2 years...it spiked a bit with the Litch King release last year but then actually dropped by nearly half a million since, bringing it back to just about about the same level as it was during their yearly report in 2008.

http://kotaku.com/5469063/world-of-warcraft-no-growth-since-2008

IJTF_Cinder
02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
No, blame it on the fact that Diablo 3 is STILL not out and I haven't seen anything new in like...FOREVER! Diablo 3...the next Duke Nukem Forever :D

Oh wait, blame it on the fact that besides Blizzard's stuff (See; previous), you have NOTHING but Guitar Hero, which has been outpaced by Rock Band to offer. Publishing MW2 must not have gotten you much of the pie huh?

Brandogg
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Blame it on the retarded Tony Hawk game. How can you blame Wii when it's the leading console for every Guitar Hero game?

EL_CAD
02-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Blame it on the retarded Tony Hawk game. How can you blame Wii when it's the leading console for every Guitar Hero game?

BINGO! Plus sales of DJ Hero did not look to hot either, it only slightly sold more than Ride.

And if it wasn't for the Wii then almost no one would have bought their lame licensed games like Lego: Indy 2, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Chaotic: Shadow Warriors, Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5, iCarly, Madagascar Karts, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs and Barbie and the Three Musketeers.

If they really want Wii owners to buy a lot of games then they should make something decent, not a 2 years to late remix of CoD4.

DEDDOA
02-11-2010, 03:30 AM
I think people get a bit tired of GH and it's quaterly releases, I love the games, but I personally went down the Rockband route, less updates and more DLC, with less rip off pricing when it comes to merging tracks from various versions. If they didn't milk it so much and just released yearly updates, with all the content they try to push out quarterly, I expect more people would be inclined to buy them.

kcvfr400
02-11-2010, 03:44 AM
I would also look th dj hero and tony hawks ride as the problem for recent losses especially as they seemed to be banking on those titles. I dont think guitar hero can be blamed as it seems to have a decent following and apart from the odd 1 too many it still holds its own and for me exceeds in quality compared to rock bands offering and you get the odd free track and free migration of songs from at least one of the games into another.

The wow effect was going to run out at some point and the film/tv licenses that prop up the sales in the past maybe have finally been seen through as they clearly didn't spend that much on the barbie game as my girls finished it in a few hrs and madagascar karts was very bare too.

DanASBO
02-11-2010, 06:36 AM
11 Million plus subscribe to WoW @ Approx £9/$15 per month, that's a single game earning $150-200 mill PER MONTH... and they're posting a loss? They have nobody but themselves to blame.

EDIT: Wait a minute... "Activision-Blizzard beat city expectations (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37517/2009-the-most-profitable-year-in-Activision-history) last night, reporting $4.28 billion GAAP net revenues for the 2009 calendar" "In fact the firm reckons 2009 was the most profitable year in the history of the company."

:rolleyes:

wrathchild
02-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Wait a minute, piracy wasn't the blame? Your games sucks so bad that even the pirates don't want them?:D

CharmedonWB
02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
wow, that's quite a surprise coming from the company behind world of warcraft

World of Warcraft is not on the Wii and secondly it was Blizzard behind Warcraft not Activision. Activision just happened to acquire Blizzard. It isn't the Blizzard division blaming the Wii.

pwwpww
02-11-2010, 06:15 PM
World of Warcraft is not on the Wii and secondly it was Blizzard behind Warcraft not Activision. Activision just happened to acquire Blizzard. It isn't the Blizzard division blaming the Wii.

First of all, I did notice that the Blizzard division is not blaming the Wii, however nor is Activision. If you have actually read the post instead of relying on Zeus' headline then you probably would have realised that it was Activision Blizzard who blamed Wii & Guitar Hero in this situation.
Secondly, because of the Activision - Blizzard merger, I think it's safe to say that World of Warcraft is equally Blizzard's - and - Activision Blizzard's franchise.

grapeape
02-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Well they took care of the Guitar Hero problem today by laying off over half the staff at Neversoft, then took care of the crap movie tie-in titles by cutting half of Radical's staff and completely shutting down Luxoflux. Oddly enough in the same day they annoucned a new Tony Hawk game using the board again as well as a new deal with Fox for more movie tie-ins...sometimes it seems like EA and Activision just traded names.

EL_CAD
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I would also look th dj hero and tony hawks ride as the problem for recent losses especially as they seemed to be banking on those titles. I dont think guitar hero can be blamed as it seems to have a decent following and apart from the odd 1 too many it still holds its own and for me exceeds in quality compared to rock bands offering and you get the odd free track and free migration of songs from at least one of the games into another.

The latest Guitar Hero, Van Halen hasn't even sold 100K across 4 platforms.

Captain N1
02-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Here we go again more companies blaming the wii for their lack of development effort.

CharmedonWB
02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
First of all, I did notice that the Blizzard division is not blaming the Wii, however nor is Activision. If you have actually read the post instead of relying on Zeus' headline then you probably would have realised that it was Activision Blizzard who blamed Wii & Guitar Hero in this situation.
Secondly, because of the Activision - Blizzard merger, I think it's safe to say that World of Warcraft is equally Blizzard's - and - Activision Blizzard's franchise.

what you don't seem to understand is that the merger between activision and blizzard is much like the one between disney and marvel. they may be under one banner held by vivendi but are still two entities. the flagging sales on the wii are all titles that were under the activision banner...these were titles held by activision long before the merger of blizzard and activision. blizzard has no wii games so therefore the blame is from the activision titles. it would be like blaming disney for slowing sales in the uncanny x-men. disney has nothing to do wtih x-men sales just like blizzard has nothing to do with call of duty and the other games that activision has developed for the wii.

EL_CAD
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Here we go again more companies blaming the wii for their lack of development effort.

More like they put little effort into making a good Wii game and are surprised when most people did not buy it.

Sure there are good Wii games that most Wii owners did not buy, but nothing Activision has released in the last year was good. OK the Guitar Hero games were off OK quality, but the Wii's numbers are in line with other consoles.

grapeape
02-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Well it got worse...after the closing and then the two rounds of layoffs...Activision decided to close down Red Octane completely...