PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: We used forensics to track down pirate

Zeus
02-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Nintendo has revealed that as soon as it found out that the New Super Mario Bros. game was uploaded online, it hired a forensic to find the root of the upload. They claim that the illegal upload cost them big time and hurt the industry globally.

<blockquote>
"It wasn't just an Australian issue, it was a global issue. There was thousands and thousands of downloads, at a major cost to us and the industry really," Nintendo Australia managing director Rose Lappin said.

"Once it's on the Internet it's anyone's really."

Nintendo said when it discovered the game was online, it used computer forensics experts to identify the individual responsible.

"Nintendo will pursue those who attempt to jeopardise our industry by using all means available to it under the law," the company said in the statement.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100209/tc_afp/technologyaustraliapiracygamesnintendo" target="_blank">Yahoo</A>

elko
02-11-2010, 06:27 AM
In the Early 80th to 90th Crackers always got Games earlier to crack from "special" suppliers ... it was an non written Law: Don't release it, before the game will be Retail.

So, pay for the damage.

technolust
02-11-2010, 06:53 AM
if that kid in AUS had bothered to leak the game via the "proper channels" chances are he wouldnt have been caught. but he wanted to brag about it along with posting his picture and sales recipt.

the world of warez has changed so much since the old days, now its just a "free for all" where any jo with a computer can upload stuff and demand .iso loaders when ever a console is cracked.

wrathchild
02-11-2010, 07:43 AM
I got news for you Nintendo. All your crappy games are online. They have been online, and they always will be online. If you want people to buy them then make them good and they might.

panyan1991
02-11-2010, 07:49 AM
the world of warez has changed so much since the old days, now its just a "free for all" where any jo with a computer can upload stuff

but, as weve seen, they get caught becuase these joes think they have a ticket to fame with these uploads!

jbondsr
02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I'd be interested to know what kind of "forensics" they used.

I don't know how backing up games work, but I wonder if some identifying code of the console you used to backup the game is left in the image.
If you registered that console online, then they could track it?

Did he just upload it to some website from his home PC?
(Which would be ridiculously easy to track)

If I ever did anything like upload a game, I would not use any internet connection I owned, or one I even lived close to. (I'd at least try to mask the IP address) I wouldn't brag about it, and I wouldn't upload it to some easily accessible public area on the net.

Why do you feel the need to brag about something you ripped? Do you need to be acknowleged that badly? What ever happened to doing something just for the sake of doing it, or a least doing something for others without needing to be thanked?

Tyrael
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
If you want people to buy them then make them gooddumbest. statement. ever?

tezzgod74
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Who cares... Noob got pwned by Nintendo, yet Nintendo Fails to notice the other 10,000 games that were already online. Hence--> FACEPALM

msanchez
02-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I know all 3 would do the same, but I really do dislike how nintendo brags about this kind of thing. OK so the guy is an idiot apparently, and maybe he got what he deserved, not my place to judge, but nintendo can shove their masked threat up their a$$. Anybody who is part of the Scene (if we can call it that these days) knows enough about things to know how to properly release these things.

Not to worry nintendo, I won't be uploading/downloading any of your games, since currently I rather get a hot needle jammed into my eye over buying a wii console... that might change, but as things are going with wii games, I doubt it.

grubbymitts
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
In the Early 80th to 90th Crackers always got Games earlier to crack from "special" suppliers ... it was an non written Law: Don't release it, before the game will be Retail.

So, pay for the damage.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few pre-retail games released back then:

Elite 2/Amiga (Fairlight months before release)
Pinball Dreams/Amiga (Fairlight weeks before release)
Robocop 3/Amiga (Crystal weeks before release)

So, your unwritten law was ignored back then too.

There was another unwritten law that you didn't crack games that were created by sceners. Fairlight ignored that one when they released Pinball Dreams that was created by The Silents.

But the rule that does still apply (supposedly) and is still on most nfos these days is: If a game is worth playing, then it's worth buying.

grapeape
02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I know all 3 would do the same, but I really do dislike how nintendo brags about this kind of thing. OK so the guy is an idiot apparently, and maybe he got what he deserved, not my place to judge, but nintendo can shove their masked threat up their a$$. Anybody who is part of the Scene (if we can call it that these days) knows enough about things to know how to properly release these things.

Not to worry nintendo, I won't be uploading/downloading any of your games, since currently I rather get a hot needle jammed into my eye over buying a wii console... that might change, but as things are going with wii games, I doubt it.

Actually after looking at what happened...he likely got no real punishment at all only threat of one...if you look at the actual reports of what happened the 1.5 million was presented as a "settlement" not a court decision. My guess is that Nintendo threated him with a lawsuit...realized they werent going to collect a nickel and offered to "pardon" him in exchange for becoming their poster child for what happens when you pirate. So far its working...its been on every network tv channel I have seen and the internet is abuzz about how "harsh" it was.

msanchez
02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Actually after looking at what happened...he likely got no real punishment at all only threat of one...if you look at the actual reports of what happened the 1.5 million was presented as a "settlement" not a court decision. My guess is that Nintendo threated him with a lawsuit...realized they werent going to collect a nickel and offered to "pardon" him in exchange for becoming their poster child for what happens when you pirate. So far its working...its been on every network tv channel I have seen and the internet is abuzz about how "harsh" it was.

..... watch yourself grape, you're being counterproductive to ninty's efforts if that's the case. Regardless of what happens it is a biotch to deal with these situations; I close friend once got mixed up in a fed bust once. They were after a guy selling pirated movies inside our job. Funny story too, he had lent me his xbox, and was putting it away in a storage locker.... which belonged to the guy selling the movies.... so..... when he opened the locker feds just pounced on the poor guy; since he didn't snitch on the guy he had to deal with the situation for a few years and it wasn't fun, that much I can assure you.

Xanxion
02-12-2010, 04:39 AM
I put it to you that they merely made a big deal out of it to scare people who may have pirated in the future, but as they said, the 'proper channels' = impossible to track.

stanleyopar2000
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
bullshit!!

they just saw the guy's post at GBATEMP...

now they are taking this too far...

and there was no loss...

X-Play still says New Super Mario Bros Wii is still the top selling game this month STILL.

Retroboy
02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
lol so nintendo blew all this hula for what, this game is utter shyte it has a very short playability (to me) before it gets boring.

I played it once and it to me was worse that the DS version.