PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: Wii will be here for a while, no Wii 2

Zeus
02-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Rob Lowe, a senior product manager at Nintendo has reportedly gone on record to state that there will be no Wii 2. Apparently the Wii is expected to be on the market for quite some time yet.

News Source: <A href="http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.nintendofront.de/news-71-8197.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.shortnews.de/start.cfm%253Fid%253D816025%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff %26sa%3DG&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhjuieW3JVLn7oF2Tef7_zkwazaZcg" target="_blank">Nintendo Front</a>

mattias800
02-16-2010, 08:18 AM
That short article never mentions Wii 2, only that Wii will continue to be on the market?

wrathchild
02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
It's Nintendo so I'm not surprised. As long as there are idiots buying their weak ass system that's all they care about. If they want to continue living in the past then let them.

kirby2000
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Oh My God Rob Lowe Just Looked Right At Me!!!!

cloporte
02-16-2010, 02:13 PM
It's Nintendo so I'm not surprised. As long as there are idiots buying their weak ass system that's all they care about. If they want to continue living in the past then let them.

Man

i'm playing video games since 30 years and believe me or not i'm one

of the dumbasses who bought a wii just because i played wii sports and i

thought it was great :p , even my kids wouldn't turn the wii on anymore

Smart ads and good PR at nintendo so they were able to sell so much of

those shits ...

Maniax
02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Wtf? Rob Lowe is a Hollywood actor.
http://www.google.de/search?q=Rob%20Lowe

grapeape
02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Well remember there was not going to be a GBA 2 either...then we were told the DS was a side project...then when it was successful suddenly it was the successor to the GBA, my guess is the sooner rather than later, they will release a new console..with a different name but Wii compatability claiming its just another "option".

Captain N1
02-16-2010, 10:25 PM
you know they are working on new hardware. Its just not gonna be called the wii 2. If you look at video game history a console is usually out for 5 years then a new console comes out. the exception to this was in the 80's after the video game crash of 1983. in the 1990's to now this pattern seems to hold true.

nexistjamais
02-17-2010, 11:54 PM
you know they are working on new hardware. Its just not gonna be called the wii 2. If you look at video game history a console is usually out for 5 years then a new console comes out. the exception to this was in the 80's after the video game crash of 1983. in the 1990's to now this pattern seems to hold true.

Perhaps now is the time that the "console war" 5-year cycle changes. The fact that the Wii has outsold both the PS3 and X360 combined implies that graphics is no longer the cure for disinterest. In the past, companies would come out with a new console as disinterest started to stifle the old one. In the past, better graphics were enough to beat back disinterest. Many gamers were satisfied with new graphics.

That is no longer true. I got out my Dreamcast the other day and the best games on that system are more fun than most everything on the HD twins. Dreamcast-level graphics are good enough for a fun entertainment experience. I didn't buy the HD twins because the games were just derivative experiences to what could already be found on the previous-gen consoles I owned, the Dreamcast, the Gamecube, and the PS2. Graphics don't provide the factor to fight disinterest for most video game players anymore. You have to look carefully and intentionally to see the differences between the PS2 and PS3, especially if you have an older picture tube TV.

I bought a Wii because it was genuinely something new and different. I've had tons of fun with it. I also like games that focus on gameplay rather than cinematics. As I meet more and more people who hadn't played games since they were kids, but who enjoy Wii titles like Wii Sports Resort, and NSMB Wii (even Madworld if they enjoy the content), I've found that it's because they are the descendants of the old arcade games: easy to pick up and play but hard to master. They're skill-based rather than time or story based. Very different animal.

The market has spoken. The games that focus on story and graphics rather than addictive, pick-up-and-play gameplay just don't have as much appeal to a broad audience.

Knowing this, the Wii's successor won't be a Wii 2. It will be something new that provides a new way to enjoy a pick-up-and-play game experience, just like the DS did over the GBA, and the Wii compared to the Gamecube. Without new pick-up-and-play experiences, gaming will implode. Nintendo gets this and sees what kind of games most people enjoy. The sales of titles like NSMB Wii and NSMB DS really opened their eyes even more to how important arcade-style gameplay games are to a console's success.