PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: Traditional controllers are not dying, people want a range

Zeus
02-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Both Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward and Reggie of Nintendo have rubbished thoughts that the traditional controller is dying. Reggie noted people want a variety of experiences while Bowling commented that controllers are important for accuracy in first person shooter games.

Here's what they both said:

"I think it's going to be awhile, if ever, that we get away from a solid control pad, especially with our game," said Robert Bowling, creative strategist at "Modern Warfare" franchise developer Infinity Ward.

"In a first-person shooter, you have to have that accuracy, so I don't think we will ever move away from having that stick control and using a control pad."

"Consumers want variety, and they want a range of experiences," said Fils-Aime.

News Source: <A href="http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gXVThOuthLkw72OZT_fLtmouk4_g" target="_blank">Press Association</a>

XviD
02-23-2010, 07:20 AM
fully agreed.
imagine playing super smash bros melee with motion controls.. it just wont work.
you can't bypass the law of physics.

ThreeDog
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Next time Nintendo make a decent controller then, the classic controller is rubbish and under supported.

It annoys me that most Wii games are made for the Wiimote, if they had made a good standard controller and told developers they have to support it and then added Wiimote support to every game.. the Wii would be a much better system.

Cue
02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Next time Nintendo make a decent controller then, the classic controller is rubbish and under supported.

It annoys me that most Wii games are made for the Wiimote, if they had made a good standard controller and told developers they have to support it and then added Wiimote support to every game.. the Wii would be a much better system.

GC pads are here and work fine for SSB(B/M) and mariokart, if the developer wants to support it they can. it should be their choice.

cafevincent
02-23-2010, 03:50 PM
"In a first-person shooter, you have to have that accuracy, so I don't think we will ever move away from having that stick control and using a control pad."

Since when is stick control an accurate aiming method? This guy must be on some bad drugs. Mouse is the only thing so far that offers near 100% accuracy and wiimote comes second with 5% accuracy (as proven by the extremely well coded controls in metroid prime 3) and the analog stick has 0,5% accuracy at best. Only thing that I imagine would be even worse for an FPS game is the D-pad.

These values are written as to how well I think these methods reproduce your realtime thoughts of how you think your character should perform. That's why Wii would be the best platform for FPS games (after PC) if it had the proper horsepower. Wiimote simply is the best mouse emulating controller so far, even if it is only one 20th of the accuracy of a good mouse. If the wiimote would react like 500% faster it would have maybe 20% accuracy.

Next generation will be interesting with all the new control systems.

Cue
02-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Since when is stick control an accurate aiming method? This guy must be on some bad drugs. Mouse is the only thing so far that offers near 100% accuracy and wiimote comes second with 5% accuracy (as proven by the extremely well coded controls in metroid prime 3) and the analog stick has 0,5% accuracy at best. Only thing that I imagine would be even worse for an FPS game is the D-pad.

These values are written as to how well I think these methods reproduce your realtime thoughts of how you think your character should perform. That's why Wii would be the best platform for FPS games (after PC) if it had the proper horsepower. Wiimote simply is the best mouse emulating controller so far, even if it is only one 20th of the accuracy of a good mouse. If the wiimote would react like 500% faster it would have maybe 20% accuracy.

Next generation will be interesting with all the new control systems.

Infinity Ward just like to screw PC gamers it's why they said that. i couldn't agree more with your rankings but I'd like to know how you converted accuracy into a percentage. :D

DanASBO
02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I said the same about vinyl, cassettes, CD's etc. We have no idea where technology will take us; if Natal/Arc are successful, I can see 'motion' controls dominating next-gen. Who knows thereafter?

ThreeDog
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
GC pads are here and work fine for SSB(B/M) and mariokart, if the developer wants to support it they can. it should be their choice.

That should of been enforced by Nintendo that's the point, just like Sony told every developer they must support trophies in their games by X date or Microsoft enforcing the hard drive rule for those without hard drives.

Most of the mistakes with the Wii are top level mistakes that could of been resolved by.. well... pretty much anyone on this site and this is one of them.

Xenogears V
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
uhm. I love control pad, maybe because I come from old school. I don't like Wii controller, it isn't simulative, and is really hard to play driving games. I can't play a game without rumble mode in controller.