PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to FORMAT/PARTITION a new EXTERNAL HDD

amber-leaf
03-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Hello everyone

I am getting a bit confused about WBFS, FAT , FAT32, NTFS.

At present all i have is a usb flash drive formatted to WBFS, but next week i will be getting an external HDD
Now seeing as its a 500gb HDD , i might as well create 2 partitions (one for normal windows files)

So to keep it simple, this would be, WBFS and NTFS...

But should i also keep a small FAT or FAT32 partition as well..........

I know you need NTFS for files over 4Gb , but everybody seems to say the best way is a WBFS and a FAT32 partion.
I am new to wii softmodding, can anyone explain what is the best way to format a new External HDD.
I will be mainly just using usb_loader_gx and ripping games to the drive.

so is it an idea to create 3 partitions a small FAT or FAT32 one

db2431
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Keep a small say 20gb for fat32 and format rest ntfs

tech3475
03-19-2010, 02:53 PM
You can create multiple partitions by using windows, linux or OSX.

Then use WBFS manager on the computer to format the WBFS partition and it should work on the Wii.

amber-leaf
03-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Keep a small say 20gb for fat32 and format rest ntfs

Thanks db2431 for replying

You can create multiple partitions by using windows, linux or OSX.

Then use WBFS manager on the computer to format the WBFS partition and it should work on the Wii.

thanks also tech3475.

In the end i downloaded easeus partition manager, created two partitions X and Z and formated the X partition to WBFS and the Z partition to NTFS.

Scary if you have never done it before, but its all working fine now on the Wii....

Thanks again guys for your input...:cool:

JohnnyBoyClub
06-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Hello everyone

I am getting a bit confused about WBFS, FAT , FAT32, NTFS.

At present all i have is a usb flash drive formatted to WBFS, but next week i will be getting an external HDD
Now seeing as its a 500gb HDD , i might as well create 2 partitions (one for normal windows files)

So to keep it simple, this would be, WBFS and NTFS...

But should i also keep a small FAT or FAT32 partition as well..........

I know you need NTFS for files over 4Gb , but everybody seems to say the best way is a WBFS and a FAT32 partion.
I am new to wii softmodding, can anyone explain what is the best way to format a new External HDD.
I will be mainly just using usb_loader_gx and ripping games to the drive.

so is it an idea to create 3 partitions a small FAT or FAT32 one

A good software to change that is PArtition magic or you can change from driver manager .
And format i think the traditional mode is better using the console to format it or if is not working anyhow hiren's cd is better.
Before that you should use backup software to keep your files safe and secured , i recommend you http://www.dmailer.com/dmailer-backup.html is free to use and you can also store the backup on their servers.

tech3475
06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
A good software to change that is PArtition magic or you can change from driver manager .
And format i think the traditional mode is better using the console to format it or if is not working anyhow hiren's cd is better.
Before that you should use backup software to keep your files safe and secured , i recommend you http://www.dmailer.com/dmailer-backup.html is free to use and you can also store the backup on their servers.

1. partition magic doesn't work on newer OSs past XP and hasn't been updated in years.
2. if formatting to WBFS then you need to use WBFS manager, etc. and the windows utility is perfectly fine as long as you're not formatting to FAT32
3. There are alternatives as well such as norton ghost which has a 30 day trial. Although I have repartitioned and resized HDDs over the years and had no issues.