PDA

View Full Version : Donkey Kong Returns Wii

JonathanD
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
This game is a lot of fun and the music is fantastic, the graphics are rendered really well and its a great platformer from Nintendo!!

4 out of 5 Stars!

What keeps it from being 5 out of 5?

Turns out Nintendo decided not to add a classic controller option in the control scheme.... This leads to some semi wonky controls using the Wiimote or Wiimote and Nunchuck combo. They did a nice job and the game is still very playable but its annoying enough to take away a full star!

One has to ask why on the verge of creating perfection they backed off a seemingly obvious enhancement like that?

I hope that some enterprising hacker uses Accio Hacks to release a Classic Controller hack like they did for Metroid or that Nintendo releases a patch!

billysastard
11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
lol really sorry i also reviewed this game, you were far more generous about it than i was but the gist of the reviews are the same, great game badly let down by a dreadful controller system.

i found it almost unplayabe and ruined with the offered control methods.

JonathanD
11-25-2010, 11:30 PM
No problems at all man I would rather see 10 reviews of a game from 10 people then just one lone persons opinion of it.

I posted in your review that there are codes to somewhat fix the controls and it makes the game a LOT better. Still no classic control yet but people are working on it, its a shame you have to hack the game to get decent controls.

Hmmmm moonjump is fun though :)

Link to the codes if anyone is interested.

http://geckocodes.org/index.php?c=SF8E01&page=3

If anyone reads this and needs help getting codes running or anything feel free to post and I will help as much as I can :)

billysastard
11-26-2010, 04:49 AM
If anyone reads this and needs help getting codes running or anything feel free to post and I will help as much as I can :)

*raises hand in air*

(for starters do i need a backup or can i just use my original?, i do have that hacks thing installed through hbc but never got it to work as it never finds any codes, never got downloaded codes working and neogamma only says ocarina codes but i never got them working either)

JonathanD
11-26-2010, 01:09 PM
*raises hand in air*

(for starters do i need a backup or can i just use my original?, i do have that hacks thing installed through hbc but never got it to work as it never finds any codes, never got downloaded codes working and neogamma only says ocarina codes but i never got them working either)

If you have the HBC you should have an SD or SDHC card in your Wii? I will assume you do :)

Download a program for your Wii called Accio Hacks or Homebrew browser so you can download Accio Hacks if you have wireless.

From there use Accio Hacks to download your cheat codes (assuming you have wireless)

Then pick your region of game and the first letter of the game and it should download the code, then go back out in manage codes and at some point it will ask "Create GCT file?" answer yes. from that point Gecko loader or ULoader or what ever loader you want will find those codes on your SD card.

Also yes the cheats work with originals or back ups, and amazingly if you use Gecko to load your Wii Ware it will also load codes for those from Accio Hacks :) Contra Returns is funny with the fast shooting code spread gun is like a death ray that covers 25% of the screen.

I have only used Uloader and Gecko with the Accio Hacks thing but I assume all the loaders look in the same place for the cheat files.

I hope this helps some, hmmm I just woke up so if my post is erratic or confusing lol sorry feel free to ask more :)

billysastard
11-26-2010, 01:17 PM
If you have the HBC you should have an SD or SDHC card in your Wii? I will assume you do :)

Download a program for your Wii called Accio Hacks or Homebrew browser so you can download Accio Hacks if you have wireless.

From there use Accio Hacks to download your cheat codes (assuming you have wireless)

Then pick your region of game and the first letter of the game and it should download the code, then go back out in manage codes and at some point it will ask "Create GCT file?" answer yes. from that point Gecko loader or ULoader or what ever loader you want will find those codes on your SD card.

Also yes the cheats work with originals or back ups, and amazingly if you use Gecko to load your Wii Ware it will also load codes for those from Accio Hacks :) Contra Returns is funny with the fast shooting code spread gun is like a death ray that covers 25% of the screen.

I have only used Uloader and Gecko with the Accio Hacks thing but I assume all the loaders look in the same place for the cheat files.

I hope this helps some, hmmm I just woke up so if my post is erratic or confusing lol sorry feel free to ask more :)

it gets to the bit in bold and no further it never finds any codes for anything (and yes i do have both wireless and wired if need be)

i cant use anything except neogamma because i somehow "broke" my usb, original titles find it just fine but only neogamma finds my usb drive and no "backups" or homebrew will find any of my usb devices anymore, i even had to dig out my racketsports original the other day because we wanted a game using the wiimotion (the controller free thing that kinect copied recently) and even though its on my hdd and i could load it it wouldnt see the wiimotion and as you can imagine my singitstar collection is now gathering digital dust when it cant see the mic's even with the hub disconnected it cant even see one mic.

JonathanD
11-26-2010, 04:08 PM
it gets to the bit in bold and no further it never finds any codes for anything (and yes i do have both wireless and wired if need be)

i cant use anything except neogamma because i somehow "broke" my usb, original titles find it just fine but only neogamma finds my usb drive and no "backups" or homebrew will find any of my usb devices anymore, i even had to dig out my racketsports original the other day because we wanted a game using the wiimotion (the controller free thing that kinect copied recently) and even though its on my hdd and i could load it it wouldnt see the wiimotion and as you can imagine my singitstar collection is now gathering digital dust when it cant see the mic's even with the hub disconnected it cant even see one mic.

Your USB drive is formated with WFBS? All the new loaders besides Neogamma have switched to NTFS I believe (I use Uloader and Gecko on the DVD drive)

Also as a side question what System menu are you on?

I would recommend 4.3 all updated with Darkcorp

http://www.wiihacks.com/wiihacks-member-submitted-news/62522-darkcorp-1-1-a.html

The Darkcorp thing should fix IOS56 for you (thats the USB IOS the Wii uses)

The newer loaders have switched to something like IOS256 for USB loading 256 is the hacked version of IOS56 they just put it in a different slot so homebrew can access hard drives with out breaking IOS56 that legit things use. The downside is you may have to update all your homebrew loaders after you do the Darkcorp thing.

This should fix some of your issues, if not you might need to use something called MMM first but if you use the disk channel for loading back ups you would still need to run Darkcorp after it, MMM is restricted to homebrew use and breaks a few things that for some odd reason they think keeps people from running back ups.

I hope this stuff all helps :) if not I can help more with any problems you might encounter :)

Edit:

Great news if anyone has been following this thread, initial classic control hack has been completed and now if you want it right away you need to make your own GCT file with a windows program or if you wait a few hours the codes will probably appear on Accio Hacks.

http://gbatemp.net/t266085-donkey-kong-country-returns?&st=180

billysastard
11-27-2010, 05:10 AM
i'm on 3.4e and i thought updating to anything above 4.0e was a serious nono as it blocked multi region?

on the other matter since i can use all my usb devices on original discs but not homebrew i dont see how any firmware update would help that as its obviously some kind of backup / homebrew enabled ios i need.

as to ntfs no, my current drive is on wbfs because all the usb loader stuff i have installed used to use that format (including making backups) now all i can do (since none work anymore) is use neogamma to load said backups as its the only thing that can find my usb drive, i also use neogamma to boot original discs (to bypass any updates) since i've had issues with bootmii / priiloader but honestly i'm not to bothered about that, i just want my usb's working again in homebrew.

JonathanD
11-27-2010, 12:34 PM
i'm on 3.4e and i thought updating to anything above 4.0e was a serious nono as it blocked multi region?

on the other matter since i can use all my usb devices on original discs but not homebrew i dont see how any firmware update would help that as its obviously some kind of backup / homebrew enabled ios i need.

as to ntfs no, my current drive is on wbfs because all the usb loader stuff i have installed used to use that format (including making backups) now all i can do (since none work anymore) is use neogamma to load said backups as its the only thing that can find my usb drive, i also use neogamma to boot original discs (to bypass any updates) since i've had issues with bootmii / priiloader but honestly i'm not to bothered about that, i just want my usb's working again in homebrew.

I would recommend running 4.3 firmware about the region free thing hmmm I always use a program on my computer to change the region and then scrubber to take off any update partition. Having said that if you use Neogamma to bypass updates then you would be fine at any system menu since Neogamma also does region free even on the newer firmwares. The only thing the newer system menu blocks for region free is the chips and straight loading of out of region games. (IE no homebrew no loaders just a plain chipped Wii.)

I would also switch that drive to NTFS since its a lot more reliable although I never had any problems with WBFS I have heard that on a rare occasion they can be corrupted when adding or removing a game and it spoils the whole partition and you have to reinstall your games. I guess on the NTFS if your game gets messed up adding or removing it only that game is messed up.

3.4 wow you held out a long time :) but yeah use that darkcorp on your Wii have it update it to 4.3 its safe I promise and it fixes so many things. get the latest HBC of course. The only thing you will lose is if your Wii is chipped, you will lose region free on the disk channel, but Darkcorp might give even that back since it patches a lot of things.

About Priiloader or that other boot2 or all that stuff, I never bothered with it myself on either of my Wii's. One just soft mod and the other I have soft mod and Wiikey on it, both running 4.3.

My best advice for knowing when its safe to move up to the newer firmwares is to check http://.gbatemp.net they tend to have up to the minute hacking news on the Wii and DS.

*As a side note the reason I would switch away from WBFS is that its pretty much being depreciated right now and eventually even the newer versions of Neogamma will not support it. So while its a pain in the arse you would be best off switching to NTFS by using WBFS manager to pull your games off the drive on a PC and formating it to NTFS and from there I forget the next step but I think you can just drag the .iso files back onto the drive. (Or using a newer loader just use the original disk to put them back on the drive.)

You might try this USB loader, it supports WBFS and NTFS even on the same drive.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638

reading that it does support direct loading of .iso files off of NTFS. So thats something nice :)

billysastard
11-27-2010, 01:37 PM
ok one worry here, a bit back i did a little too much tinkering and ended up with my hbc upside for months until eventually i bit the bullet and did a full reinstall (using bannerbomb) but i cant use that on 4.3 and we dont have any copies of lij for pwns and i just looked and prices for lij are taking the pi$$ (30-50), now of course i can afford it but it does seem a lot to pay for a poor game just as an insurance policy if i cant use bannerbomb, would i be better going to 4.2 (is that doable?) then using dopmii 1.4 to update the shop channel.

one issue too if i went to ntfs, sometimes if i dl something its a ciso at present i use wbfs gui to upload to wbfs drive then wbfs manager to dump back to the pc as a .iso to archive, obviously this is mainly for sing it star discs but i really dont like a .ciso archive, thats the only way i have found to "correct" a ciso, ntfs would remove that ability although i do admit it would be an improvement.

JonathanD
11-27-2010, 02:16 PM
ok one worry here, a bit back i did a little too much tinkering and ended up with my hbc upside for months until eventually i bit the bullet and did a full reinstall (using bannerbomb) but i cant use that on 4.3 and we dont have any copies of lij for pwns and i just looked and prices for lij are taking the pi$$ (30-50), now of course i can afford it but it does seem a lot to pay for a poor game just as an insurance policy if i cant use bannerbomb, would i be better going to 4.2 (is that doable?) then using dopmii 1.4 to update the shop channel.

one issue too if i went to ntfs, sometimes if i dl something its a ciso at present i use wbfs gui to upload to wbfs drive then wbfs manager to dump back to the pc as a .iso to archive, obviously this is mainly for sing it star discs but i really dont like a .ciso archive, thats the only way i have found to "correct" a ciso, ntfs would remove that ability although i do admit it would be an improvement.

Yeah if you use Darkcorp 1.1 to update your Wii you can pick what version of the menu you want your Wii at like 4.2 and then your CIOS's will be all completely up to date (they are independent of the regular IOS's) it can even downgrade to lower system menu's but that seems risky to me.

For converting CISO to ISO a better program to use is Wii backup Manager, its pretty handy to have laying around as it does quite a few things it sounds like it could save you a few steps since it can work with the files directly.

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/iso/wbfs-managers/wii-backup-manager

Homebrew Channel being upside down is because of trucha bug signed IOS36 and the newer HBC uses the regular old IOS36, they used to use IOS36 with the trucha bug to install Wiiware but since then have moved to IOS236 I believe 236 is a hacked IOS36 moved to a custom location to prevent a lot of problems. Darkcorp 1.1 installs regular IOS36 these days so its HBC compliant.

I don't think 4.3 added anything over 4.2 so you would probably be golden at that one for a while.

At least you would have SDHC support now :) or did that have it back then? My brain is melted from trying to get Classic Controls on DKCR right now (version 1 version 2 and trying to get the codes working with out hitting a stack dump, I may end up waiting for it to be posted on Accio Hacks myself, can't believe its still not posted yet.)

Edit: To get Darkcorp 1.1 is a weird process you have to email an address and they email you a link to download it (I guess they update it all the time or something)

darkcorp@thewebpost.net <----Found it after like 20 minutes of looking.... lol

Edit 2: I would recommend the Full version for you since your updating from quite a ways back, I would recommend the full one anyway since it just seems like who wouldn't want all the goodies?

I haven't tested it out but I think it even boots GC back ups. Might have to try my custom Mario Party 4-7 disk and see how it works on softmod only lol

A little over 2GB's of Mario Party fun on the GC lol works fine on my chipped Wii, not sure about softmod but it should be fine the newest thing is loading GC games from the hard drive but I hear thats uber buggy right now lol

hoky
11-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Is this Accio Hacks thing different from the built in Ocarina Cheat Engine found in USB Loader GX?

JonathanD
11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Is this Accio Hacks thing different from the built in Ocarina Cheat Engine found in USB Loader GX?

No its the same codes they are even compatible, its just that Accio Hacks runs from the homebrew channel on your Wii and downloads the codes and creates the right GCT file for your other programs to use like USB Loader GX.

Accio Hacks just is very convenient and very complete, although they still have not uploaded the codes for Classic Control support for DKCR... I guess they are testing them or something.

hoky
11-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Ok I understand.

But just to let you know that you can do the same right inside usb loader gx. It downloads the codes from the database and then allows you to choose which cheats you want and creates a gct file on the fly.

Xenogears V
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I have only see some video gameplay...Graphis seems worse then snes versions. I want FX processor back. :p

kcvfr400
12-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I find it looks horrendous and play ok but my oldest boy of 7 seems to get on very well with it. So well aimed at the wii's userbase.