PDA

View Full Version : Article: Hackers do good, bring OtherOS back to PS3

Zeus
05-06-2011, 06:14 AM
You can view the page at http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?45870-Hackers-do-good-bring-OtherOS-back-to-PS3

apan_bajs
05-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Good! Now leave us alone and use your precious OtherOS.

CaVaLiEr-
05-06-2011, 06:53 AM

agreed, let us have our games back. all this hacking is bullshit..

miles556
05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
leave SONY alone!!!

Xenogears V
05-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Good news. I wating this moment from a lot of time.

ThreeDog
05-06-2011, 07:24 AM
There are a lot of catches with this it seems and I have yet to see reports of it working. While it is supposedly OtherOS without the hardware restrictions imposed it's still not as ideal as Sony giving it back as an official function of the firmware for those with just one console.

tech3475
05-06-2011, 07:27 AM
There are a lot of catches with this it seems and I have yet to see reports of it working. While it is supposedly OtherOS without the hardware restrictions imposed it's still not as ideal as Sony giving it back as an official function of the firmware for those with just one console.

This, it's ok for someone with two consoles, but for those with just one who want to also play e.g. portal 2 or online you damned.

That said, I'm still glad Linux is being worked on, once I feel comfortable with the tools (let everyone else be the guinea pigs or for new releases) I plan to hack my old console and put this on.

edit:
Also, to the anti-hackers, are you complaining for legitimate reasons or just being ignorant e.g. confusing CFW hackers with the PSN hacker?

ThreeDog
05-06-2011, 07:40 AM
That said, I'm still glad Linux is being worked on, once I feel comfortable with the tools (let everyone else be the guinea pigs or for new releases) I plan to hack my old console and put this on.

Yeah same, This is a remarkable achievement and once they sort out hard drive partitioning instead of VFLASH I have a Slim (nicknamed Hackstation 3) ready and waiting for this.

msanchez
05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Thank YOU! well like Tech and TD I won't be installing this just yet, but I'm grateful somebody's actually taking care of the problem... and given the sh*t storm it's pretty safe to assume sony will just look the other way and leave this alone. Actually, well... you just never know with sony, just when you think they can't get any dumber they find a way to surprise you, so let's not discard the idea they'll send the CIA, FBI, NSA, Navy Seals, and the Green Berets to a few houses.

osnoozeo
05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
well most of u guys give most of the credits to graf! he is facing jail time, over and over again he kept working on this, even though his stuff was taken more than once! good job graf! without him all this would of been a yr or 2 down the road!

Nicotine
05-06-2011, 09:12 AM

agreed, let us have our games back. all this hacking is bullshit..

leave SONY alone!!!

how do your asses feel? riding sony's d1ck so damn hard?

msanchez
05-06-2011, 09:34 AM
well most of u guys give most of the credits to graf! he is facing jail time, over and over again he kept working on this, even though his stuff was taken more than once! good job graf! without him all this would of been a yr or 2 down the road!

This goes without saying, I don't know whether it's balls of steel or just lacking in common sense, but regardless graf has been focused on bringing back Linux to the ps3. Still, I'm not sure if this was graf's actual work, or someone else taking notes from his work.

As ignorant as those posts make them all look, let's try to keep the insults down.

stanleyopar2000
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM

loos like there are so(ny)me butthurt posters here ;P

_Iori_
05-06-2011, 11:11 AM

U cant be THAT DUMB !!............

msanchez
05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
loos like there are so(ny)me butthurt posters here ;P

Refer to the above warning, it applies to you as well.

Battlefield
05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I dont care about OtherOS anyway, because Linux is so much better on PC.

ThreeDog
05-06-2011, 11:53 AM
well most of u guys give most of the credits to graf! he is facing jail time, over and over again he kept working on this, even though his stuff was taken more than once! good job graf! without him all this would of been a yr or 2 down the road!Yeah... :)

mattias800
05-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Haters gonna hate :)

tech3475
05-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Of course.

djvalic
05-06-2011, 05:02 PM
If you want to play Portal 2 online get a PC. If you want OtherOS/Linux get a PC. If you want to hack.... make Syria/Freedom the goal instead of piracy/greed.

msanchez
05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
On a side note, here I am turning on my ps3 for the first time in a few months... I got a new sharpshooter courtesy of my sony points (We all know I'm not buying hardware/software that'll put money into sony's pockets anytime soon), and since the only gun game I have to try it out on is RE5 I figured I'd put it in there.... 15 mins afterwards... still installing.... it's at 83%, and I'm really contemplating just going out.

Christ, I just want to test the damn thing out!!!!!!!!!!!

apan_bajs
05-06-2011, 06:01 PM
U cant be THAT DUMB !!............

Well I know you are, but what am I... lol no but seriously I just want to play my games on my Ps3 don't care for Linux that's what my PC is for.

Yes Sony shouldn't have removed the OtherOS but the only thing that matters in the end is the games and Sony removing OtherOS or trying to prevent CFWs doesn't interfere with playing the games if you don't pirate your games of course.

jku2
05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Good? At what cost? Who cares about OtherOS, give us back PSN.

mil098
05-06-2011, 06:58 PM
just get on with it, you people who wanted otheros there you have it, now just leave it be and let the rest of us play games....

msanchez
05-06-2011, 07:36 PM
LOL! It's hilarious that suddenly we have an influx of people who are ok with the things sony do. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I wonder if the IP ranges of these guys with <30 posts will look similar to our resident ps3 trolls.

Oh well I'm probably mistaken as nobody could be that pathetic to make double accounts just to support his/hers opinions... right?

CaVaLiEr-
05-07-2011, 02:13 AM

glad ths how you feel, fyi i have all 3 consoles and ps3 is still best one out of them all imo

kids !!

jbondsr
05-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Sony has done some really good things, but the amount of bad things have done is unacceptable.

They've really been dropping the ball in terms of the way they handle things.
Taking away features - OtherOS, PS2 backwards compatability, Media Card Slots, etc.
(Features that they heralded on PS3 launch - and it kills me that a group of homebrew developers can make a decent PS2 emulator that works on multiple systems, but Sony refuse to do it on their own proprietary software)

But its not just the PS3.
They've kept pushing their terrible DRM, installing rootkits, and forcing their expensive proprietary mediums/hardware that did not conform to industry standards (and added no extra benefits).

Their playstation brand is good (minus the mistakes), their TVs are of decent quality (although a bit overpriced) and for the most part, I've never had a Sony product break down on me (except for their PCs, which is a different story - which their proprietary hardware makes it a nightmare).

I think they needed to be taken down a peg to make them rethink the way they do/handle situations.
The real test now is how they handle things moving forward. Succeed, or doomed to repeat?