PDA

View Full Version : Article: Emulators disappear on andriod market

danight
05-30-2011, 08:54 AM
You can view the page at http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?45968-Emulators-diappear-on-android-market

emkoemko
05-30-2011, 09:01 AM
good to me there is a big difference between a free/open source emulator and some asshole trying to make money from something like this. And i doubt he even wrote these emulators from scratch.

tech3475
05-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't see how Sega complaining should lead to anything if there isn't any copyrighted code in them, IIRC in the US they are legal.

Also, were these based on GPL code which he never released the source code for?

CZroe
05-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Bastard should never have been charging for something he doesn't own. I don't care how much effort it took to tweak and optimize for Android, if he didn't write the core emulation (the part that has taken decades of work for many emulators), what business does he have renaming it and selling it as his own product?

I don't see how Sega complaining should lead to anything if there isn't any copyrighted code in them, IIRC in the US they are legal.

That's the problem. For example, the vast majority of optimized SNES emulators since the DC/PS2/XBOX days have been renamed ports of SNES9x. There was once a time when you could go to SNES9x.com and see the properly maintained port for your platform and download it with the source code. Things got so far out of hand that people are actually CHARGING for their unofficial ports, which is against GPL.

realshompa
05-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Googles "open" software.
First Google closed Android 3.0 for developers.
Now they pull software from their market.

Google openness: more Nazi apps then Apple store.

Xenogears V
05-30-2011, 10:23 AM
good to me there is a big difference between a free/open source emulator and some asshole trying to make money from something like this. And i doubt he even wrote these emulators from scratch.

I am totally agree with you. Who care, so, someother can develop emulators software.

msanchez
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I still like android over the windows phone, and ios... but this is why I've been using the amazon app store for my purchases. I would expect different things from a company whos motto was supposed to be "Do no evil". *SIGH* Are these asses going to force me to change phone platforms with these draconian stunts?

Oh well, I wonder how long 'til they really piss someone off that they shouldn't have, only to have a sony pulled on them?

This is not to say I approve of the guy's "work" I also said a very long time ago that he shouldn't be charging for ports of emulators... it's just not right, but I can't approve of the reasons google used to remove the apps from the market.

tech3475
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I would expect different things from a company whos motto was supposed to be "Do no evil".

The definition of evil has been changed so that they still comply with their motto.

p1nky
05-30-2011, 01:18 PM
But "disappearing" from market for Android still means, that you can run it if you download it elsewhere, correct?
Not like Apple where if it's gone from the app store there is no way to get this on your device anymore if you're not jailbroken?

pezjono
05-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Googles "open" software.
First Google closed Android 3.0 for developers.
Now they pull software from their market.

Google openness: more Nazi apps then Apple store.

Get your head out of your ass. Android 3.0 was closed temporarily while code was being completed. It is open right now and even companies like ASUS are pushing out updates for 3.1 to their Transformer tablet tomorrow!
They pulled the emulators because this asshole was taking open code, modifying, and selling it (and not releasing his modifications openly). This dude was effectively stealing and Google did the right thing to remove it from the market. NOTICE: Just the market! Once Apple removes stuff, there is no way to get it anymore without jailbreaking your iPhone.

But "disappearing" from market for Android still means, that you can run it if you download it elsewhere, correct?
Not like Apple where if it's gone from the app store there is no way to get this on your device anymore if you're not jailbroken?

You are correct, not only are the emulators still easily installable by loading the APK files, but those who already had it installed from the market will still have it on their phones. This only affects people who did not get it before and are too stupid to load a file onto their SD card.

roch
05-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Most of the emulators are on SlideMe,
go to their web site download SlideMe's market App
& use that to download the emulators.

UltraPic
05-31-2011, 08:19 AM

Sega own the hardware that is being emulated, which in turn runs code specific to whatever platform that is being emulated making the emulator as illegal as the roms normally used (sega dont sell roms of either game or system variety). And IIRC emulators are legal everywhere, providing you/they have the right copyright permissions (remember this is about selling emulators, so you cant sell what your not entitled to).

{{909}}
05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I hope they also stopped people selling zips of roms too then, I saw a number of people on the marketplace selling 5 or 6 of the well known games as a rom package, which is just taking the piss.

msanchez
05-31-2011, 06:21 PM
I hope they also stopped people selling zips of roms too then, I saw a number of people on the marketplace selling 5 or 6 of the well known games as a rom package, which is just taking the piss.

Yeah, I've seen a few of those... that's just wrong.