PDA

View Full Version : Article: PS3 hacker GeoHot now working for Facebook

danight
06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
You can view the page at http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?46085-PS3-hacker-GeoHot-now-working-for-Facebook

msanchez
06-27-2011, 12:25 PM
I thought he was going to jail to get raped or something? :rolleyes:I still don't really like the guy, but good for him.

bennyb
06-27-2011, 01:48 PM
he will be on a better wage at face book than wen he was trying to het a job of pony

danight
06-27-2011, 03:43 PM
What gets me is people are shocked over this. In the history if the web hackers have been some of the smartest tech people out there. Once of the guys who created napster was a big part of coding facebook for a while.
Its funny how these companies hate these people so much, yet they go on to help shape the world as we know it.

Where would itunes be if it was not for napster or limewire? Now every company wishes they had a facebook knock off that could compete with them guys. E
ven Microsoft at 1 pointed wanted to buy facebook. When they got turned down, Microsoft bought stock in facebook instead. Social networking 2: for the lulz (ive been calling it for a while. This is gonna be a movie soon) Geohotz, lulzsec, sony... people will pay to see it.

Whats bad is a company with the hugest following on the planet trusts him enough to give him a job. But sony wouldn't. :) But on the serious. Grats to him for landing a tech job in todays screwed up markets. Its tough out there for everyone, not just famous hackers.

MadonnaProject
06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Best of luck to him, he has the brains for it. This kid is gonna be rich. I wish I were this smart.

wiggim
06-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Best of luck to him, he has the brains for it. This kid is gonna be rich. I wish I were this smart.

Doubt facebook is going to make him rich, but you never know... With his given background and facebook's resources I'm sure things are defiantly looking up for him compared to a few months back.

wiggim
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Whats bad is a company with the hugest following on the planet trusts him enough to give him a job. But sony wouldn't. :)

+1
Geohot screamed sony, had all their gizmos and knew how they all worked. He had great ideas. Sony sued. Facebook creator is like, "heh, you remind me of myself those few years back. your hired!"

dsav
06-27-2011, 06:09 PM
I thought he was going to jail to get raped or something? :rolleyes:

lmfao.

people are a bunch of idiots, especially all the sony fanboys...

:cool:

msanchez
06-27-2011, 06:26 PM
lmfao.

people are a bunch of idiots, especially all the sony fanboys...

:cool:

Why must you insult idiots? Isn't it enough that they're.... well idiots... do you need to call them sony fanboys on top of it? :p

On a serious note... should facebook users be worried? I mean facebook, it seems, is trying at every corner to find out more about it's users in order to bombard them with "relevant" ads. If you think of it that way, the equation isn't really something to look forward to (Company that doesn't respect privacy + talented hacker = I know what color your panties are).

Hamsterman-SWE
06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Why must you insult idiots? Isn't it enough that they're.... well idiots... do you need to call them sony fanboys on top of it? :p

On a serious note... should facebook users be worried? I mean facebook, it seems, is trying at every corner to find out more about it's users in order to bombard them with "relevant" ads. If you think of it that way, the equation isn't really something to look forward to (Company that doesn't respect privacy + talented hacker = I know what color your panties are).
Well at least he didn't go to microsoft to work with xbox live or anything. Even if he was a bad decision I wish him good luck.

reptarjr
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Im not surprised. Mark Zuckerburg wouldn't pass down an opportunity to hire a obnoxious guy that's just like him. Good for him though.:D

danight
06-27-2011, 07:49 PM
dont really have much to do with the topic but its a bad ass story.

http://magweasel.com/2009/08/29/hidden-messagin/Back

in the 8 bit days devs used to put hidden messages in .exe files for games Some game devs used to be hackers before they broke into the biz.
Maybe not hackers since that term gets thrown around so loosely these days.

But still people seem to think of hackers like mutant in a xmen movie. But its kinda a slap in the face to sony to see this kid make it. 1 min sony is painting him like the devil walking the earth. Next min he is part of the biggest internet sensation ever. Just kinda ironic. But i bet facebook has some tight ass security. Even lulz commented on their security in 1 of their tweets.

Xenogears V
06-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Crime pay. :p

iLLNESS
06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
im going to guess this possible job placement has ALOT to do with the unexpected settlement with sony.seems geohot was all about the money/publicity after all.

psa9
06-28-2011, 01:47 AM
im going to guess this possible job placement has ALOT to do with the unexpected settlement with sony.seems geohot was all about the money/publicity after all.

If u found $10,000 would u keep it or give it away? Most people would keep it and while i liked geohot for jailbreaking the iphones he would have been stupid not to want to make money! I mean real talk i have much respect for geohot but most people dislike him so with that being said he should careless about all the people and care about himself and having a good job is better then hacking stuff for cry babies!

He got a Job for Facebook and regardless if he gets rich or not he will make decent money with a great way to start his resume! Hum Facebook with being known for hacking will eventually get him a job that will make him rich!

John Crichton
06-28-2011, 07:24 AM
No problem with Geohot. He is some leagues above the likes of Lulzsec and Anon and did no harm to people.

In the past, there were no hackers that couldn't code. I mean no simple scripts or something.

msanchez
06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Well at least he didn't go to microsoft to work with xbox live or anything. Even if he was a bad decision I wish him good luck.

As far as invasion of privacy goes, only google is on par with facebook... on that matter I don't think xbl can compare to either one. On all other respects they may be equals, or xbl might be the shiestier service.

...But i bet facebook has some tight ass security. Even lulz commented on their security in 1 of their tweets.

I imagine they would, they are run by 21st century human beings that understand the current state of things... not by a bunch of dinosaurs who think lawyers are the remedy to all the worlds problems.

Another thing, is this actually confirmed? I just don't see this happening and going under the radar. I see a few sites reporting on it, but not big stink. Also, what's "first hackathon over"?... did we misunderstand something?

danight
06-28-2011, 10:27 AM
While Facebook has been quiet on the subject, a myriad of sources are charging the claim. Perhaps the most evident source is Hotz’s own Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/geohot?sk=wall), where he confirms his employment with Facebook. http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-hacker-geohot-hired-by-facebook-report/

wewii
06-28-2011, 11:19 AM
This news is indifferent to me.

If I'm not getting hired at Facebook... then I just don't care. :p

DAVE11674
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
yawn who cares the bum should get a job !!

WoIverine
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Heh, I bet Sony backed down immediately after it was revealed that Hotz was in talks with Facebook for a possible employment opportunity. I'd imagine that FB is probably something Sony wouldn't dare touch since FB apps already run on several of their devices. It'd potentially be really bad mojo to litigate against GeoHot, if he's one of the mains on FB's external device dev team or something, especially if Zuckerberg personally hired him. If that's how things played out...Hotz is probably a lot smarter than anybody realized, unless he got really really lucky, which I doubt since he's always been a glory hound to begin with. If that was his goal...he sure got it, came out unscathed, and landed a job probably making bank with Zuckerberg. Well played.

NSTar
06-29-2011, 02:44 AM
I think facebook security is weak.