PDA

View Full Version : Article: Sony: Hackers just want our games for free

Zeus
06-29-2011, 02:15 PM
You can view the page at http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?46089-Sony-Hackers-just-want-our-games-for-free

Erikih
06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
No, we want Linux back on our ps3's.

DanASBO
06-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Bollocks. Pirates pirate. Hackers hack.

dwrecording
06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Bollocks. Pirates pirate. Hackers hack.

That is like cell phones. I hack my cell phone so it will run faster. Not so i can get free games.

ando2k5
06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
That is like cell phones. I hack my cell phone so it will run faster. Not so i can get free games.
your not essentially hacking though

someones already done the work for you your merely copying it

HyperTech
06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
wrong, hacker dont want your freaking game for free, they dont give a $hit of your game. all they want is challenge and get back our previously paid feature that has been removed with mandatory update.

one easy rule to folow is, you dont remove of alter a feature that you previously sold to someone, even if you THINK nobody use it.

the only personne that want your game for free is the poeple that cant even afford a ps3.

dazbobaby
06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
No, you were hacked because your security was poor, so poor even I, a non-technical person could have hacked your servers in less than 1 hour.
You were targeted because you not only wanted to control your games, you also wanted to control everything we do with our own equipment. Wake up Sony, being blinkered will only hinder you to the truth... You are a greedy, controlling, manipulative corporation.

I can understand you want to prevent piracy, but nothing that Geogot and friends did enabled that, yet you still wanted to screw them, and anyone who even visted a youtube video.

Marshcroft
06-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I just cant get over the total stupidity of the People and PR that Sony keeps throwing out to the public. It is almost as if they are just being begged by any hacking community to take them out again.:confused:

WoIverine
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Sony Sony Sony, when will you ever learn? Get ready for another wave of PSN downtime people. LOL, my god they're so stupid, they deserve another LulzSec torpedo just for good measure.

John Crichton
06-29-2011, 06:03 PM
No, we want Linux back on our ps3's. Tried a pc?

vishvender
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
No, we want Linux back on our ps3's.
So you want crippled and outdated Linux on your ps3? 256MB ram doesn't really help. PS3 linux was always a joke.

wiggim
06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
So you want crippled and outdated Linux on your ps3? 256MB ram doesn't really help. PS3 linux was always a joke.

Seems like you want a UI with video output and a kb/mouse...
Didn't know ubuntu 11.04 was outdated, and 256MB ram + RSX access = smooth experience
the 'hacker' implementation is quite nice for the available hardware. Sony only removed it because they were losing money...no security issues were at fault, geohot just happened to line up nicely for an excuse.

Sony's implementation wasn't a joke- but it wasn't useful as a desktop environment, which you would think the majority of PS3 owners would do on their HDTV. Due to their cheapness compared to renting cell processing servers from IBM..

Hackers want the raw number-crunching ability, and a network connection to ssh or telnet into. Not something to watch movies on or browse facebook

msanchez
06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes I'm sure graf just wants to play free ps3 games... Sweet Lord these guys always exceed my expectations with their stupid statements. Are there people that just want free games? yes I don't think we can deny that, but F*CK YOU SONY! you screwed us all merely based on your cynicism. Free games? Do these flipping idiots thinks that someone that goes through all that trouble was going to buy their sorry excuse for game anyways? Good job pissing off paying customers to get rid of non-paying customers a-holes.

... Oh if only somebody would knock down the PSN permanently. Instead of worrying about pirates, worry bout the quality of your games, and keeping your customers happy (and I'm not talking about the SDF cause as long as it's sony they'll give up their virginity, or even their kids virginity).

After all that's happened they still DON'T GET IT!

http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Facepalm-1.jpeg

danight
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Actually they did get to play games for free. Sony offered free games as a welcome back gift. The shady thing is sony added the cost of those free games into the estimate of damages the hackers caused. So its not really a free gift if its being charged off to hackers.

Now the father of the ps3 crazy ken is retiring. Probably forced. Kaz is being promoted (probably the best choice) and stringer and trenton are still hiding and denying.

ThreeDog
06-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Now the father of the ps3 crazy ken is retiring. Probably forced. Kaz is being promoted (probably the best choice) and stringer and trenton are still hiding and denying.I agree with you. An added benefit is that Kazuo has viral marketing potential and could actually be one of the most recognisable faces behind the Playstation brand. When he gets to the point of CEO they should use him in advertising along with Kevin Buttler.

Envision Kevin sitting on the Sofa playing Vita. Kazuo Hirai walks into the living room and asks Kevin what he's playing. Kevin begins screaming it's RIDGE RACER! RIDGE RACERRRRRRRR!!! A packshot of Ridge Racer flies up on the screen followed by a blast of Ridge Racer, Kaz says It's Ridge Racer. I guarantee sales of the game will go through the roof.

MicroNut
06-29-2011, 09:53 PM
After all that's happened they still DON'T GET IT!
No they dont. They are still in Tactical denial. lol

Actually they did get to play games for free...
Yes they did...

Please dont forget that Geohot's Glitch hack required special hardware
and software using firmware 3.15 (the latest firmware at the time)

A rough history after the Glitch hack was revealed.
-OtherOS Removed.
-A lot of customers really pissed off.
-Someone else (http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/scea-vs-zoomba-saga-continues-85239/) entirely releases the first AVR/Dongle service jig hack and charges for it. (enabling Warez)
-Sony quietly finds and sues the crap of him (http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/scea-vs-zoomba-saga-continues-85239/). (an under reported story imho)
-Sony quietly finds Graf, has the cops raid his home and take all his stuff...
-Geohot releases PS3 root key, posting it directly on the www.
(after reversing it using f0f and Graf's data... keeps the NPDRM keys for himself)
-Geohot releases warez locked CFW (using NPDRM keys)
-Sony finds GeoHot and sues him into PS3 oblivion.
-Sony has the cops raid Graf's home and take all his stuff... again. (my fracking Hero!)
-Anonymous and friends bring down the house...
-Not a single pirate busted.

iLLNESS
06-29-2011, 09:58 PM

im curious if you own a car, or a tv, or a cellphone, or even a toothbrush.

wouldnt it just suck if you bought any of these items one day, then the next the auto manufacturer limited your rpms by half or removed 1/4 of the radio stations you listened to. all because someone was working on a way to 'tune' the engines ecu through the radio.
or 1/4 of your channels were removed from the tv, or 1/4 of the resolution was dropped. hell, what if the remote was disabled because there was some random guy working on an exploit to take advantage of the power of the tv.
perhaps the cellphone you own had the contact list removed or the web browser disabled because someone used those items to 'hack' into your phone and steal your data.
even the toothbrush. maybe oralb decided you only needed half of the handle because someone figured out how to file it down to a shiv and hurt someone.

it doesnt matter if you use the features, or want them. they were there when you purchased the items. quit being such a blind person and atleast understand that. it REALLY isn't hard. people out there wanted the feature, and it was removed. who the **** cares otherwise.

you should do all these companies a favor and just tell them to come to you when they want to sign some contracts. after about 2 months you probably wont care what happens with the contract anyways so its a big win for that company.

JonathanD
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
I would agree with Sony except... I have my PS3 hacked, I could play almost all the games out for the PS3. The most interesting thing coming for hacked PS3 phats? Being able to load my old PS1/PS2 games off of the hard drive and play those. Honestly I did download one game for the PS3 and that was out of curiosity to compare it to the PC version which I bought. Other then that the 5 or 6 PS3 games I was interested in I bought. On the note of the PS3 game? It compared pretty good considering I don't a keyboard or mouse for it, I played it for a few hours then deleted it. Hacked PS3's work great for media playback (much better then the media playback on a non hacked PS3) Emulators run fantastic, you can play all 3.55 and some newer games with patches if you wanted too, install Linux back and have that fully functional even better then what Sony offered. The trade off is that you lose PSN and all its associated goodies, some newer games you cannot play at all.The great news for hackers is that work is being done to get the latest firmware hacked and so those hacked consoles will be back on PSN (I probably will not bother since 3.55 does everything I want it to.)

msanchez
06-29-2011, 11:03 PM
...it doesnt matter if you use the features, or want them. they were there when you purchased the items. quit being such a blind person and atleast understand that. it REALLY isn't hard. people out there wanted the feature, and it was removed...

I really can't understand why, just WHY that is so hard to understand. Even if it is hard to understand, I don't see why some feel the need to come to sony's aid whenever somebody says anything about the removal of OtherOS. If sony says they will add a smell-o-vision output to the ps3, as useless as I think it will be, I won't complain about it. Why should I? The same way, us asking for linux even if it is useless to all of you... hell it's useless even to some of us demanding it back, it doesn't affect any of you in anyway.... oh that's right, some people actually believe sony had to remove it to add other features... LOL! I wonder which is funnier believing that, or that they did it for security reasons (after all the hardware that's been leaked, and the whole PSN fiasco, it's obvious sony has no clue what the word security means)

...The trade off is that you lose PSN and all its associated goodies...

I still think the ones losing thanks to that scenario are sony, I spent more money than I care to admit on impulse buys on the PSN... so in a way thanks sony, I have more money for beer thanks to you :D

Vik Abominae X
06-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Sorry, but you can't compare Other OS removal (a minor side-addition to the PS3's capabilities at launch likely included so that they could categorize the PS3 as a PC and not a toy in Europe) to "losing 1/4 of your TV channels"...maybe if those TV channels were odd, highly technical stations that only 1 in 1,000,000 people even knew were part of your TV package and that you had to have technical knowledge to even access...and that each individual user had to download and install the package for off the internet on a separate PC, and install command-line.... Same thing with all of the other bullshit comparisons...Other OS was a tacked-in thing that was half-disabled from the get-go anyway! It wasn't like Sony had a fresh copy of Linux included pre-loaded on the PS3 in the retail box. It was a side note of "if you get a distribution of Linux and find out how to go through the command prompt installation procedures, it is physically possible to install a legal, half-crippled version of Linux for demonstration purposes on this machine".

The PS3's Other OS mode didn't even allow RSX access from Linux. It was a crippled feature just included to meet a government/political classification criteria. I love when people wax poetic about how it is some GRAND feature that was STRIPPED AWAY! Woe to the consumers, as we have lost one of the primary and greatest things that the PS3 could do! Complete bullshit. Everyone just jumped on the bandwagon because it is cool to hate Sony and, yes, because hacking the PS3 gets you free games...

By the way, 3.55 and all of the other CFWs have been out for around a year now, right? Where is the 3.55 CFW Homebrew that has nothing to do with piracy? All I see are emulators (as much as they are awesome and great and allow you to play stuff that is otherwise virtually unavailable, they are still ILLEGAL and PIRACY! Emulated ROMs that you did not personally rip from the cartridge/disc that you currently own are still PIRATED GAMES), loaders (all they load is illegal content - again, if the copy you have was not personally ripped and a copy of software that you purchased and still own, it is illegal), and security circumvention.

There is almost NO real PS3 Homebrew that doesn't have its roots in some form or another of piracy or security circumvention...even your precious "restore Linux/Other OS" idea goes BEYOND the scope of what the original Other OS did, and enables RSX access which is not what Sony wanted. They disabled RSX access for reasons of their own, which likely entailed, that Other OS was never meant to be anything more than a tool to get European classification as a PC and not a toy.

Vik Abominae X
06-30-2011, 01:40 AM
Oh, and before I hear about "What about those scientific institutions that bought server farms of PS3s to use as linked supercomputers"? I remember hearing about that one when Other OS was removed. Guess what? Anyone who has the PS3s for that purpose IS NOT going to be connecting them to PSN, thus they can stay Other OS enabled. Sure, they won't be getting new PS3 Slims to use for such a purpose, but then again, why not get a PC for that? That is not the purpose of a PS3! A PS3 is a gaming console/home entertainment device (Blu-ray player, media center, game console, network multimedia client). It is not a PC, as one thinks of a Windows or completely customizable Linux machine.

Vik Abominae X
06-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Let's put it this way. Can you LEGALLY go back in and enable features that Microsoft has disabled in Windows, not by using 3rd-party programs which add features to Windows like enabling Rar support by installing Winrar (which don't exist for PS3), but by modifying the copy/code of Windows itself? Can you make a modified Windows OS software and legally distribute it? I would say no. That is what "Windows Genuine Advantage" tools and CD-Keys prevent. That is what really, ANY Custom Firmware is doing. It is taking a commercial release and modifying it.

Sony's Firmwares for PS3 are commercial software and modifying commercial software and distributing it without permission is illegal. Period.

By the way, what is the most-downloaded PS3 homebrew software? If I had my guess, it would be the "Multi-man" file manager, which is primarily used for loading "Back-up" (read: Pirated, illegal, torrented, downloaded) PS3 games off of a HDD. Shows you how much these people love homebrew, eh? Yeah people want legal software on PS3! No, they want "back-up managers" (read: Pirate-game players) and emulators (free old-school games - I mean, you see people asking for a PS1 Emulator for PS3 - come on, how much more OBVIOUS do you have to be that you want to be able to play pirated ISO's of PS1 discs, since ANY PS3 plays PS1 discs by DEFAULT)...

put4558350
06-30-2011, 01:50 AM
by disable other os sony only made one more reason to hack ps3

Vik Abominae X
06-30-2011, 01:56 AM
by disable other os sony only made one more reason to hack ps3
Yeah, an excuse pirates could use to rally people around them and say "we don't want piracy on PS3! No! We just want Other OS back! Yeah!" (Meanwhile, let's just conveniently make it really easy to enable piracy and even release "Backup managers" to allow people to run "legally-owned backup copies" of software "that they own" off of a PC USB HDD.

Other OS removal was just the PERFECT excuse for the people hacking the PS3 to use to make themselves not look like the criminals that they were/are.

But we don't want piracy, no....lol...

put4558350
06-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Let's put it this way. Can you LEGALLY go back in and enable features that Microsoft has disabled in Windows, not by using 3rd-party programs which add features to Windows like enabling Rar support by installing Winrar (which don't exist for PS3), but by modifying the copy/code of Windows itself? Can you make a modified Windows OS software and legally distribute it? I would say no. That is what "Windows Genuine Advantage" tools and CD-Keys prevent. That is what really, ANY Custom Firmware is doing. It is taking a commercial release and modifying it.

Sony's Firmwares for PS3 are commercial software and modifying commercial software and distributing it without permission is illegal. Period.

on windows you can write your own program and run your own program inside windows in console we call homebrows in mobile we call app in windows we call program. it's extend features of it's host as much as you might already know

Yeah, an excuse pirates could use to rally people around them and say "we don't want piracy on PS3! No! We just want Other OS back! Yeah!" (Meanwhile, let's just conveniently make it really easy to enable piracy and even release "Backup managers" to allow people to run "legally-owned backup copies" of software "that they own" off of a PC USB HDD.

Other OS removal was just the PERFECT excuse for the people hacking the PS3 to use to make themselves not look like the criminals that they were/are.

But we don't want piracy, no....lol...

run legally-owned backup software is a reason to hack ps3.
load game form hdd add one reason to hack ps3.
piracy add one good reason to hack ps3.
get other os is add another reason to hack ps3.

tech3475
06-30-2011, 02:31 AM
After Sony removed/blackmailed OOS from us, frankly I think they deserve to have the **** beaten out of them.

To say that hackers only want free games though is wrong though IMO, it's always the homebrew/linux hackers who do the best work. Piracy always comes after them because they have to tear down the security to be able to get linux/homebrew.

In fact I bet that if OOS was in all PS3s right now, the situation would be different.

trancehead
06-30-2011, 02:31 AM
That is not the purpose of a PS3! A PS3 is a gaming console/home entertainment device (Blu-ray player, media center, game console, network multimedia client). It is not a PC, as one thinks of a Windows or completely customizable Linux machine.
Until someone exploits the media center or something and they decide to remove it.
because after all, statistically more people use it to play games than as a media center.

mattias800
06-30-2011, 05:19 AM
I don't get it. Are you arguing semantics? They aren't talking about Geohotz, they're talking about all the people who hacked their PS3's using the hacks developed by hackers. I'd argue that 99% of all people who have modified their PS3 play pirated games. If not 100%.The lack of homebrew is a large indicator of this. I'd love to have more homebrew and emulators but it seems people (gamers or dev) aren't all that interested in it. Multiman on the other hand..So why do people hack their PS3's? To get free content. Quite obvious. Sony are correct.

mattias800
06-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Oh, and before I hear about "What about those scientific institutions that bought server farms of PS3s to use as linked supercomputers"? I remember hearing about that one when Other OS was removed. Guess what? Anyone who has the PS3s for that purpose IS NOT going to be connecting them to PSN, thus they can stay Other OS enabled. Sure, they won't be getting new PS3 Slims to use for such a purpose, but then again, why not get a PC for that? That is not the purpose of a PS3! A PS3 is a gaming console/home entertainment device (Blu-ray player, media center, game console, network multimedia client). It is not a PC, as one thinks of a Windows or completely customizable Linux machine.

Well actually, the Cell is very well suited for mathematical calculations (as opposed to general purpose computations) which makes it a perfect match for scientific farms.
And arguing the definition of the PS3 seems kind of pointless. It is a CPU with a CPU with some RAM, it can be used for tons of stuff. If Sony allows it.

Hamsterman-SWE
06-30-2011, 05:24 AM
I don't get it. Are you arguing semantics? They aren't talking about Geohotz, they're talking about all the people who hacked their PS3's using the hacks developed by hackers. I'd argue that 99% of all people who have modified their PS3 play pirated games. If not 100%.The lack of homebrew is a large indicator of this. I'd love to have more homebrew and emulators but it seems people (gamers or dev) aren't all that interested in it. Multiman on the other hand..So why do people hack their PS3's? To get free content. Quite obvious. Sony are correct.
So you say that geohot hacked his ps3 just to play pirated software instead of using other OS?
Then tell me why the original geohot hack don't play pirated software and the modified code play the pirated software.
And tell us that sony is right in this one don't make any sense at all.
If I go out to buy a horse today with sonys name on it and give them meat instead of hay, sony would burst into flames and say that they are trying to ride on the horse with pirated meats.

Nocuddle
06-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Im hacking my PS3 so I can play those shiets games for free.

BUT I will buy my next Uncharted 3 & Resistance 3 games. I've got the originals of the previous prequel.

So just let me go online with my jailbreak PS3 to play those 2 games pretty plllzzzzzzzz s0ny???

mattias800
06-30-2011, 06:25 AM
So you say that geohot hacked his ps3 just to play pirated software instead of using other OS?

Since your first assumption is wrong, the rest of your post is pointless. Did you even read my post?

To reiterate myself:
"They aren't talking about Geohotz, they're talking about all the people who hacked their PS3's using the hacks developed by hackers."

mattias800
06-30-2011, 06:26 AM
If I go out to buy a horse today with sonys name on it and give them meat instead of hay, sony would burst into flames and say that they are trying to ride on the horse with pirated meats.

That is the most retarded comparison I've read in quite some time.

trancehead
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
That is the most retarded comparison I've read in quite some time.
LMAO, yeah ditto, sony horsestation, it only eats everything.

fuuuuuu
06-30-2011, 08:50 AM
and that each individual user had to download and install the package for off the internet on a separate PC, and install command-line.... Same thing with all of the other bullshit comparisons...Other OS was a tacked-in thing that was half-disabled from the get-go anyway! It wasn't like Sony had a fresh copy of Linux included pre-loaded on the PS3 in the retail box.

Hmm?

Maybe I was given some dodgy knock off but my Fat came bundled with Yellow Dog in the retail box with full simple instructions to install it. :confused:

Xenogears V
06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Free games?. Not a bad idea.

dsav
06-30-2011, 09:35 AM
hackers want the challenge and fame, most anyway.

piracy is just a by product usually, (but yeah a good amount of people want it) if it's possible then it will be there and many people will take advantage of it.

nuff said.

msanchez
06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Sorry, but you can't compare Other OS removal (a minor side-addition to the PS3's capabilities at launch likely included so that they could categorize the PS3 as a PC and not a toy in Europe) to "losing 1/4 of your TV channels"...maybe if those TV channels were odd, highly technical stations that only 1 in 1,000,000 people even knew were part of your TV package and that you had to have technical knowledge to even access...

I admit I didn't read your post entirely, but I just like to point out that right there you proved to be arguing a different point. Essential, optional, irrelevant, doesn't matter what OtherOS was to you, me, or anybody else. The point is we had the option and it was taken away from us. That you used it or not, is the one thing that is truly irrelevant.

...I'd argue that 99% of all people who have modified their PS3 play pirated games. If not 100%...

The 360's dominant software sales would seem to argue against this. Never before has it been so clear just how little effect piracy has on a consoles software sales. We had 2 consoles that had "rampant" piracy dominate software sales while the "secure" console was lagging behind.

Of course, I won't deny that even people who don't pirate might try out a game even if it's a rip of a game that they own (not really piracy I guess). I'll agree that the majority wants to play free games, but not 99% and most certainly not 100%

Mchief298
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Why is Sony still so one sided about this? They're like a coin... That no matter how many times you flip it, even if you cheated you'd still get heads.... Let's be honest here. Hacking your shitty servers and breaking your shitty security isn't piracy... Not in the slightest. Not to mention, your sales have always been poor anyway.. Even for being the untouched console for so many years. Don't give yourself a big ego.. You haven't innovated the market. You're not in the lead, and you're definitely not favorable over Microsoft. Especially not right now... Your security is breached and you cry to your lawyers instead of taking the money and putting it toward something better.. Hell you could have even hired GeoHot and them to prevent future horrors like that..

realshompa
06-30-2011, 02:16 PM
People forget that PS3 was hacked with the Linux/other boot option.It was first after this hack that Sony removed OtherOS. So: if some stupid hacker had not hacked the system, we still could run Linux on PS3. BTW: Linux was always useless on PS3 since the the hypervisor blocked part of GPU/CPU. Still: It is proved that piracy only cost companies 5%. People who pirate stuff would not buy the stuff if they did not pirate it.

mattias800
06-30-2011, 03:51 PM
The 360's dominant software sales would seem to argue against this. Never before has it been so clear just how little effect piracy has on a consoles software sales. We had 2 consoles that had "rampant" piracy dominate software sales while the "secure" console was lagging behind.

Of course, I won't deny that even people who don't pirate might try out a game even if it's a rip of a game that they own (not really piracy I guess). I'll agree that the majority wants to play free games, but not 99% and most certainly not 100%

Totally agree, except with the last sentence :)
I'm actually not against pirating. I have been pirating for pretty much every console I've had. And history speaks plain language, hacked consoles sell better (and often sell more games) than not hacked consoles. I just don't buy this talk about people not modding their consoles to play pirated games. Like I said, homebrew and emulators are awesome (I've spent more time with emulators on my PSP than on official games), but I'm not gonna try and pretend that this is a large reason for the hacks.

msanchez
06-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Totally agree, except with the last sentence :)
I'm actually not against pirating. I have been pirating for pretty much every console I've had. And history speaks plain language, hacked consoles sell better (and often sell more games) than not hacked consoles. I just don't buy this talk about people not modding their consoles to play pirated games. Like I said, homebrew and emulators are awesome (I've spent more time with emulators on my PSP than on official games), but I'm not gonna try and pretend that this is a large reason for the hacks.

The for the most part we are in agreement, I just know for a fact that not 100% of hacked consoles are running pirated games. I know for a fact one person that hasn't pirated ANY ps3 software. He's only downloaded one game, and that's a game he already bought.

jku2
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
There is no surprises here, hackers wants to pirate games and get them for free. Anyone who cant see this or denies it is either a hacker themselves or who don't own a PS3 or on the fence. Just saying

msanchez
06-30-2011, 07:53 PM
There is no surprises here, hackers wants to pirate games and get them for free. Anyone who cant see this or denies it is either a hacker themselves or who don't own a PS3 or on the fence. Just saying

I choose:

D) jku2 has no clue.

dvhh
06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I believed that before all the issue, sony pride themselves to have an unhackable PS3 ( some people mentionned that was because sony give hackers what they wanted: linux access ). the primary purpose of the hack was to get more computing power/ better graphics with the RSX.I do think that by removing access to linux sony motivated more hacker to go and try to break the PS3.

mattias800
07-01-2011, 08:08 AM
The for the most part we are in agreement, I just know for a fact that not 100% of hacked consoles are running pirated games. I know for a fact one person that hasn't pirated ANY ps3 software. He's only downloaded one game, and that's a game he already bought.

Thats nice :)
So what Sony should have said is "not all, but most who hack their consoles want free games" and we go back to my first post, where I pointed out that people are arguing semantics :)

They mean "people who hack their consoles", not fail0verflow, and they mean "most", not all. Really not enough incorrectness to justify these kinds of thread replies. But haters gonna hate, logical reasoning is beyond them :)

msanchez
07-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Thats nice :)
So what Sony should have said is "not all, but most who hack their consoles want free games" and we go back to my first post, where I pointed out that people are arguing semantics :)

They mean "people who hack their consoles", not fail0verflow, and they mean "most", not all. Really not enough incorrectness to justify these kinds of thread replies. But haters gonna hate, logical reasoning is beyond them :)

It might be semantics, but that's because of whoever made this statement; maybe if he had said "MOST", "SOME", "A LIL' BIT" (I don't know where you saw he said/implied "most"). To be honest, I don't really care if they say failoverflow are pirates... I'd just laugh at their idiocy, but when they say "people who hack their consoles" I'm included in that group, and if there's one thing I hate more than sony, it's getting blamed for things I didn't do.

ThreeDog
07-01-2011, 01:00 PM
They don't know why they were attacked and they just called everyone with the slightest bit of interest in their hardware pirates. Someone at the company needs to fix that. Are they trying to provoke these people?