PDA

View Full Version : Split-Screen TV Gaming Comes to iOS 5

garyopa
10-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Take That, Wii U - Apple is going to beat you down hard!

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000070/icon.jpg

With iOS 5, Apple is extending Airplay to any third-party app, allowing iPhones and iPads to serve as wireless game controllers for the Apple TV.

The world was amazed when Nintendo demo'ed their new Wii U Controller that has a large screen inside it, and you can wave it around, and see your own personal screen view on the controller where-as the TV had a much larger picture like in the case of multi-player games!

But maybe Nintendo showed their hand too early, as it seems Apple has beat them down to punch-line, with their up-coming iOS 5 release next week, you can do the same thing but even better as it works for up to 4 players, and you can use any of the existing Apple devices, iPad, iTouch, iPhone, iPod.

"Instead of sending a wireless signal from the set-top box to the controller, as the Wii U will do, Airplay sends a signal from the phone or tablet to the Apple TV. What's interesting here is that the TV can show a composite image from multiple iPhones and iPads. The game changes because you're seeing something different on the larger display from what's on your individual screen. I'm sure we'll see more apps designed to take advantage of this iOS 5 feature.

Is Airplay gaming reason enough to buy an Apple TV and four iPod Touches? Of course not. But if you've got an Apple TV, chances are you've already got at least one other iOS device. Or if you own a bunch of iOS devices, the Apple TV's $99 price isn't bad for a simple multiplayer game console.

This is another example of TVs and set-top boxes doing what previously required a dedicated game system."

Did Apple just basically slam-dunk themselves into the large video gaming market with ease with this new iOS 5 option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxj1QuKebdQ

NEWS SOURCE: Technologizer (http://technologizer.com/2011/10/07/take-that-wii-u-split-screen-tv-gaming-comes-to-ios-5/)

billysastard
10-08-2011, 08:42 PM
looks nice but still the same i-crap issues, no real controller and i dont want to buy a new games console every 9-12 months to play the latest games.

put it this way, by the time wii u comes out i'm sure that you'll be needing an ifad 3 (or 4) to play the newest games and whilst i'll still be playing the latest games on the wii u at the end of that console generation isheep will be needing their ifad 8 or 9. for the cost of keeping up to date i could buy a launch ps4 + wii u + nextbox and still have change to buy a 3dsi and a psv with games for all of them.

JonathanD
10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
looks nice but still the same i-crap issues, no real controller and i dont want to buy a new games console every 9-12 months to play the latest games.

put it this way, by the time wii u comes out i'm sure that you'll be needing an ifad 3 (or 4) to play the newest games and whilst i'll still be playing the latest games on the wii u at the end of that console generation isheep will be needing their ifad 8 or 9. for the cost of keeping up to date i could buy a launch ps4 + wii u + nextbox and still have change to buy a 3dsi and a psv with games for all of them.

The only thing from Apple that I ever bought was my 120GB iPod classic, I figured that even 10 years from now I will probably still like music so it felt safe to buy. Aside from that one purchase I tend to avoid Apple products like the plague.

Another thing is that at this point in time I would be worried about buying anything from Apple... Apple went from being #1 in home PC's then firing Jobs (The Apple IIe out sold every other system out for years...) to being less then 5% of the market until Jobs came back into the picture and even then they never really recovered in the PC market. The other markets Apple has its hands in are all pretty much Jobs's kids.... I suspect Apple is in for some rough times ahead.

dreary79
10-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Take That, Wii U - Apple is going to beat you down hard!

That is a great quote. Nintendo sucks! The fad is over, Nintendo. Oh wait... are millions of crappy iOS games a fad as well?

Captain N1
10-10-2011, 11:35 PM
well apple dont have mario, zelda, metroid,star fox, animal crossing, mario kart, pokemon, monster hunter,f-zero
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it apple.

billysastard
10-11-2011, 12:43 AM
well apple dont have mario, zelda, metroid,star fox, animal crossing, mario kart, pokemon, monster hunter,f-zero
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it apple.

they dont have steve jobs anymore either

seriously though,they dont have god of war, syphon filter, uncharted, lbp, resistence or killzone but thats not stopping gameloft ;)