PDA

View Full Version : Wii U is not a 'next generation' console

garyopa
10-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Nintendo's upcoming game console, the Wii U, is not really a 'next-generation' platform!

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000104/icon.jpg

'The Wii U is a pretty ambitious undertaking,' Pachter told Industry Gamers. 'It's a new console, with new controls and architecture, but it's not quite 'next' generation.'

Nintendo recently being slammed in the media by market analyst's, maybe because their sales are down, and the Wii is slipping in overall marketshare.

But now they are also pissing on the new Wii-U, claiming even tho it has HD graphics, it is not 'next-gen', and everything will be just bad ports from the other existing consoles like Xbox 360 and PS3, no exclusive ground-breaking new games. (Well, not from third-party that is forsure, they forgot Nintendo loves their own internal brands!)

Nintendo's decision to release a new console next year is somewhat of a surprise, since the company's competitors are reportedly not planning to release new hardware until 2014--when, some believe, the true "next generation" will begin.

The issue for Nintendo is that the company's current-generation device, the Wii, is behind the curve. Although the console has sold extremely well over the years, it lacks HD graphics and the graphical sophistication to compete visually with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. With the Wii U, Nintendo is addressing that problem with HD graphics and better internal components, but there is some fear that the device's visuals will only match those of the consoles already on the market.

That said, Nintendo has little choice but to release the Wii U as soon as possible.

But then Nintendo pulled that plan the last time, the Wii was behind the others, but it worked sales were a hit, and the shovelware of titles was mind-blogging.

Will it work the second time around, so what if it is fad and dies out and collects tons of dust in the living room (My Wii does), as long as you rack it in at first, and shovel out the titles cheap and fast, I can get Wii titles for alot less in stores then other platforms.

Still no date from Nintendo on when Wii U is coming, as this Xmas it is just planning on little more color (a Blue Wii, with no Gamecube support), and some hot titles! :)

NEWS SOURCE: Wii U is NOT 'next-gen' (via) CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20118508-17/wii-u-is-not-a-next-generation-console-analyst-says/)

SuperCaculo
10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
this analytic is so full of it! there's no whay to know if the wii u is going to get 3 party support or not when the console is a launching in a year!(it probably wont but you cant be so arrogation) and yeah the declined in sales of the Wii. if the wii stops sales today it would take years for the ps3 and xbox to catch up to it. everyone i know has a dust collection under their tv. i hate analytic and their stupid predictions. the wii u is not a next gen console? because the graphics are not better then the ps3 or the xbox? where is he getting his info because all the news(rumors) that i have read about the wii u is that it is as powerful as the ps3 or more. and even if its not. the wii is not that much more than a ps2 or xbox and it is the clear winner this generation around. by that standards it make things worst to say that the xbox 360 and ps3 lost to a last gen console.

JonathanD
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Going to have to disagree with Mr Pachter on this one... The PS4 and the 720 may turn out to be more powerful then the Wii-U but I honestly doubt it will be by very much (I am going off the current leaked Wii-U supposed specs) The real issue is that right now CPU companies are stuck adding cores into machines. After a while more cores or more threads has diminishing returns.

Either way it should be interesting to see, maybe there will be some sort of massive break through after the Wii-U launches but before Sony's and Microsoft's machines, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Captain N1
10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
so what does this moron consider next gen? a holo deck?

billysastard
10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
who do i trust, the devs who are working with the wii u who say its a lot more powerful than ps3 or 360 and this cockhead who some days seems to have an amazing ability to reverse his digestive tract.

trancehead
10-11-2011, 10:03 PM
The Wii was last gen, and look what happened.
The Wii U is finally this gen, and will probably sell very well again, then the gimmick will wear off and it will gather dust next to the wii.

Xenogears V
10-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Wii still points on the fun, but today, console needs graphics and fun. Just look to 3ds. It is a faliure now, because a console with 3d, isn't enought.

mattias800
10-12-2011, 05:13 AM
I disagree.
It won't get tons of exclusives (other than Nintendo titles), but it has the potential to be the go to platform for multiplayer games.
Given it has 3 times the RAM of Xbox360 and PS3 (4 times VRAM compared to PS3) and 5 times more powerful GPU, Battlefield 3 has the potential to look a lot better on Wii U than on Xbox360 or PS3. Same for all other games that are starting to look a lot better on PC than on consoles.

This, in my opinion, combined with the Nintendo titles, can make Wii U a really nice console to own until the next Xbox and Playstation is released.

We know too little about them to say anything about what will happen after they are released.

billysastard
10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Wii still points on the fun, but today, console needs graphics and fun. Just look to 3ds. It is a faliure now, because a console with 3d, isn't enought.

how is it a failure when its outselling the ds at the same point in its lifecycle, i bet nintendo wish it failed as badly as the ds did;)

billysastard
10-12-2011, 10:45 AM
I disagree.
It won't get tons of exclusives (other than Nintendo titles), but it has the potential to be the go to platform for multiplayer games.
Given it has 3 times the RAM of Xbox360 and PS3 (4 times VRAM compared to PS3) and 5 times more powerful GPU, Battlefield 3 has the potential to look a lot better on Wii U than on Xbox360 or PS3. Same for all other games that are starting to look a lot better on PC than on consoles.

This, in my opinion, combined with the Nintendo titles, can make Wii U a really nice console to own until the next Xbox and Playstation is released.

We know too little about them to say anything about what will happen after they are released.

we know enough about sony to know that its not wise to buy anything from them in the future.

{{909}}
10-15-2011, 07:48 AM
same old same old. Is there any document that states what constitues to a generation leap? If its changing the way the whole industry looks at control interfaces then the Wii was the only next generation console of the last generation. If increasing CPU speeds is classed as a generation leap..then I don't want to be a gamer anymore.

Like it or not, the Wii was the best selling console of the last gen, infact one of the best/fastest selling console in history and no matter how many 360 owners want to LOLz over its lack of Gears of War caliber games, it still sold more, and made its manufacturers more money than the competition can dream of.

The Wii-U may not have graphics to compete with Sony and Ms's next 'upgrade' but looking at how well the Wii has done (or how many more Mercedes Benz its added to the CEO's garage), they would be stupid to change the business model. You can all it last gen, does make it any less of a success, any less of a money maker or any less FUN.

Nintendo are being bold with the Wii-U, for the first time in decades, they are first out the blocks, first to put their cards on the table, it may be their biggest mistake, but ruling it out in favour of consoles which don't exist is ridiculous.

JonathanD
10-19-2011, 06:10 PM
same old same old. Is there any document that states what constitues to a generation leap? If its changing the way the whole industry looks at control interfaces then the Wii was the only next generation console of the last generation. If increasing CPU speeds is classed as a generation leap..then I don't want to be a gamer anymore.

Like it or not, the Wii was the best selling console of the last gen, infact one of the best/fastest selling console in history and no matter how many 360 owners want to LOLz over its lack of Gears of War caliber games, it still sold more, and made its manufacturers more money than the competition can dream of.

The Wii-U may not have graphics to compete with Sony and Ms's next 'upgrade' but looking at how well the Wii has done (or how many more Mercedes Benz its added to the CEO's garage), they would be stupid to change the business model. You can all it last gen, does make it any less of a success, any less of a money maker or any less FUN.

Nintendo are being bold with the Wii-U, for the first time in decades, they are first out the blocks, first to put their cards on the table, it may be their biggest mistake, but ruling it out in favour of consoles which don't exist is ridiculous.

The last time Nintendo launched first was with the NES that I can think of, not counting the portable market, maybe they will have the same level of success with the Wii-U.