PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Says No to Skyward Sword Southpaw Mode

garyopa
10-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Those that are left-handed and love to fight with swords in their southpaw, will be out of luck

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000153/icon.jpg

Nintendo will NOT be offering a sword in your left hand like possible with the previous Zelda game, Twlight Princess, in Skyward Sword you will be stuck battleing the monsters with your right arm!

Lefty's are left in the cold this time around with the latest adventure in Zelda land, those picking-up a copy of Skyward Sword on Nov. 20th, better learn fast on how to battle the monsters with the Wii remote in their right-hand!

Last week, I wrote about my experiences as a left-handed person playing The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. To save you the re-reading, I'll let you know that I survived.

I had some trouble playing the game, which seemed tailored for righties, but I got used to it. Some readers, however, wondered if there was a lefty mode. Some even pointed to an IGN report that stated that there is one. I was surprised that none of the Nintendo reps who sat with me while I talked about the game's compatibility for left-handed people had mentioned a lefty mode. None of them was a developer on the game, but they were knowledgeable folks nonetheless.

I e-mailed Nintendo public relations to be sure and even linked them the IGN video, which makes verbal mention of it but doesn't show it, to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Now I've got an official response: Nintendo confirms there's no left-handed mode in the game. Go figure.

This is no tragedy. What it means, I guess, is that Link will hold his sword in his right hand as he did in the Wii version of his previous Zelda console game. Prior to that, he'd been a lefty in all of his most famous games.

Personally, I was born a "lefty", I still sign my name using a pen in my left-hand, but since the dawn of the computer era, the web, , the iPhone, the mouse, even using a soldering iron, I been so custom to using my right-hand it just feels like it should be so, but I can see why some Zelda fans would be upset, as good old Link been allowed to be a lefty in previous games.

NEWS SOURCE: The New Zelda Won’t Have A Lefty Mode After All (via) Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5850671/the-new-zelda-wont-have-a-lefty-mode-after-all)

DiamondKing1976
10-18-2011, 08:15 PM
As a left handed person, I am going to say this is bullshit!

Game manufacturers need to recognize that there are left handed people in this world. Conservative estimates are 10% of people are left handed, however I would guess it to be higher in my experiences.

I have done coding, albeit not game coding, but I don't think it would be that difficult to swap some button mappings for us.

If you are a lefty and tried to play Gunstringer for the 360, almost impossible.

MaxLouarn
10-19-2011, 01:51 AM
I am left handed too, and this is very strange indeed that Nintendo doesn't bother with left-handed people, considering the volume involved there. There is very very few devices now that I can't find for me, and when it happens, it is because it is some hand made stuff, with production of 20 pieces or so. 10% of world population will not appreciate it.

In fact, what is funny is that since the beginning of videogaming, I had the feeling games were made for left-handed people, as all arcade games, and even in controller or on modern planes (with joysticks) the stick is to the left, and buttons on the right, which is the way left handed natural way to play.