PDA

View Full Version : Apple Voted Largest Influence On Gaming Industry‎

garyopa
11-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Steve Jobs Voted Most Influential Man in Video Games, Igniting a Firestorm of Complaints

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000220/icon.jpg

He didn’t develop a single game, console, or arcade machine himself, but according to Eurogamer, the majority of the 1,000 people surveyed 26% believe that Steve Jobs is the man who shaped video games

Move over, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Atari, Valve, you are all nothing in the history books as it seems you all been forgotten in the new high-tech era of Apple and their iPhone, as a recent survey shows:

According to the 1,000 video game industry workers who recently filled out a London Games Conference survey, Steve Jobs and the iPhone have been the biggest influences in the gaming field.

That puts Jobs - who received 26 per cent of the vote - ahead of Valve's Gabe Newell (16 per cent), Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto (seven per cent), Tim Berners-Lee (four per cent), and Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg (three per cent).

Product-wise, the iPhone (17 per cent) managed to topple Nintendo's motion-controlled Wii (seven per cent), Microsoft's Xbox Live service (three per cent), Sony's rather excellent PSone (three per cent), and online distribution platform Steam (two per cent).

46 per cent of all those polled in this survey included Steve Jobs somewhere in their top five influences, with 53 per cent including the iPhone.

Very strange, but if you look at the resumes for the 1,000 people that voted you see why, they are all 'working' for smaller-time developers most of these studios would have never existed if it was not for the 'app store' on the iPhone.

Noone from EA, or other big companies were included in this survey, so really the outcome would be more directed towards Apple!

NEWS SOURCE: Survey Says! (via) EuroGamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-02-games-industry-votes-apple-as-biggest-influence)

Retroboy
11-03-2011, 08:46 AM
probably because half of those who did the survey are dumb a$$es who cant tell the difference in gaming and a mobile device.

steve jobs had nothing to do with games, he was the phone which for gaming is pretty sh1te, sure has nice graphics on some games, but lacks battery life, also touch screen, your fingers just get in the way all the time.

so if you ask me, the best influencial mobile gaming device (for mobile phones) has to be the experia (no not because its sony) because it actually has a control pad which opens mobile phone gaming to better things (if devs were to make it)

the iphone is the worse phone ive had, my andriod was better, r.i.p :(

crono
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
???¿¿¿¿ Whahahahhahaha :D

Yes and Nintendo have the largest influence on OS,sony have the largest influence on tablets and sega in making console's,that fail!!!!!,lol latest is true!!!!

billysastard
11-03-2011, 09:18 AM
so 26% of people are so incredibly stupid they should be put down to help preserve the human race.

if that accolade belongs to anyone then it should be either the xerox parc team or more directly to nolan bushnell who whilst admittedly not a renowned programmer (his work was pretty messy) he did manage to found pretty much the entire videogame industry before turning to chuck e cheese:eek:

steve jobs however was little more than a turd polisher and renowned wearer of the shiniest emperors new clothes.

billysastard
11-03-2011, 09:22 AM
so if you ask me, the best influencial mobile gaming device (for mobile phones) has to be the experia (no not because its sony) because it actually has a control pad which opens mobile phone gaming to better things (if devs were to make it)

the iphone is the worse phone ive had, my andriod was better, r.i.p :(

most influential portable gaming device has to be the gameboy and if you are talking about mobile phone gaming then i'd give that to whoever decided to put "snake" on a billion nokia phones.

i bet your android phone even broken is still better at making calls than your i-justdroppedanothercallphone;)

HugeGorrila
11-03-2011, 09:47 AM
WTF? lol :D

Retroboy
11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
gameboy was a console tho not a mobile phone, i was refairing to a mobile phone that actually can be used as a mobile games system that is better than the ibone simply because experia added controlls i hate games on the ibone simply because your thumbs get int the way also having to tilt your head to see a screen properly as you tilt the ibone to turn is annoying.

JonathanD
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
so 26% of people are so incredibly stupid they should be put down to help preserve the human race.

if that accolade belongs to anyone then it should be either the xerox parc team or more directly to nolan bushnell who whilst admittedly not a renowned programmer (his work was pretty messy) he did manage to found pretty much the entire videogame industry before turning to chuck e cheese:eek:

steve jobs however was little more than a turd polisher and renowned wearer of the shiniest emperors new clothes.

But where would we be with out the Pippin? lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin

I forgive you if you have never heard of it before... I think some one on this forum posted a link to this article and I honestly had never heard of it before myself... LOL

billysastard
11-03-2011, 01:15 PM
But where would we be with out the Pippin? lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin

I forgive you if you have never heard of it before... I think some one on this forum posted a link to this article and I honestly had never heard of it before myself... LOL

no i remember it, i've even seen one , but wasnt that released whist st steve was fired before he made his resurrection with the i-mac

MaDDaWg836
11-03-2011, 01:40 PM
BREAKING NEWS - This survey was done in Cupertino.

WoIverine
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Jobs is what!?

Bill Gates is more of a gaming influence by far than Jobs is, Xbox, etc. Hell, Miyamoto and many other Japanese devs trump both of them. I have to agree with Nolan Bushnell though, he is literally the industry founder. That being said, I'd pay big money to see Itagaki go MK all over David Jaffe. Maybe add Cliffy B for a free for all. Then throw in the chicks from G4 as cheerleaders? Win.

JouDoos
11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
What a fucking joke! The biggest influence is Shigeru Miyamoto, even though I hate Nintendo

Ahmed_p800
11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Whaaaaaaat the Faaaaaaack is that??!!!!!
is that survey for real? o_O .... STEVE JOBS? (RIP)
OMG, gaming industry is going down the toilet if this continues! X(

but again, as most of you guys said, those are mostly iphone games developers, but still, sad and disappointing...and shocking!

DEDDOA
11-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I take it they mean that consoles are immitating apple with low price to performance ratio v PC's with equally limited effectiveness and upgrade options :p

MaxLouarn
11-04-2011, 01:53 AM
I would say also Miyamoto if I could only name one.
But Steve Jobs, although indirectly, is not total non-sense.
For me the first gaming platform was the Apple II, before the C64, but obviously you need to be 40 to know that. Was also the computer that invented game piracy btw :). And that is a Wozniak/Jobs product, and although i did not play for many years - I mean very seldom - now the iPhone/iPad make me play, and created a revolution in gaming. As although some will argue, I think the day of portable consoles are over. Future of portable gaming is tablets and smart phones, which were popularized again by Jobs.

billysastard
11-04-2011, 03:11 AM
For me the first gaming platform was the Apple II, before the C64, but obviously you need to be 40 to know that. Was also the computer that invented game piracy btw :). And that is a Wozniak/Jobs product, and although i did not play for many years - I mean very seldom - now the iPhone/iPad make me play, and created a revolution in gaming. As although some will argue, I think the day of portable consoles are over. Future of portable gaming is tablets and smart phones, which were popularized again by Jobs.

apple 2 came well after the atari arcade machines which started the ball rolling.

MaxLouarn
11-04-2011, 04:54 AM
apple 2 came well after the atari arcade machines which started the ball rolling.

Atari is for sure one of the great contributor to videogaming. Again my point is just that Steve Jobs vote is not that stupid. People mention a lot C64, Amiga etc. but Apple II was first one. Atari 2600 can be seen as the start of console gaming, but Apple II is the start of computer gaming. And iPhone/iPad the start of casual 'everywhere' gaming. So quite a contribution to gaming, although I am not sure if they even meant it.

JonathanD
11-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Loved me some Conan and Zork on the old IIe, back in the early 80's... Of course when I got home I was busy playing my 2600 for some real games. The Atari 2600 launched in the same year as the original Apple II and comparing the 2 is funny, the Apple II was not a gaming platform even though in later years it did get some good games but most of those games required at least a II+ or IIe.

Apple's influence on the gaming industry is minuscule at best I don't think Apple them selves published a single game for the II but I could be wrong. I do know that Apple pushed big time for the Apple II in the school system and a lot of people got a little taste of Math Blaster on it but that probably did more to harm gaming then help it...

I find it so weird that my first experience with a video game was an Atari, with paddles you could play "hockey" or pong at home! Apple for me was a very late comer and I refuse to count Turtle as a game... lol

wewii
11-04-2011, 11:01 AM
WHAT?!?!

How is apple the largest influence on the gaming industry?

Or do these fanboy iDIOTS just have their heads up their ass?

Mobile will never be a legitimate gaming industry for the next 10 years. Even existing hand held consoles can be questioned about their legitimacy of influence on the gaming industry.

billysastard
11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Atari is for sure one of the great contributor to videogaming. Again my point is just that Steve Jobs vote is not that stupid. People mention a lot C64, Amiga etc. but Apple II was first one. Atari 2600 can be seen as the start of console gaming, but Apple II is the start of computer gaming. And iPhone/iPad the start of casual 'everywhere' gaming. So quite a contribution to gaming, although I am not sure if they even meant it.

it is that stupid, atari was making arcade games when apple was thinking about the apple 1, as jon d said the apple][ didnt really play games beyond a teletype level until the ][e launched and even then it was companies like scott adams, broderbund, infocom, sierra online, ssi and avalon hill that were making the games, nothing to do with jobs OR apple, in fact when the atari 400/800 launched that was what really kickstarted the home computer as a gaming system despite what apple and tandy might want to claim, with its "fast" processor, multi channel sound (and digitised sound / speech) and 256 colour graphics it was a huge leap from the 1 channel sound and 8 colour palette of the apple, the fact it had 4 joystick ports and a cart port (or two) and a tv output included further pushed its gaming cred, then commodore did a nintendo on them by bringing out the slower, far less capable but much cheaper commodore 64 and crushed the atari.

i think you'd find the atari pong system would be considered the start of home console gaming and the fairchild system f as the start of cart based home consoles.

oh and i think the nintendo ds may want a little word about casual everywhere gaming and lets not forget as i said before the fact that nokia introduced games to cell phones (and cameras and smartphones although they were second with colour behind ericsson) and i'm pretty sure you can thank java for apps, games and emulators / homebrew on cellphones long long before apple made their first phone.

yet again, apple has contributed nothing to gaming let alone being its largest influence, in fact its utterly irrelevant.

oh, although nowhere near the level of nolan bushnel i guess when it comes to home computers and games some credit should also be given to clive sinclairs team of designers because their ultra cheap, ultra crap home computers created an army of bedroom programmers who went on to found some of the best known companies of yesteryear like rare (ultimate), codemasters, ocean (spectrum games), psygnosis, mastertronic.

maybe also some credit to ocean for being the first company to ever licence a game as opposed to just ripping off others work, ocean for being the first to sue a pirate (or in one case send a couple of heavies round to threaten one), atari for being the first with a drm sysstem, atari being the first to sue another games company for ip theft (see even atari beat apple at suing competitors, only difference was they had a valid reason) and maybe sierra online for infecting the world with the forerunner to just about every non sports game now released with capture the flag and way out (the birth of the 3d shooter) previous 3d games were drawn one frame at a time so you couldnt just run around them.

fartman
11-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe it was a big influence for game distributors to see how he ripped off Steve Wozniak on the redesign of the Breakout machines...
Jobs shared his $750 wage he got for this project, but secretly kept the $5000 bonus he got for Wozniak´s elimination of 50 chips in the design.
Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout_%28video_game%29)

Captain N1
11-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Steve Jobs as most influential Personal computer founder yeah but not video games. for video games id have to hand it to Miyamoto. His creations brought video games back from the dead. Alos of developers out that have admitted that they were influenced by Miyamoto.