PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Disc Manufacturer Strengthens Security

garyopa
11-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Millivision Non-Radiating Scanning Systems used to prevent loss of 'Yet-To-Be-Released' game titles

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000258/icon.jpg

Each year more then $10 billion of company property is stolen by workers at manufacturing facilities, distribution centers and warehouses worldwide.

We all have seen the 'press coverage' regarding the reason because the early version's of 'MW3' appearing on the 'net after a leak from a disc manufacturer plant, well it seems one company has decided to put it's foot down and has picked Millivision advanced object detection scanning systems to prevent employee theft.

Millivision systems are a major advance from traditional metal detection systems, employing safe, fast and far more effective passive millimeter wave technology.

Unlike x-ray or active scanning systems which subject people and operators to radiation with each scan, Millivision systems use passive millimeter wave technology, enabling customers to achieve the highest level of security and detection without the use of radiation or other harmful emissions.

Millivision systems detect not only metal items hidden under clothing but also non-metallic items such as the DVDs and CDs produced and stored at the manufacturer's manufacturing and warehousing facilities.

Songs, movies and games are the intellectual property of recording artists, movie studios and video game developers. The manufacturer wanted to set a high industry standard, assuring owners of IP that their property would be protected from the time it is mastered and throughout its retail life cycle.

The company is in the process of putting a Millivision system at every entrance/exit of its warehouse and manufacturing/production centers. The company had been scanning employees with metal detectors, but found the Millivision system to be superior.

After investigating and testing many available systems and ruling out those based on x-ray and active millimeter wave technology, the company chose Millivision.

Millivision has delivered and installed over a dozen systems to date with deployments at additional sites planned for 2012.

"As the deployment of Millivision's advanced detection systems demonstrates, there is a new, more powerful -- yet safer -- option for organizations working to address the real and growing problem of employee theft," said Millivision president Paul Nicholas. "Millivision has a solution for businesses and government agencies seeking more effective ways to stop employee theft. Our systems can detect small high-value computing, navigation and communication devices, software, weapons and, as is the case in this deployment, software, DVDs, video games, Blu-Ray discs and CDs. While deterring, detecting and preventing theft is essential, preserving employee safety and dignity is a necessity. Millivision's passive millimeter wave technology is the answer."

I doubt all this 'high-tech' technology will stop the early 'warez' leaks, they will just find a 'weaker' link to exploit in the chain!

NEWS SOURCE: Press Release (via) MarketWatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/leading-cd-dvd-video-game-disc-manufacturer-turns-to-millivision-to-strengthen-security-and-further-combat-employee-theft-while-ensuring-workplace-safety-privacy-2011-11-08)

billysastard
11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
I doubt all this 'high-tech' technology will stop the early 'warez' leaks, they will just find a 'weaker' link to exploit in the chain!

like dropping the disc out of the toilet window to collect later or get collected, or ripping the disc at work, heck why not take the silver foil you wrap your packed lunch in home to recycle ;)

WoIverine
11-08-2011, 04:17 PM
32gb flash drive...iso2god. Millivision = waste of money, can they send us the checks instead? Split it with you guys, haha. :very_drunk:

billysastard
11-08-2011, 04:26 PM
32gb flash drive...iso2god. Millivision = waste of money, can they send us the checks instead? Split it with you guys, haha. :very_drunk:

perhaps they call it millivision because most people can see a million ways around it ;)

Xenogears V
11-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Oh wow, CIA and FBI have to lern from them. (sarcastic). :D;):rolleyes:

JonathanD
11-08-2011, 08:19 PM
So how much will this system cost per factory? I know they spewed out a 10 Billion dollar number world wide for losses, but if that cost is split over a million factories thats really not that much loss per factory per year.

So if this system costs a million dollars per factory to use and it only catches say half the people, it will take like 20 years or something for the system to break even?

Not knowing specific numbers, I am sure this system isn't cheap and they probably have to pay monthly fee's for monitoring. Sometimes the cure is worse then the disease.

kneehighspy
11-09-2011, 07:00 AM
why don't they do like some of the old drug dealers did in the early 80's and make people be naked while they work 'making the product', to make sure their product doesn't walk out the door?

wewii
11-09-2011, 07:11 AM
This technology is very degrading to peoples dignity and violates their right to privacy. Not to mention its working theory is guilty until proven innocent.

MaxLouarn
11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
In my young days, when I used to be on the dark side :) , all the releases were given to us by the developers themselves, as they were themselves past or still active crackers/hackers, or press which had access to games for early review, because they were part of the scene.
I don't know how it is today, but I am pretty sure it is the same, and I doubt that stealing at the factory has much to do with this kind of the releases.
However hopefully such technology will be useful to protect people in many other situations.