PDA

View Full Version : Game piracy up 20% in five years

garyopa
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Concerns about 'something for nothing' culture

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000277/icon_xl.jpg

Illegal video game downloads have risen 20 per cent over the last five years, according to figures from research firm Envisional.

As well as the increase in pirated games, Envisional's stats also show that the five top games of 2010 were illegally accessed online almost one million times.

The gaming industry is keen to highlight to users that pirating games now can damage future console games because the blockbuster titles cost "real money" to produce.

"[Some] 200, 250 people sat in a studio for two years building the latest Modern Warfare 3. This costs real money,"

Lots of 'media' coverage today regarding 'piracy' on video gaming consoles, even tho today in the sales figures, good old Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, broke all-time record sales, and overall the 'game industry' sales are way up, even with today's state of global jobs and money problems.

Investors are even been stating now is the 'time' to invest in companies like EA and such, as they are raking in 'billions'!

NEWS SOURCE: Illegal Downloads (via) TechRader (http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/game-piracy-up-20-in-five-years-1040381)

billysastard
11-11-2011, 06:23 PM
well, it looks like all that day 1 dlc, content being removed, single use dlc codes, always on drm, **** single player offline campaigns and online passes are really starting to do their job...

...assuming that their job is to drive people to piracy.

DEDDOA
11-11-2011, 06:29 PM
To save anyone else the effort i'll say it :)

Piracy doesn't equal lost sales, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 100 copies of a game you were never going to buy, each copy is not a lost sale as it was never going to be purchased int he first place, hence the reason why publishers are going after second hand sales.

My view has always been that piracy is largely down to the actual cost of games, now I know games cost a lot to make these days and publishers need to recoup the costs and make a profit, but if they are doing that when the gamesa re on sale a few months after lauch at less than half price, then surely they can do that form the start and get fewer lost sales. In all honesty things like piracy are not really having that big an impact and there is little need for a price war or price drop to entice customers as sales seem to be doing fine as is. Even second hand sales aren't aht big a threat or else the publiushers would price second hand games out of the market by lowering prices, however they know there is still money to be made so again no need for them to change anything.

Z3R0B4NG
11-11-2011, 06:43 PM
piracy up 20% in five years compared to what?
and how many % growth of the gaming market was recorded for the same time? (if that is less than 20% the argument might be vaild...)

without that data the number is not worth anything.

do not believe a statistic that you have not faked yourself.

iLLNESS
11-11-2011, 07:07 PM
the numbers are false. they are taking the sony approach on this one..

$100 says they didnt compare the expansion of the market making their figures bullshit.

ill bet using their numbers sales have also risen %20.

example:
1996, 1000 games are pirated, 2000 games are sold. thats a %33 'loss' in sales.
10 years later 2006, 2000 games are pirated, 4000 games are sold. thats a %33 loss in sales still, but piracy has increased %100.

seems a bit off doesnt it? yeah because they likely arent accounting for the increase in sales either.

the only way a statistic like this is valid is if the total sales has stayed stagnent. and by stagnent i dont mean its increased the same % each year, i mean its increased from the previous year in general.

BUT HEY! an article like this would sure draw peoples attention because most wont look into the numbers themselves.

Xenogears V
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
It is normal, people are in full crisis.

JonathanD
11-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Hmmm the numbers might be right, in a down economy people have less money to spend on luxury items. You can pirate a game and save that cash for things like food or something and still get your game on.

Not endorsing piracy or anything else just one possible explanation if these numbers are true.

MaDDaWg836
11-12-2011, 02:20 PM
The reason for piracy is being on the rise is because of one word and possible one company that is raking in 'billions'. Microtransactions. I remember when i could buy a game and have the FULL game instead of having to pay 20$ extra for more content on the damn disc. Thanks EA.

MadonnaProject
11-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Oh come on. Piracy was MUCH MUCH more rampant in the days of the xbox ps3 and gamecube. Most of these consoles could be hacked via software. I hardly know of anyone who had actual games.

On current gen I know many MANY more people who buy originals.

Even pc gaming is on the rise.

YET - we are in an era where games need to sell in the millions to recoup their money. Before you could sell a 100,000 and still be in the profits.

Gaming has gotten more expensive than ever. Gaming companies are charging more for the same content which should be free. DLC, day 1 downloads, online codes. Its just crap. The videogaming industry is to blame for its state. No one else.

CharmedonWB
11-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Yes perhaps the numbers are true that piracy has grown by 20% in the last five years but look at the sales numbers and see how they have increased. So since these people like to use @ssbackwards logic then I too will employ it: increased piracy equates to increased sales!

JonathanD
11-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes perhaps the numbers are true that piracy has grown by 20% in the last five years but look at the sales numbers and see how they have increased. So since these people like to use @ssbackwards logic then I too will employ it: increased piracy equates to increased sales!

Some say that piracy does increase sales, and there is some I guess you would call it evidence to back it up? CD sales where at record highs when Napster was in full swing, RIAA shut it down and started suing fans left and right. Since then CD sales have fell out the floor.

I know on my end once Metallica started suing fans when they themselves where making insane amounts of money, I stopped buying CD's entirely at that point in time and to this day I have not purchased a single CD. Before then I used to buy a CD about every week.

I listen to Pandora on the computer and the radio in my car, it annoys me that the RIAA might get some money from those two channels some how...

Piracy may also increase sales due to reviews, pirates make great reviewers.... The lack of risk and lack of budget constraints makes it easy for them to try new games/music/movies and recommend them to friends who in turn will do the same, its a big chain and breaking that first link probably does more damage in the long run then good.

I also think piracy when its too easy can hurt just as much as help, I believe the Amiga was pretty much killed off by pirates? (Not an expert on that issue but I have heard piracy killed it off.) Piracy has to be just hard enough to keep the general population from doing it, but still possible by a few % to help sales.

Please take this whole post with a huge huge grain of salt as this is all just theory with no way of proving any of it, the closest thing to proof would be some anecdotal evidence that could be inaccurate at best and at worst just plain wrong.

msanchez
11-16-2011, 02:51 PM
... did I miss something? Did any of you get a "do you pirate media" census card or something? I sure as hell didn't receive mine. I mean if they aren't shipping these out, how do they spout this nonsense?

You want to know in what there's a 20% difference in the last five years? The amount of functioning brain cells amongst game industry executives. These idiots are a damn cancer on society.

JonathanD
11-18-2011, 02:20 PM
... did I miss something? Did any of you get a "do you pirate media" census card or something? I sure as hell didn't receive mine. I mean if they aren't shipping these out, how do they spout this nonsense?

You want to know in what there's a 20% difference in the last five years? The amount of functioning brain cells amongst game industry executives. These idiots are a damn cancer on society.

I didn't get one... lol

The only thing I can come up with is that maybe they are tracking public torrents and maybe private ones. Those numbers would be really really off though, I suspect a lot of the downloads from torrent sites go to people who don't have the ability to run the stuff they are downloading in the first place.

Just read the 10 pages or so of comments on tpb for any torrent of a game, some of them are quite funny. "I have downloaded this torrent 3 times and burned 8 copies!!! Why will this not work for me!!! Do I need to have a mod chip???" always worth a laugh. My other favorite is "My PC has 512MB's of RAM is that enough to run Black Ops??? My computer crashes when I try to run it!!!" lol

So tracking torrent downloads is a very inaccurate way of guessing how much piracy is going on.