PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: EA to supply Wii-U online service?

garyopa
11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
EA Origin to be a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy?

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000280/icon_xl.jpg

Wiiugo claims they have exclusive news tip, from anonymous sources that EA is going to be handling the 'online' part of Nintendo's up-coming Wii-U console which will be similar to Xbox Live but better

The rumour mill is in overdrive over an expected announcement that Electronic Arts and its Origin service is to become the partner of Nintendo in its upcoming Wii-U console with Nintendo providing the hardware and EA providing the Origin online service allowing cross platform chat and gaming across PC and Wii as well as a unified EA origin login across both platforms.

Is this the type of service that Nintendo needs or will it have folks running into the arms of M$ once Nintendo's "new ways to play" turns into "new ways to pay" as the ever greedy bastards at EA find new ways to charge Nintendo users for every possible thing they can think of.

Our valued Maxconsole member 'Billysastard' thinks this is a disaster waiting to happen and that Nintendo might have made a better choice with Steam although he guesses it would mean that in exchange for looking the other way at EA's anti-consumer greed Nintendo would benefit from being the lead platform from all its developers and would no doubt get special treatment to encourage gamers to chose Wii-U as their platform of choice to get more people on Origin.

Here is the full 'original' exclusive news item from 'WiiUGo' that started some of these rumors:

We received a tip from an EA intern with some very interesting information pertaining to the Wii U's online system. Our source, who wishes to remain anonymous, claims that her information comes from a network engineer whom she is friends with. As with all news from anonymous sources, it's difficult to determine its authenticity. But what we received sounds plausible and even explains Peter Moore's relentless excitement for the Wii U.

It's no secret that EA are helping Nintendo develop the Wii U's online service. It will allegedly offer voice- and video-chatting support, leaderboards, and detailed friend lists that tell you who's online and what they're playing. The service aims to offer greater flexibility to publishers than Xbox Live, and EA . From our source:

Many publishers are happy with Xbox Live's features, but they aren't happy with how strict Microsoft's guidelines are. Nintendo went with an open flexible approach with online because when Nintendo asked developers/publishers what they wanted in an online service, that was the number one thing they asked for.

But interestingly, EA are supposedly in talks with Nintendo to try and make Origin, their digital games distribution platform, a key element of Nintendo's online strategy, too. EA would have the chance to bring Origin to the console space and win many new users while Nintendo see it "as an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA nderstands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."

According to our source, EA isn't the only company looking into bringing its digital distribution platform to the Wii U - Valve, too, are interested in getting Steam onto it. But EA are "aggressively persuading Nintendo to go Origins exclusive with Wii U's online so they can gain a competitive advantage over Steam."

Our informant doesn't know how Origin on the Wii U will differ from Origin on the PC, if at all. But if these talks about making it a fundamental part of the Wii U are really happening, it's no surprise that Peter Moore is one of the most enthused Wii U developers out there.

NEWS SOURCE: EA partners with Nintendo for Online (via) WiiUGo (http://wiiugo.com/exclusive-ea-origin-to-be-a-key-element-of-nintendos-online-strategy/)

Our thanks again to 'billysastard' for bringing this news tip to our valued readers!

DEDDOA
11-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Personally I have to agree with Billy here, mainly due tot he fact that I wouldn't want EA getting a cut of ,y profits as well as nitendo if I was a competing publisher. Steam is a far more independent service with a proven track record. I'll admit when steam licked off from being just the valve downloder for beta's and the like with what I assume was Half-Life 2 (may have started before but that was the one that brought it to my attention), I was none to keen on it, but over the years it has proven it's self, and is a name customers know and trust (maybe a little less after the recent issues), wheras whenever I hear Origin, all I think of is Wing Commander, Privateer etc.. I also prefer the idea of a single service for all your games and nintendo going with Steam would be a major step towards that as opposed to further dispersal by going with EA atempt to cash in on the steam success.

I doubt getting in bed with EA would make the WiiU lead platform tho, not unless it made it easier to line EA's pockets, they would still go with the quickest and cheapest option out of the 4 formats that they can port from it with limited costs and loss of quality to the other 3.

I'll reserve judgment ont he better than XBL service, all these similar services make the same claim and yet none have managed it yet with the exception of steam. On the other hand if this does prove to be a successful competitor to XBL then no doubt MS will lower the restriction on developers, tho I have no doubt that will only be if it eats into profits. PSN is meant to much less restrictive to developers, and I know it's always news when some developer makes a big deal about how they are only making a PSN game because XBL is to restrictive, but how many more exclusives does it have due to this, if it's not more thant he XBLA exclusives or a similar number then clearly most developers are more intrested in making the money and less intrested about restrictions. My money is on the the usual case that the claims are exagerated by the media or developers (usually as atempt to gain some bargaining power with whoever they are making the claims about) so the restrictions maybe aren't as heavy as let on.

mattias800
11-15-2011, 06:08 AM
So your judgement is based on old EA hate? Thats just bullshit in my opinion.

If this is true, it would be a HUGE step forward for Nintendo's (awful, AWFUL) online services.
Nintendo's expertise in this area is close to none. Look at their friend code solution. Someone in executive position actually thought that was a good decision.

Nintendo need help here, all the help they can get. And it's urgent, if they don't get online right with Wii U, they could loose the whole hardcore market altogether.
Steam is only a store/distribution system for games. Wii U online services need to be more than that, and it all needs to be integrated in Xbox Live fashion. It should be apps like in the PS3. They need a good in-game menu like Xbox, they need cross game chat, they need parties, they need voice and video, they need background downloads, they need delta patching of games, etc etc. And it all has to be built into the operating system. It needs to run side by side with the games, not only when the games are turned off.
Sony planned this incorrectly for the PS3, thats why they cant get cross game chat to work now.

Why they would need Valve for this is beyond me. EA is the perfect partner for this! EA are experts at online games and services, more so than Microsoft I would argue.

billysastard
11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
So your judgement is based on old EA hate? Thats just bullshit in my opinion.

If this is true, it would be a HUGE step forward for Nintendo's (awful, AWFUL) online services.
Nintendo's expertise in this area is close to none. Look at their friend code solution. Someone in executive position actually thought that was a good decision.

Nintendo need help here, all the help they can get. And it's urgent, if they don't get online right with Wii U, they could loose the whole hardcore market altogether.
Steam is only a store/distribution system for games. Wii U online services need to be more than that, and it all needs to be integrated in Xbox Live fashion. It should be apps like in the PS3. They need a good in-game menu like Xbox, they need cross game chat, they need parties, they need voice and video, they need background downloads, they need delta patching of games, etc etc. And it all has to be built into the operating system. It needs to run side by side with the games, not only when the games are turned off.
Sony planned this incorrectly for the PS3, thats why they cant get cross game chat to work now.

Why they would need Valve for this is beyond me. EA is the perfect partner for this! EA are experts at online games and services, more so than Microsoft I would argue.

i do agree about about nintendo being clueless with online but face facts, ea is one of the most hated companies in gaming for a very good reason whilst at the same time vale is looked on very well by most people and whilst origin is still pretty new steam is a solid and well established platform with millions of happy(ish) users, steam continues to provide support for its games whilst ea have a dark history of closing games servers as soon as they can get away with it, if i buy a game at retail i should at the least expect to be able to play that game for the console cycle i bought it in however 2 companies have chosen to not allow that (ea and of course the masters of consumer fu*king at sony) so i'm not sure i'd be happy at the thought of "metroid online" suddenly not working 6 months after metroid online 2 launches and that would reflect very badly on nintendo especially if ms and sony still have their copies / tributes running.

mattias800
11-15-2011, 08:52 AM
It should NOT be apps like PS3. Type :)

I don't see this EA hate you are talking about, except with a few screaming nerds.
I also don't see the EA servers shutting down way too early.
There is also no indication that Nintendo would allow this to happen.
And there is no indication that EA would manage the production systems.
Also, we don't know if the system could even shut down servers for a specific game. Maybe it will be (it should be!) game agnostic and not care what game you are running. It is simply providing services for that game which enables the game (and OS) to present services to the end user. That is, server are not allocated to individual games, but to the entire service. Like Game Center on iOS. Heh.. Even Game Center is better than Nintendo's worthless service, it is kind of funny.

Not saying that is the way it will be (or would be, if this rumor were true), I am simply saying that you are making wild assumptions which creates a premature opinion.

SuperCaculo
11-15-2011, 08:02 PM
the wii u in that pic looks so small. hell the controller is almost bigger. that gives me no hope at all/ : (

MadonnaProject
11-16-2011, 05:44 PM
I cannot believe nintendo has not come to grips with their own online yet. It is shocking how a lot of people worship this company. Same game over and over. If it was nintendo's way we would still be playing 2d dokey kong in 8 bit.

Retroboy
11-17-2011, 07:17 AM
reason is because nintendo would have to pay for the servers ect to have their own online, and we all know how nintendo hate spending money, look at them, the re release a last gen system and make a hype with a lame controller that sure sounds fancy but to play each and every game with just ends up boring and devs end up releasing the same cr@p.

not to mention lack of media support yet the fans think you shouldnt be allowed the option to play music/movies/media on a console.

end of the day it all boils down to nintendo wanting to spend very little yet produce maximum profits, sure good business idea.

but the problem is, the systems they release are old and cant offer anything that we havent already been playing for the past 5+ years due to the lack of hardware specs the devs have to play with.

but its ok, nintendo fans love them blindly and cant even accept the fact nintendo allways lacks in games compared to MS and Sony.

they (since the GC) now sing its not graphics that makes a game fun, yet back in the GC days ahh GC has better graphics, which true it did, but PS2 for its age still put up a good fight, not to mention again tho had better games than the Cube.

JonathanD
11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
they (since the GC) now sing its not graphics that makes a game fun, yet back in the GC days ahh GC has better graphics, which true it did, but PS2 for its age still put up a good fight, not to mention again tho had better games than the Cube.

If graphics are your real measure of worth then the PS3 and the 360 are like 5 generations back behind the PC, get a good PC and play some games in true 1080P not some upscaled crap with washed out textures and jerky animation.

Ditch those toys come play with the big boys.

Retroboy
11-21-2011, 08:37 AM
lol pc gaming isnt as advanced as you claim, graphically pc games are only slightly higher textures than that of the 360/ps3 and the cost difference.

as if you even tried using this as an example, comparing pc game to that of a 360/ps3 hasnt really got a massive improvement for you to even mention as some kind of defence to the wii vs the ps3/360.

but yes nintendork fanboys now cry graphics dont make games fun, true graphics arent the only thing that makes games fun, but RE4 lets remember that game, all the nintendorks was saying the GC version was better graphics/models to the PS2 version, yup that was true but why is it now its aparently "not improtant"

hmm nothing like been spoon fed what to say/thing by nintendo is it lol if nintendorks say one thing, then next minute say different all because nintendo tell you to.

but to the point of the PS2, the fact is it was a older system, but this is where nintendo FAIL, unlike nintendo sony and MS actually make consoles that has resources to improve over the years, nintendo simply re release last gen hardware that devs have already reached its limits and FAILS to offer anything new other than wow a iFAD controller??

naa thanks, im sure if devs wanted to they could make the add on controller as optional to play games with.

JonathanD
11-22-2011, 03:08 AM
lol pc gaming isnt as advanced as you claim, graphically pc games are only slightly higher textures than that of the 360/ps3 and the cost difference.

as if you even tried using this as an example, comparing pc game to that of a 360/ps3 hasnt really got a massive improvement for you to even mention as some kind of defence to the wii vs the ps3/360.

but yes nintendork fanboys now cry graphics dont make games fun, true graphics arent the only thing that makes games fun, but RE4 lets remember that game, all the nintendorks was saying the GC version was better graphics/models to the PS2 version, yup that was true but why is it now its aparently "not improtant"

hmm nothing like been spoon fed what to say/thing by nintendo is it lol if nintendorks say one thing, then next minute say different all because nintendo tell you to.

but to the point of the PS2, the fact is it was a older system, but this is where nintendo FAIL, unlike nintendo sony and MS actually make consoles that has resources to improve over the years, nintendo simply re release last gen hardware that devs have already reached its limits and FAILS to offer anything new other than wow a iFAD controller??

naa thanks, im sure if devs wanted to they could make the add on controller as optional to play games with.

I can tell from your post you haven't really looked into it.... For instance very very very few games on the PS3 or the 360 even run at 720P most of them are some odd number that gets upscaled. Meanwhile on my PC I crank up resolutions beyond 1080P hmmm yeah thats pretty awesome and go with multi monitor support! Zero upscaling so no compression artifacts ;) trust me they are there your just used to them.... just like your used to the horrible textures used in PS3 and 360 games because they have a minuscule 512MB's of RAM.... God I have literally thrown out PC's in the garbage with more RAM then that.. My video card has 1GB of GDDR5 and 800 processing elements lol

Yes PC gaming is way better then a game system at this point in time, so much so that its becoming a joke, most PC gamers are pissed off that the conversions they get from the 360 or the PS3 are graphically horrible. Play some games that are only made for the PC and not a conversion and the graphics will blow a game system out of the water.

But hey when facts don't work for your point of view, just make **** up.

And my whole point with both of these posts is that if you love games have fun on any system but graphics should not be your holy grail because if they are then NONE of the game systems would even be on your radar you would only be using a PC to game on at this point in time, by next year its only going to get worse....