PDA

View Full Version : Apple Patent Reveals Face Detection for iOS

garyopa
01-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Future iOS Devices Will be Able to Recognise Their Owners?

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000000432/icon_xl.jpg

Apple may be looking to add facial recognition to iOS, indirectly backing up previous iTV reports that Apple wants users to be recognized across multiple devices.

It might be Holiday Season and New Years, but for Apple they are busy at work filing new patents, and the latest one is following the path they started in 2009 with the original 'first presence detection patent', and then later a new '3D face and object recognition patent', and the latest seems to point towards a 'fast processing system' to quickly see that the 'owner' of the device is standing in front of the unit, maybe on iPhone to get rid of the 'slide to unlock' and 'password' functions.

The Advantages of Apple's Invention

Particular implementations of the subject matter described in this specification could be configured to realize one or more of the following potential advantages. The techniques and systems disclosed in this specification could reduce the impact of lighting and emphasize skin variance. By acquiring images with the appliance's own image capture device, the approximate location and orientation of face features could be pre-assumed and could avoid the overhead of other face recognition systems. The disclosed methods could ignore face biometrics, and rather use feature locations to normalize an image of a test face. Further, the face recognition techniques are based on a simple, weighted difference map, rather than traditional (and computationally expensive) correlation matching.

The iOS Device Acknowledging Presence

Apple's patent FIG. 1 shown below illustrates an iPhone with its face side camera sitting in a dock. The iPhone could be turned off while the camera could remain on. Panel 100 shows a potential user who is approaching the iOS device sitting in its dock. In response to the iPhone detecting (120) that the potential user has stopped in front of its face side camera, the iPhone will be able to transition to a new state (shown in patent point 102') to acknowledge the presence and attention of the potential user.

In some implementations, the iOS device acknowledges the presence of the potential user by turning on the display. Further in response to detecting the presence of the potential user, the iOS device could trigger a subsequent process for recognizing the potential user's face.

Could be configured to Recognize Faces in your Family or Workplace

Furthermore, the iOS device could be configured to recognize faces of a predetermined group (including a small number) of users that may login on the iOS device and could present each user with a personalized configuration (see patent point 142). For example, to comply with such personalized configurations, the iOS device could modify screen saver slide shows or other appliance non-security preferences.

I also see that patent point 142 noted above shows us that we could be greeted with a message saying Hello! Although that will likely be optional, I'm curious as to how Apple will implement such a feature. Will they use a text only greeting or will they venture out and introduce a more personalized greeting from Siri (if you're an iCloud subscriber, that is). Depending on your view of talking devices, that could either be cool or creepy (ha!).

You can read the full patent summary over at the source link below!

NEWS SOURCES: iOS Face Detection (via) ItProPortal (http://www.itproportal.com/2012/01/02/future-ios-devices-will-be-able-recognise-their-owners/) and Apple Envisions Face Presense Detection (via) PatentlyApple (http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/12/apple-envisions-face-presence-detection-security-for-ios-devices.html)

billysastard
01-02-2012, 07:03 PM
i wonder how facial recognition will work because to me all the hooded chavs scraping their knuckles around the streets look the same and i can see there being a few issues in certain parts of this country and other countries, i cant imagine an iphone with a "lift veil to unlock" option would be too popular.

DEDDOA
01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
So typical apple, this will turn up is about 18 months after the ice cream sandwich facial unlock feature (which by then will no doubt be more funtional and be used in by more than just the phone unlock), by which time it ill be bog standard on android phones, but as usual apple will convice the iSheep that it's another fantastic new feature for thier mobile appstores as opposed to playing catch up on standard phone features.

billysastard
01-03-2012, 11:42 AM
So typical apple, this will turn up is about 18 months after the ice cream sandwich facial unlock feature (which by then will no doubt be more funtional and be used in by more than just the phone unlock), by which time it ill be bog standard on android phones, but as usual apple will convice the iSheep that it's another fantastic new feature for thier mobile appstores as opposed to playing catch up on standard phone features.

have you seen that new st steve doll? $100, still i'm sure there will be plenty of i-sheep will buy it so they can place it in their personal temples (filled with outdated at launch i-crap), only thing is its not an apple product so comes complete with standard features like 2 arms, 2 legs and a head without the need to buy additional overpriced custom adaptors to install some of them and to wait for another generation or two before you can buy adaptors to use all the standard features.